Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Does CX release more award seat close in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2012, 9:09 am
Original Poster

I am looking to book a J award in August.

Of course, there is no award availability given that August is high season.

Do CX release more award seat when the flight is closing in? Say, 1 week or even 2 days before the flight?

( The seat map is still showing plenty of open seats on the flight )
Old Jul 15, 2012, 9:50 am

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
yes they do.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:08 am

Programs: AA PLT, AC E35k
Yes, but it depends on load.

The seat map is not a good way of judging load, as many passengers may not have selected a seat yet or they are not eligible for seat pre-booking.

You can check loads using a website like ExpertFlyer (paid) or FlightStats (free).

http://www.flightstats.com/go/Flight...vailability.do

Last edited by yamanote8; Jul 15, 2012 at 1:14 pm
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA PLAT (2.8MM), DL Diamond, UA*S, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTE, Hilton DIAMOND, IHG PLT
Yes they do... LOVE Cathay award generosity ^
Old Jul 15, 2012, 1:05 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
CX can release seats if available, even at the last moment. However, August is peak. Flights are often overbooked depending on destinations. It is better to secure an upgradable economy seat, then upgrade if available. At least you can make it to the destination. The catch is that you may be paying a more expensive ticket if not upgraded.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yamanote8
You can check loads using a website like ExpertFlyer (paid) or FlightStats (free).

http://www.flightstats.com/go/Flight...vailability.do
Thank you for the link.
Flight Stats shows J/9 C/9 D/9 I/9 for the flight I want

If they do release more seats later, in general, would it be for Asia Miles / MCP members only? Or would I be able to book those seats with AA miles?

Thanks again!
Old Jul 15, 2012, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Plat Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carl Gold, IHG Plat
I have been tracking F award availability for CX for a July flight. It appears that all unused F space EXCEPT one seat are released to partners at T minus 5 to 8 days. The final space seems to be released to partners at T minus 1 day. i don't know if the same is true for J space but thought this info might be helpful.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by Ragnarok
Thank you for the link.

If they do release more seats later, in general, would it be for Asia Miles / MCP members only? Or would I be able to book those seats with AA miles?

Thanks again!
Asia Miles and MPC members who are waitlisted will get those seats first. And any leftover might then be released in the general pool for other FFP members.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 5:40 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Ragnarok
Thank you for the link.

Thanks again!
I have had very good luck with booking a sub-optimal route on AA, then switching to CX when the open up availability a week or two before the flight (free routing changes!). But then again, I've never tried it during a peak season.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 8:48 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by iamthehpt
I have been tracking F award availability for CX for a July flight. It appears that all unused F space EXCEPT one seat are released to partners at T minus 5 to 8 days. The final space seems to be released to partners at T minus 1 day. i don't know if the same is true for J space but thought this info might be helpful.
I've found it easier to get CX F last minute than J. I think last minute J as snapped up by corporations.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 9:07 pm

Programs: Centurion, Lan Platinum, ANA Mileage Club, HHonors D, SPG G
corporate travellers dont wait til the last minute just to snap up a cheap fare... The fact that they're in the office at a certain date is much more important than playing a waiting game where they decide to see whether a seat opens up.

Also, corporations let employees keep the miles they earn on travel
Old Jul 16, 2012, 9:52 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
By "last-minute J", I meant revenue J get snapped up by companies. CX knows that so my impression is that getting an award F seat last minute is greater than getting an award J.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
By "last-minute J", I meant revenue J get snapped up by companies. CX knows that so my impression is that getting an award F seat last minute is greater than getting an award J.
6 F awards on SFOHKG tomorrow. 4 available on each flight on the 22nd. Why bother looking for J if F is this easy to score?

Last edited by jamienbaker; Jul 17, 2012 at 1:28 pm Reason: typo
Old Jul 17, 2012, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by iamthehpt
This has also been my experience in past years, always US-originating in August. It is how I've been able to get a family of four into F on the 77W. Though in my limited experience, it is usually T-3 when the final space is released to partners.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
6 F awards on SFOHKG tomorrow. 4 available on each flight on the 22nd. Why bother looking for J if F is this easy to score?
4 available in F JFKHKG tomorrow. OK, I need to get back to work, or fly to HKG. I can't decide which.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.