Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

OT : Another FA scandal - FA smoked and drank wine from the bottle in the galley?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT : Another FA scandal - FA smoked and drank wine from the bottle in the galley?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2012, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by JALPak
But wouldn't the galley be one of the busier places on the ground during a short layover? I assume they have to clean up, unload and load the meals, etc.

Just curious, is it against regulations to smoke while the plane is parked on the ground with doors open?
I've only seen minimal activity in the galley during layovers. They just remove the used cart and replace it with a freshly replenished one. Doesn't take that long at all. Most of the activity usually happens in the cabin and washrooms during cleaning, and the cockpit where we get paperwork and such. Sometimes, the cabin crew will eat quickly after serving the passengers or sometimes they will eat once all passengers have disembarked upon arrival.

Of course! Smoking is not allowed at any time. Especially during refueling where a small accident can turn into something much much worse.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 3:33 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
I wonder if this is related to CX clamping down on ISMs and SPs lately for stealing stuff when onboard flights. Apparently it's fairly standard for a lot of the crew to steal kleenex boxes, bottled water, wine, lotion, etc. I'm not just talking here or there, I know of some cabin crew who casually talk about the heaps of stuff they have at home, having taken them off CX flights. They just fill up their bags when on board. CX has known about it for a while, and apparently recently (last month is when I heard about it) is putting folks on board planes as undercover pax in efforts to catch the senior crew members doing it.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by QRC3288
I wonder if this is related to CX clamping down on ISMs and SPs lately for stealing stuff when onboard flights. Apparently it's fairly standard for a lot of the crew to steal kleenex boxes, bottled water, wine, lotion, etc. I'm not just talking here or there, I know of some cabin crew who casually talk about the heaps of stuff they have at home, having taken them off CX flights. They just fill up their bags when on board. CX has known about it for a while, and apparently recently (last month is when I heard about it) is putting folks on board planes as undercover pax in efforts to catch the senior crew members doing it.
Pretty interesting story but I can't figure out how this could possibly be related in any way? Drinking the wine now on-board now that they can't steal it back home or is this retaliation?
Old Jul 11, 2012, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Another Victoria Beckham case...

Next time - don't take a picture when you try to do something stupid...

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Apparently it's fairly standard for a lot of the crew to steal kleenex boxes, bottled water, wine, lotion, etc.
It is not a standalone case with CX. In fact, it happens in all airlines.

One classic example is a FA ate a banana from the F cabin and claimed that was crew meal instead of snacks (The bananas were in fact snacks from F)...
Old Jul 11, 2012, 7:50 am

Programs: CX GO by flying, ex-QF PS, AMEX Platinum, CA & KrisFlyer Nobody
I somehow don't get personally offended by this case.

I know it's definitely inappropriate as it's against the guideline... however the feeling is different from the ones I had when learning the "sxxking scandal" and the "VB scandal" - maybe no obvious safety concerns involved in this case?
Old Jul 11, 2012, 8:02 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by garykung
It is not a standalone case with CX. In fact, it happens in all airlines.

One classic example is a FA ate a banana from the F cabin and claimed that was crew meal instead of snacks (The bananas were in fact snacks from F)...
That's not really what I'm talking about. I'm talking about FAs taking 6 or 7 bottles of lotion, a few bottles of kleenex, and a bottle or two of wine from the galley and slipping them into their suitcase each time they fly. Apparently it's endemic at CX.

CX crew can actually eat pax food onboard (except caviar) if there are leftovers, they'll do it all the time right in front of you - if you've flown a bit on CX and have popped into the galley during an off time you will undoubtedly have noticed this. Frankly, however the food they're packed by CX (it's different from pax food) looks more appetizing than the pax food. It's usually more normal stuff like sandwiches. The banana thing you're talking about is nitpicking....what I'm talking about is pretty clear-cut theft, and my understanding is that there is now a concerted effort by CX to weed out the FA leadership who partake in it by trying to catch them in the act.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:00 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by kamiao
I somehow don't get personally offended by this case.

I know it's definitely inappropriate as it's against the guideline... however the feeling is different from the ones I had when learning the "sxxking scandal" and the "VB scandal" - maybe no obvious safety concerns involved in this case?
Depends on how much wine he drank and when did he smoke that cigarette. I definitely don't want a drunk FA during emergency or the plane to blow up with my luggages in it during refueling
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
So they hate all HKG based airlines LOL
Similarly, CBC actually helps the AC unions with full coverage of every single strike.
They haven't said anything about the AI strike which is much worse...
Old Jul 11, 2012, 2:50 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
I think the plane is on the ground. I can't imagine other FA won't stop/ report this kind of behavior, esp smoking. And don't they have smoke detector?
Old Jul 11, 2012, 2:52 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by adamak
I think the plane is on the ground. I can't imagine other FA won't stop/ report this kind of behavior, esp smoking. And don't they have smoke detector?
Even on the ground, I can't believe others won't stop or report smoking.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 4:50 pm

Programs: CX GO by flying, ex-QF PS, AMEX Platinum, CA & KrisFlyer Nobody
Originally Posted by adamak
Even on the ground, I can't believe others won't stop or report smoking.
Maybe others are doing the same?
Old Jul 11, 2012, 6:21 pm

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Maybe it is an e-cigarette?.. If you look in the photo, the end of the cigarette isn't glowing/there is no ash like would be expected after someone taking a drag on a real cigarette.

Last edited by pogonation; Jul 11, 2012 at 6:30 pm
Old Jul 11, 2012, 8:31 pm

Programs: CX DM, Mileage Plus
The guy was only pretending to smoke with a small piece of dry ice in his mouth. You can clearly see that the cigarette is not lit. He is still in big trouble because the company has previously issued serveral notices to staff that regarding taking pictures in uniform...

As for taking stuff off flights, they still do it everyday...CX rarely checks them unless someone within the crew file a report at landing as sa revenge to another crew member...They still take all kind of stuff except for wine now as empty bottles has to be return to catering for "recycling to protect the environment." As for caviar, there is a reason why pursers newly trained for first class would gain a significant amount of weight....
Old Jul 11, 2012, 8:32 pm

More than once I have overheard FAs talking to each other what types of food to saved for themselves before they serve for the meals. Once I overheard they saved "a bunch" of congees for themselves, and when it is my turn (in J) they told me no more congee. I told them it's too bad and I would just like to tell the ISM about it and suggesting to her to tell CX to stock more congee because most pax like it, immediately the FA told me "oh, let me double check for you..." and came back with a plate of congee. Apparently she is afraid that the ISM will go check and find a few plates of congees they have saved for themselves (my guess).

So yes, I can see why CX is cracking down on FA abusing food/drink rules on board the flight. It also gives the airline less incentive to stock really good wines when it is the staff that drinks most of it.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
More than once I have overheard FAs talking to each other what types of food to saved for themselves before they serve for the meals. Once I overheard they saved "a bunch" of congees for themselves, and when it is my turn (in J) they told me no more congee. I told them it's too bad and I would just like to tell the ISM about it and suggesting to her to tell CX to stock more congee because most pax like it, immediately the FA told me "oh, let me double check for you..." and came back with a plate of congee. Apparently she is afraid that the ISM will go check and find a few plates of congees they have saved for themselves (my guess).

So yes, I can see why CX is cracking down on FA abusing food/drink rules on board the flight. It also gives the airline less incentive to stock really good wines when it is the staff that drinks most of it.
While I'm fine with FA's eating pax food, hiding it from pax and saving it for themselves is not OK...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.