Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Amex Membership Rewards to Asia Miles Transfer Time

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Membership Rewards to Asia Miles Transfer Time

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2015, 11:41 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
!!! I no longer see Asia Miles as an option to transfer MR...did they change something recently?
Old Mar 1, 2015, 12:00 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat, AC, DL Plat, Amtrk SE, AmEx Plat, Bonvoy Plat (via SPG), HH Gold, Accor Plat, WOH Dis
Originally Posted by RXSF
!!! I no longer see Asia Miles as an option to transfer MR...did they change something recently?
Yes, it appears to be missing on the transfer page, however, Asia Miles is still listed as one of my linked programs. IIRC, this happened once before and it was a technical issue. You could still call AmEx to have the points transferred.

There is normally plenty of notice given prior to removing a partner, so hoping this is just a technical glitch.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 12:23 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
that's good to know, I was getting worried
Old Mar 12, 2015, 11:15 am

It seems now you can only transfer the miles to yourself, as they have automatically filled in the name for your Asia Miles info section during the transfer. I guess both names has to be 100% match in order for the transfer to be successful?
Old Mar 12, 2015, 10:56 pm

Programs: CX MPC
Originally Posted by GabL
I guess both names has to be 100% match in order for the transfer to be successful?
Possible, but as percysmith points out in post #38 in this thread, demanding a 100% match for given names could lead to all kinds of practical problems. Experience, in Hong Kong at least, is that they only seem to check whether the surnames match.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 10:10 am

Programs: DL Plat, AA EXP, UA 1K, AMEX Cent
Sorry to resurrect an old topic. I called Amex wednesday afternoon 11/11 and as of the 15th (sunday) points still haven't credited. Who should I call? Is this normal?
Old Nov 15, 2015, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by compuz1
Sorry to resurrect an old topic. I called Amex wednesday afternoon 11/11 and as of the 15th (sunday) points still haven't credited. Who should I call? Is this normal?
Please allow a couple more business days.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 2:31 pm

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
I have a JFK-HKG RT planned for April in J.

Am I correct that to upgrade to F it would be 60,000 Asia Miles each way?

If im transferring from Amex MR, I guess I need to see if F available, then transfer the 60,000 points, wait a few days until it gets into the AM account, and then hope the F is still available?

If its not available, am I SOL?

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by elg26
I have a JFK-HKG RT planned for April in J.

Am I correct that to upgrade to F it would be 60,000 Asia Miles each way?

If im transferring from Amex MR, I guess I need to see if F available, then transfer the 60,000 points, wait a few days until it gets into the AM account, and then hope the F is still available?

If its not available, am I SOL?

Thanks in advance.
According to Asia Miles site, it's 105,000 RT: https://www.asiamiles.com/am/en/rede...ghtawardfinder

I just spoke with Cathay customer service, she indicated that you don't need enough miles to request, you just need to have enough before the deadline to issue the ticket for your flight (I think this is ~72 hours before your first flight).

I'm working through a PE to Business upgrade and just learned this from Cathay customer service: If only your JFK>HKG upgrade comes through before the deadline, then you have the option of having them process that one upgrade for the equivalent of the one-way upgrade mileage requirement (60,000 miles). Then if the other upgrade comes through, that will also cost you 60,000 miles to but once you complete your flights, apparently you can call Cathay and have them credit the difference (120,000 - 105,000). They don't seem to have any other way of doing it so you just have to make sure you have at least 120,000 miles per RT upgrade you are trying to push through. Or 60,000 72 hours before your first flight, and another 60,000 72 hours before your return flight.

I just initiated a points transfer from Amex membership rewards to Asia Miles in the US, will report back how long it took.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 8:45 am

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by suziemay
According to Asia Miles site, it's 105,000 RT: https://www.asiamiles.com/am/en/rede...ghtawardfinder

I just spoke with Cathay customer service, she indicated that you don't need enough miles to request, you just need to have enough before the deadline to issue the ticket for your flight (I think this is ~72 hours before your first flight).

