Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Checking a bag between legs on a multi-leg flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2012, 5:12 am
Original Poster

Location: MEL, PER, PBO, occasionally ships, oil rigs and other places that no sane human being should ever find themselves
Programs: IHG RA, PC Plat, QF Plat/LTS

Later this month I'll be flying MEL-FRA via HKG (of course with CX) and would like to check a bag straight through to FRA but would also like to do some shopping in HKG during my layover. Is it possible to check a second bag HKG-FRA or is this prohibited due to the fact that I'm already checked in?
Old Aug 8, 2012, 5:52 am

Programs: CX GO by flying, ex-QF PS, AMEX Platinum, CA & KrisFlyer Nobody
Originally Posted by medic51vrf
Later this month I'll be flying MEL-FRA via HKG (of course with CX) and would like to check a bag straight through to FRA but would also like to do some shopping in HKG during my layover. Is it possible to check a second bag HKG-FRA or is this prohibited due to the fact that I'm already checked in?
Yes you certainly can. I have done this many times.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 5:59 am

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG
LOL. From the title, I thought you wanted to hold the bag between your legs!
Old Aug 8, 2012, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Location: MEL, PER, PBO, occasionally ships, oil rigs and other places that no sane human being should ever find themselves
Originally Posted by kamiao
Thanks kamiao.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by phlashba
LOL. From the title, I thought you wanted to hold the bag between your legs!
LOL.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by medic51vrf
Originally Posted by kamiao
Thanks kamiao.
You are welcome. Do check your luggage allowance though. You can do this only if you still have some luggage allowances left - otherwise you may expect to pay.

CX is generous given you are a QF WP but just in case... :-)
Old Aug 8, 2012, 11:29 am

Sorry to hijack the thread but thought this is somewhat relevant. Is it possible to do the following with two bags (within allowance for NorthAm flights):
Bag #1: Original Destination --> Final Destination (through checked in)
Bag #2: Original Destination --> Transit Point (HKG) Baggage Claim --> Shopping & Re-Packing --> Transit Point (HKG) Re-Check-in --> Final Destination

Last edited by torrento; Aug 8, 2012 at 9:25 pm
Old Aug 8, 2012, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by torrento
Sorry to hijack the threat but thought this is somewhat relevant. Is it possible to do the following with two bags (within allowance for NorthAm flights):
Bag #1: Original Destination --> Final Destination (through checked in)
Bag #2: Original Destination --> Transit Point (HKG) Baggage Claim --> Shopping & Re-Packing --> Transit Point (HKG) Re-Check-in --> Final Destination
I don't think this would present a problem. Your tickets to US should give you two bags of allowances for all legs. (But it's been a fact that I have never done this for my SYD-HKG-USA connections, only on other connections).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.