Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Meet & Greet of OW Elites aboard CX flights..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Meet & Greet of OW Elites aboard CX flights..

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2013, 8:27 am

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
Originally Posted by midlevels
As a GO I was greeted twice recently. Once in Y from HKG-DEL and then once on the return when I was in PE. The second time was not a formal greeting but the FA remembered me from the previous flight by name and said hello. I was pleasantly surprised as nothing notable happened on that flight that would cause her to memorise my name. I certainly didn't remember her name, but did recognise the face.

Although I can confirm that for the last year or so (maybe more), the standard greeting for GO has all but disappeared and there's usually zero acknowledgement of any sort on the flight that you're any more valuable a passenger as the guy sitting next to you who doesn't even have an FFP number listed on the boarding pass

Fine, call me shallow, but I appreciate my loyalty being acknowledged. CX used to be much better at this. A few years ago when I flew less, I felt more valued as an SL than I do now has a GO.
It might not be standard anymore, but probably dependable on the crew for GO level. On my last HKG-YYZ flight I had a fantastic ISM and she came to greet me after take-off, and before landing came to thank me again. Upon disembarking at the door, she used my name to say goodbye to me. That is great personal service for a GO
Old May 23, 2013, 8:28 am

Programs: AA, UA, QF, TK, EY, NZ
I flew JFK-HKG a couple of days ago and was greeted Y+. That's all they have to do, it's not hard.. And adds a special touch of service. And I was also greeted in J on the next flight to DXB.
Old May 24, 2013, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
I'm going to go against the grain here and state up front that I couldn't care less about some greeting or another. Usually, I just want to be left alone, and I find the level of service in J and F (where I'm properly esconced most of the time) perfectly fine, I don't need to be greeted or whatever.
Old May 24, 2013, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Pickles
I'm going to go against the grain here and state up front that I couldn't care less about some greeting or another. Usually, I just want to be left alone, and I find the level of service in J and F (where I'm properly esconced most of the time) perfectly fine, I don't need to be greeted or whatever.
I concur. Prefer to be left alone too. And if I get greeted I prefer some sincere interest and not the mandatory "so good to see you again Mr Mrtnw, thank you for flying CX again"

Last edited by Mrtnw; May 24, 2013 at 2:42 pm Reason: correct autocorrect
Old May 28, 2013, 10:29 am

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
Did a SIN-HKG-TPE and vv route a couple days ago in J class. No greetings of any sort for all 4 sectors. I did see the ISM greeting a guy sitting across the aisle on one of the sectors. I assume that he is probably a DM.

I guess the greeting is now "restricted" to DM members?
Old May 29, 2013, 12:08 am

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Originally Posted by hclee01
Did a SIN-HKG-TPE and vv route a couple days ago in J class. No greetings of any sort for all 4 sectors. I did see the ISM greeting a guy sitting across the aisle on one of the sectors. I assume that he is probably a DM.

I guess the greeting is now "restricted" to DM members?
I had roughly the same experience. 1 of 4 segments had a greeting for me (which was given to somebody else because I switched seats--he looked thoroughly confused!)
One segment had greetings and water bottles all around us (in PEY) but nothing for us--my travelling companion wanted a water bottle too So I guess they didn't go down as far as Golds on that flight.
Old May 29, 2013, 12:58 am

Programs: CX MPC GO; Golden Circle nobody!
Got upgraded from ORD to HKG in J - no greetings
Flew HKG-TPE in Y and TPE-HKG in J - greetings
HKG - LHR in J - greetings (albeit a very very bad one)
Old May 29, 2013, 5:25 am

You have to use the greetings to your advantage. I always strike a small talk with the ISM when she greets me, and almost 100% of the time they mean it when they say "if you need anything, please let me know", when I say they mean it I mean they will come back once or twice to check on me and ask if there's anything else I need. Very good and personal services from then on.

Yes, if I am unlucky to get a very disinterested ISM that really just going through the motions, then the service usually reflects the ISM...
Old May 30, 2013, 4:15 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
IMHO- this is a tricky one - for a lot (I guess more than 50% of the flights), there's really no need and I do feel for the ISM feeling awkward in interrupting me (I usually have earphones on, and they feel esp bad on nonAVOD flights).

On the other hand, a fair few times the chat is interesting (like when they notice a book they've read near me, or talk about my final destination, or tell my wife seated next to me how lucky she is, or remember her love for CX Delight - one even asked 'been married over xxx time, right? when are the kids coming') - it definitely adds to the fuzz factor for the flight.
Old May 30, 2013, 10:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, National Executive
Just finished ORD HKG MEL return all in PEY. On only one flight (HKG-ORD) did I get 'the treatment' but that was the ISM who happened to be a Thai gal so I got the added bonus of embarrassing myself by speaking Thai to her. She didn't appear to be 'howdying' [สวัสดีค่ะ] everyone and since she addressed me by name, so I'll assume it was a status [AA PLT/OW Sapphire] 'run' on her part...
Old Jun 7, 2013, 8:39 am

Programs: CX GO (in hibernation mode), AA EXP, SPG GO, HH DM
just completed my rt from lax-cgk. was greeted only on one leg lax-hkg. all other legs was not greeted. oh wells....
Old Jun 7, 2013, 12:15 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
HKG-HND today in Y, no greeting or recognition at all (OWE). Mix of japanese and cantonese staff, and they were really really good, but no manager to be seen. Before I'd say the ISM looked me up on half of my trips.

(Second sector on JAL and they couldn't greet me enough, all managers came around to have a chat! That was also new to me)
Old Jun 7, 2013, 2:16 pm

i should also add that i flew back hkg - lax last week with a friend that's a DM and damn was there a night/day difference between how they treated him vs. me as a GO. was even able to briefly hang out in the wing f lounge...dayam! wish i had more money and time so that i could earn a DM status
Old Jun 7, 2013, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dek526
i should also add that i flew back hkg - lax last week with a friend that's a DM and damn was there a night/day difference between how they treated him vs. me as a GO. was even able to briefly hang out in the wing f lounge...dayam! wish i had more money and time so that i could earn a DM status
Access to F lounges has always been a standard DM/owEM benefit.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by CanucksHKG
Access to F lounges has always been a standard DM/owEM benefit.
i know...but i've never travelled with this friend so it was a first for me

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.