Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

OT : Another FA scandal - FA smoked and drank wine from the bottle in the galley?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT : Another FA scandal - FA smoked and drank wine from the bottle in the galley?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2012, 12:01 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by CX HK
While I'm fine with FA's eating pax food, hiding it from pax and saving it for themselves is not OK...
They do that all the time as well, particularly with the Chinese mains as CB talks about at breakfast time. I haven't been affected, however as a DM, but I might be pissed if I didn't have status. A few things to consider:

a.) Breakfast is hands-down the best meal CX does in long-haul J (IMO). There are so many different filling choices to choose from it's actually appetizing. Breads (usually including bagels, which although aren't great it's a nice touch, especially since they heat them), various cereals, yogurt, fruit and high-quality juice/smoothies for an airplane (usually Odwalla for ex-USA flights, and fresh squeezed OJ ex-HKG) all come BEFORE the main course, which usually includes two Chinese options (usually a dim sum variant and congee), and a western one. I usually find myself so stuffed from the fruit, breads, cereals and yogurt that I don't even take the main course. You could probably put down a 1200+ calorie breakfast meal with CX if you ate everything they offered. I cannot stand CX's food in J for lunch/dinner, but I find myself usually satisfied for breakfast because there is just so much.

b.) If you're a DM, I usually find FAs are able to scrounge up what you're looking for...maybe because they hold back a few for themselves. So ironically, them saving stuff for themselves tends to benefit DMs, because I cannot recall once where I've been denied the meal I wanted, even after they're "out".
Old Jul 12, 2012, 9:51 am

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
While I'm fine with FA's eating pax food, hiding it from pax and saving it for themselves is not OK...
I remember flying JFK-YVR-HKG in F.

When the plane landed in YVR for a crew change, I heard one of the flight attendants say in Cantonese "remember to take the cheese cake".

I was the only passenger on the JFK-YVR leg and remember only having had one piece of cheese cake for dessert.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 5:36 pm

Programs: CX GO by flying, ex-QF PS, AMEX Platinum, CA & KrisFlyer Nobody
Originally Posted by daniellam
I remember flying JFK-YVR-HKG in F.

When the plane landed in YVR for a crew change, I heard one of the flight attendants say in Cantonese "remember to take the cheese cake".

I was the only passenger on the JFK-YVR leg and remember only having had one piece of cheese cake for dessert.
That means they just took your leftover with them. I find it OK though. You can imagine maybe each of them took a few pieces as they are no longer wanted. It's certainly not appropriate to use those leftover cheesecake to serve the next flight.

If they keep it away from you and never give you what you are entitled, then that's not ok. It's interesting to wonder what they would do if you say you want all the leftovers.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 7:31 pm

Leftover

I honestly have no issues with F/As taking home the leftover food or eating passengers' food, after all passengers have selected their meals and completed their meal services. As long as passengers receiving their choices regardless of status or opup, the F/As can eat as much as they want, and take them home.

As we all know, most of the food can't really be recycle so most airlines throw them away. In the US, all leftover food are burnt and can't be recycled. I have a feeling that Australia and New Zealand are strict with leftover food too. So if F/As can consume it, let them do it. For first class passengers, please always remember to ask the F/A save your entree selection or other items, if you decide to do your meals outside of the planned periods.

About other amenities and toiletries, I honestly don't care much. As long as no passenger is affected, that is fine with me. It is really hard to keep track as some passengers also take those amenities home especially on some routes. I think it is a waste of money to put undercovers to track these activities. The money can be best spent otherwise. I feel that it is CX attempt to start a new array of union-busting activities especially the senior crew. As a passenger, the junior crews are very lacking at this moment, and CX needs to try to maintain these senior crews to up keep their service, rather than trying to find ways to let go of them.

Anyway, CX F/As should know better on what to post and what not to post on your facebook pages. Let be frank! Facebook and twitters and other social media outlets are not really private and please use common sense. If you want funny pictures, do something more innocent. I personally have no issues with the Victoria Beckham incident because I am sure the plane is already in the ground or during mid-flight. If VB sits there for landing, I think that is a major safety violation, but for an mid-flight gag picture, that is acceptable and it is fun. VB at least looks and acts more like a real person.

Carfield
Old Jul 12, 2012, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by Carfield

Anyway, CX F/As should know better on what to post and what not to post on your facebook pages. Let be frank! Facebook and twitters and other social media outlets are not really private and please use common sense. If you want funny pictures, do something more innocent. I personally have no issues with the Victoria Beckham incident because I am sure the plane is already in the ground or during mid-flight. If VB sits there for landing, I think that is a major safety violation, but for an mid-flight gag picture, that is acceptable and it is fun. VB at least looks and acts more like a real person.

