Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAD Award Seats in J Limited to 2?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2018, 6:58 am
Original Poster

IAD Award Seats in J Limited to 2?

I've been checking J award capacity using AM miles for the IAD-HKG and HKG-IAD flights starting later this year and have never seen more than two J seats available on any flight. This holds true up to 330 days out from today. The BA search engine shows that other city pairs (JFK and ORD, for example) show up to five J seats available on any flight, yet only two seats on any IAD-HKG-IAD flight. A few questions for you all:
  1. Am I missing something? Has anyone successfully booked or even seen more than two J award seats available on the new flights to and from IAD?
  2. Are there any work arounds? For instance, has anyone had experience booking the max two J seats, and then another seat or two pops up on the same flight? Is it worth the risk to book two seats for a family of three to test if the third opens up?
  3. What are people's experience with waitlisting? I could book the two available J seats and then waitlist the third, hoping that one will open. Anyone have experience or a view on how feasible that would be?
Thanks -
Old Feb 21, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
For IAD, it's hard to speak authoritatively because a) it's a new route not yet launched, and b) it is using a new plane not even in the CX fleet yet (A350-1000). So double "we're not sure". All the other NA destinations you're looking at are existing and use existing planes on top of it.

For waitlisting in general, search around here - a lot of threads that have many follow-ups and good advice. In general waitlisting works but it is a solid advantage to have CX elite status. Still better to wait list with AM than keep checking with Avios or whatnot because AM (should) clears first before going to partners.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by ankdc
Am I missing something?
Yes.

Although many issues are remain unknown, the general principal of award flights is the airline awards frequent flyers with available seats that are unsold. To justify a new route, the revenue will be the key.

Why would any airline offer many redemption opportunities on new routes? It does not make economical sense.

Are there any work arounds?
Upgrade?

What are people's experience with waitlisting? I could book the two available J seats and then waitlist the third, hoping that one will open. Anyone have experience or a view on how feasible that would be?
I would say you have a good chance in waitlisting.

Although there is no data suggesting the HKG-IAD load, given that CX covers both NYC (JFK/EWR) and BOS, as well as the nature of Washington, D.C., it does not sound like the load will be as full as other cities (except ORD).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.