Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Companion Award - can passengers travel separately?

Old Jul 8, 2012, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

I know the rules etc state that both passengers must travel together - but are there any circumstances that anyone is aware of or any examples when, for example, two passengers on a companion award ticket travel outbound together but then separately on the inbound?

Thanks
Old Jul 8, 2012, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
I think you need to travel together at all times
Old Jul 10, 2012, 7:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Too many to list
There was girl on the flight from AMS to HKG last week denied boarding due to the fact her partner was not with her, this was at check in, she had to buy a one way biz class seat and was told it would be jump seat. She eventually got 80K which is normally used by flight crew. God knows how much she had to pay. Whole flight was fully booked in all classes.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:38 pm

Unfortunately, I think its called "companion" for a reason - you must be with your companion.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses, confirming, unfortunately, what I thought to be the case. Looks like i'll have to buy another ticket inbound as travelling with my companion will be near impossible. Anyone have any idea on the validity of companion awards? Will it just tag to the validity of the purchased ticket?
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:51 pm

Programs: CX GO by flying, ex-QF PS, AMEX Platinum, CA & KrisFlyer Nobody
Originally Posted by mayodave
There was girl on the flight from AMS to HKG last week denied boarding due to the fact her partner was not with her, this was at check in, she had to buy a one way biz class seat and was told it would be jump seat. She eventually got 80K which is normally used by flight crew. God knows how much she had to pay. Whole flight was fully booked in all classes.
Thanks for letting us know about this - it's the first time I heard about how CX handles this type of situation.

It's still unclear that:

1. If it's not her but her partner (i.e. not the companion but the main ticket holder), will he/she got DB? (I guess it's OK?)
2. Is she got DB because she travels on a different flight from the main ticket holder? or they suppose to travel on the same flight but the main ticket holder didn't show up?
Old Jul 11, 2012, 3:58 am
Suspended

All I heard was that her partner could not travel with her and she needed to get back to HKG.They were having none of it at check in. The only reason I know is because I was using the first class check in and the supervisor needed to use that terminal to see what could be done and the women in question was on the next check in to me which was business class. I heard her talking to the FA during the flight and she was just glad to be getting back and so grateful to the flight crew who gave up the pilots sleep seat.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 9:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
All I heard was that her partner could not travel with her and she needed to get back to HKG.They were having none of it at check in. The only reason I know is because I was using the first class check in and the supervisor needed to use that terminal to see what could be done and the women in question was on the next check in to me which was business class. I heard her talking to the FA during the flight and she was just glad to be getting back and so grateful to the flight crew who gave up the pilots sleep seat.
im surprised they clamp these down. i'd see this just like a oneway GV2 ticket.
I've seen 1 no show on GV2 tickets but nth really happened...
Old Jul 11, 2012, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
I believe in this case, her companion was most likely a member of staff and that she herself was on a buddy pass that required her to be accompanied. Normal passengers would not be allowed to sit on jump seats! They need to be on normal seats.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 5:04 am
Suspended

could be the case as we was having a good old chat to the flight crew when we disembarked

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.