Carfield
I think you have a misunderstanding here. The CX FA didn't post the pics to any social media. He WhatsApp messengered the pics to his friends. His friends then spread it to other ppl then someone send them to Apple Daily.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 9:54 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by kamiao
I think you have a misunderstanding here. The CX FA didn't post the pics to any social media. He WhatsApp messengered the pics to his friends. His friends then spread it to other ppl then someone send them to Apple Daily.
Not sure if he originally sent the pics through whatsapp but the pics were spreading through whatsapp for sure.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by JALPak
Not sure if he originally sent the pics through whatsapp but the pics were spreading through whatsapp for sure.
You can be sure that a CX memorandum would be handled down from management that any employee caught (like this one) who sends inappropriate photos around will be suspended..

I'm sure the FA in question - whether he did so innocently or not, will have actioned taken..
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:16 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by QRC3288
That's not really what I'm talking about. I'm talking about FAs taking 6 or 7 bottles of lotion, a few bottles of kleenex, and a bottle or two of wine from the galley and slipping them into their suitcase each time they fly. Apparently it's endemic at CX.
Couldn't they get all that loot from hotels with less risk? couple rolls of toilet paper, and a box of kleenex each stay?
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
Couldn't they get all that loot from hotels with less risk? couple rolls of toilet paper, and a box of kleenex each stay?
Oh you bet! Psychologically speaking, people with this type of mind will take away things from everywhere... including salt and pepper bags from McDonalds.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: QFF SG, VA SL, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
id take all the toiletries (and everything else not nailed down) if i was CX cabin crew being paid 15k a month
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by yohy?!
id take all the toiletries (and everything else not nailed down) if i was CX cabin crew being paid 15k a month
That would be considered stealing... and its in the Terms of Contract when you are signed up as staff.

That was what happened to one FA. Innocently she took a box of tissues from a flight after landing in Sydney. A routine search by customs brought that up and to the attention of other staff, and all I know (at the time) was that she was fired and there was nothing the union can do about it. Yes, its just a box of tissues..

If they can get away with it, fine. But in this case of this woman, she didn't.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
That would be considered stealing... and its in the Terms of Contract when you are signed up as staff.

That was what happened to one FA. Innocently she took a box of tissues from a flight after landing in Sydney. A routine search by customs brought that up and to the attention of other staff, and all I know (at the time) was that she was fired and there was nothing the union can do about it. Yes, its just a box of tissues..

If they can get away with it, fine. But in this case of this woman, she didn't.
Maybe this is off the track. Some grocery stores and restaurants has policy that forbids unsold food though not good enough for sale or any leftovers be taken off the premises by staffs, this is to discourage abuse and in-fighting. Management will rather throw them in the garbage or donate them to food banks if quantity justifies but not give them to their own staffs. This may sound stupid, wasteful or create resentments but at least it is fair across the board for everyone if the rule is strictly applied. Resulting customers will always get the best and even the last piece of the goodies since there will be no reservation within the staffs to eye it for themselves when the evening and in this case flight is over.

There is always a price to pay,even if it is free. A true case: I know a fellow who used to work in a restaurant in his yourger days. Any remaining booze in the bottle left by diners after the meals, he used to drink it. Though it was free drink then, it turned into a habit and now he is paying for it since he cannot stay off the bottle.

So my advice to the young FA in the picture, think as if you were paying for the drinks and the smokes though they may be free now, but the price is hefty down the road. That's the price of bad habit will cause to your health and you do not want to pay later.

Last edited by travelbug38; Jul 13, 2012 at 3:24 pm
Old Jul 13, 2012, 8:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
2 ways to this: opened bottles and not. I tend to believe that anything thats partially opened should be up for grabs-this would mean after everyone who is entitled had their share, ie after each f flyer had all the cheesecake they want.

Getting unopened btls/stuff/ things can be left (say spirits) are way off track.

Thats why i like some shops i frequently patron in the uk, that sells off expiring food at a v low price for shoppers AND. Staff.
Whilst in hk they just dump it out
Old Jul 13, 2012, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by kaka

Thats why i like some shops i frequently patron in the uk, that sells off expiring food at a v low price for shoppers AND. Staff.
Whilst in hk they just dump it out
I think they are trying to change it now, at least for supermarkets and such.

My personal favorite is Pret a Manger, as they donate all their unsold foods ^
Old Jul 14, 2012, 5:00 am
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
A friend of mine who works at SQ says it is so rare for crew to take items off the plane. At SIN and other destinations, they are searched by customs officials. If there is any theft, it is reported to SQ and the appropriate action is taken.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.