I'm working through a PE to Business upgrade and just learned this from Cathay customer service: If only your JFK>HKG upgrade comes through before the deadline, then you have the option of having them process that one upgrade for the equivalent of the one-way upgrade mileage requirement (60,000 miles). Then if the other upgrade comes through, that will also cost you 60,000 miles to but once you complete your flights, apparently you can call Cathay and have them credit the difference (120,000 - 105,000). They don't seem to have any other way of doing it so you just have to make sure you have at least 120,000 miles per RT upgrade you are trying to push through. Or 60,000 72 hours before your first flight, and another 60,000 72 hours before your return flight.

I just initiated a points transfer from Amex membership rewards to Asia Miles in the US, will report back how long it took.
Thanks for explanation. I spoke with both AM and Amex.... basically I have to roll the dice....I can transfer the 60K or 105K.....but cannot do anything to upgrade until it posts in AM....so if its not available which is likely since there are only 6 F seats.... I cannot use them and have to hold for some future trip...

Im contemplating just transferring 60K to reduce some of the risk,,,,but IDK...
Old Nov 20, 2015, 8:58 am

Thanks for explanation. I spoke with both AM and Amex.... basically I have to roll the dice....I can transfer the 60K or 105K.....but cannot do anything to upgrade until it posts in AM....so if its not available which is likely since there are only 6 F seats.... I cannot use them and have to hold for some future trip...

Im contemplating just transferring 60K to reduce some of the risk,,,,but IDK...
Reporting back that my Amex Membership Rewards points transferred in under 24 hours. I initiated transfer around 4PM yesterday, just checked and it's already posted to my Asia Miles account (11AM).

Do you travel on Cathay frequently? If it were me, I would make sure I have the first 60,000 miles for the first flight but that's because I'm a super nervous person (and I know I can use the miles in the future). If you don't, maybe just roll the dice and hope that if the upgrade comes through, your Amex points will transfer in under 24 hours like for me and you can confirm your upgrade.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 9:45 am

Reporting back that my Amex Membership Rewards points transferred in under 24 hours. I initiated transfer around 4PM yesterday, just checked and it's already posted to my Asia Miles account (11AM).

Do you travel on Cathay frequently? If it were me, I would make sure I have the first 60,000 miles for the first flight but that's because I'm a super nervous person (and I know I can use the miles in the future). If you don't, maybe just roll the dice and hope that if the upgrade comes through, your Amex points will transfer in under 24 hours like for me and you can confirm your upgrade.
Thank you for update... Im rolling the dice with 60K.... I fly them once a year so if it becomes NA, I could always hold it for next years trip.....
Old Nov 23, 2015, 6:52 am

Thank you for update... Im rolling the dice with 60K.... I fly them once a year so if it becomes NA, I could always hold it for next years trip.....
So my points posted Monday morning...after transferring on Friday. that was quick

So I called AM....of course with my luck, couple of days later my outgoing flight is now not available to upgrade to F... im like ... ..... I asked about my return....was put on hold for 10 LONG minutes while I held my breath and she returned to tell me she could upgrade me on my return.... SHEW!

So as long as my trip does not get extended I am looking forward to the CX F experience
Old Nov 23, 2015, 8:21 am

So my points posted Monday morning...after transferring on Friday. that was quick

So I called AM....of course with my luck, couple of days later my outgoing flight is now not available to upgrade to F... im like ... ..... I asked about my return....was put on hold for 10 LONG minutes while I held my breath and she returned to tell me she could upgrade me on my return.... SHEW!

So as long as my trip does not get extended I am looking forward to the CX F experience
Congrats! Your flight isn't for awhile, right? I'm not sure of First Class availability but seems like there could be a chance a seat opens up between now and then, just something to keep in mind. My Business upgrade came through last Thursday for a flight this Wednesday.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 12:07 pm

Congrats! Your flight isn't for awhile, right? I'm not sure of First Class availability but seems like there could be a chance a seat opens up between now and then, just something to keep in mind. My Business upgrade came through last Thursday for a flight this Wednesday.
thanks...yes not until April. Figure since I already allotted my transferred Amex MR already, im going to stick with the return. It will be a nice way to end a long business trip anyway....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.