FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   Cathay Potential A380 Order (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1349879-cathay-potential-a380-order.html)

KrazyTrain18 May 25, 2012 8:46 am

Cathay Potential A380 Order

http://www.focus.de/finanzen/news/wi...id_758025.html

The article is in German, so translate if possible. In John Leahy's outlook he hints that Airbus is very close to an A380 order from CX and will be announced at Farnborough. Exciting times...I hope this order happens !

percysmith May 25, 2012 8:53 am

Cathay Pacific or HK Airlines I wonder?

It's just that the A380 is such a bad fit for CX (operations-wise) and good fit for HX (market positioning- and egos-wise) that I really think the German magazine might have mistook the hint and named the wrong airline!

blackmamba May 25, 2012 8:56 am

This is really odd. Is CX under the control of China's Aeronautical Board? If so, aren't they really strict about A380 orders? I remember an Air China country representative telling me that CA has been denied numerous times for a bid for an A380 and that aircraft sees perfect for CA operations.

Dr. HFH May 25, 2012 9:02 am

Translation (from Google Translate):

Airbus expects surge in orders for A380

The aircraft maker Airbus expects despite the damage to his image crack-ridden flagship A380 with a new surge in orders.

"It is not easy, but we want to collect this year, orders for 30 A380," Airbus sales chief John Leahy said on Thursday in Toulouse - a good six weeks before the big air show in Farnborough. In the new long-haul A350 Leahy holds this magnitude to be realistic. On the mass market of medium-range aircraft, he sees the power of rival Boeing broke 60 percent market share to Airbus are permanently available.

Where do the new jobs for the double-decker A380, should not be said Leahy. The airline Emirates, which had ordered 90 copies and in some cases has been in operation in December made ​​a further order in view. A380 Marketing Director Richard Carcaillet also hinted that the airline Cathay Pacific could sign an order. With the companies from Hong Kong Airbus negotiated for several years. For the A380, the manufacturer has about 180 orders on the books. This year, 30 of the double-decker aircraft left the factory buildings. However, plans to slow down the wing parts production.

Overall, Airbus plans to collect this year, over 570 gross orders for aircraft - more than this year will be built. Of which were achieved after the first four months only 112 - and at the same time conceding 17 cancellations. Typically, many deals will be announced on the major air shows. Is close to London from the 9th July the Farnborough Air Show at.

It was not until 2013, the crack-prone mounting brackets are replaced in the wings of the A380 aircraft delivered to date by 74 newly developed parts of another metal alloy. According to program director Tom Williams make each jet by about 90 kilograms heavier.

In new machines, the new parts are installed before 2014 - all others must again after delivery for repair. Only usually in the current year, the problem the group is expected 260 million euros - plus 105 million from last year and further charges 2013th

"We thought we had the technology under control," said Airbus CEO Tom Enders. Now, the problem would cost Airbus' money and reputation, "said the manager, who aufrückt soon at the head of parent company EADS. From the problems of the A380 you have learned a lot - especially about the combination of conventional and novel materials. This should also benefit the development of the A350.

The new high-tech aircraft such errors should not happen. The A350 will have 53 percent of carbon fiber composites. 2013, the first A350-machine to take off, early to mid-2014 is the delivery of the first jets provided. The schedule is still "challenging," EADS was CFO Hans Peter Ring says only a few days. How quickly ramping up production, Airbus wants to say yet. 548 orders have already been received, from 2018 to ten copies each month to leave the assembly lines.

At the same time, Airbus is the production of similarly sized, conventional long-haul A330 aircraft further. Both aircraft to compete with the Boeing models 777 and 787, nicknamed the "Dreamliner" and carries the A350 consists largely of composite materials. "Since the announcement of 787 in 2004, we have sold more A330s than ever before," said Leahy. The upcoming Airbus chief Fabrice Brégier expects the model in the coming decade, still good business.

In the medium-range planes Leahy looks at the success of the Airbus A320neo the cards in the competition for the rival Boeing 737 newly mixed, "Boeing can keep the current market allocation of 50 to 50 only if they squander their powerful 737 with rebates."

Last year, Airbus had its U.S. rival set with the A320neo in a tight spot: It was not until the Europeans within a few months, orders for more than 1,000 copies of the trimmed to save fuel "neo" waved chose Boeing, the 737 under the name 737-MAX also make new engines with more fuel efficient. Each of the manufacturers now claims to be renewed model has the lowest operating costs.

Airbus in orders to date is far in front, 2011 was the market share of Europeans in the segment at 70 percent. The medium-range jets get through the lowest profit margins, however, make the world from about 70 percent of the aircraft market. Leahy expects the contract to continue dancing for the A320 family. China alone is expected this year, the manager orders for more than 100 medium-haul jets.

Top of climb May 25, 2012 9:07 am

Originally Posted by blackmamba (Post 18640818)
This is really odd. Is CX under the control of China's Aeronautical Board?

No. Civil aviation is one of the areas which falls under one country, two systems.

Top of climb May 25, 2012 9:22 am

Cathay has always indicated that it would be reviewing its ULH requirements this year including the A380 and the B748. John Slosar said as much in a WSJ article a couple of days ago (google news "Cathay Pacific" and it will come up).

N830MH May 25, 2012 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 18640801)
Cathay Pacific or HK Airlines I wonder?

It's just that the A380 is such a bad fit for CX (operations-wise) and good fit for HX (market positioning- and egos-wise) that I really think the German magazine might have mistook the hint and named the wrong airline!

Actually, HX has already on firm orders the A380 last summer. I'm pretty sure if they will orders the A389 aircraft. If they ever launched it.

Jimgotkp May 25, 2012 10:43 pm

After talking to a 744 CX pilot he did mention a possibility of A380 orders as well. He also told me that they (CX pilots) call the A380 the "v-word". :D

KrazyTrain18 May 26, 2012 12:11 am

There is always the possibility of an order, but the most likely roue is put off A380 or 748I orders until the 777X is available and order it.

N830MH May 26, 2012 1:09 am

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp (Post 18644267)
After talking to a 744 CX pilot he did mention a possibility of A380 orders as well. He also told me that they (CX pilots) call the A380 the "v-word". :D

So...the pilot told you about orders the entire A380? When they did happen? Maybe A380-900?

Cathay Boy May 26, 2012 2:15 am

You meant to write "Cathay Potential A380 Disaster", because that's what the orders will mean, a disaster for CX's overhead. If they think they couldn't sustain their old 747s now, imagine how those gas-guzzling A380 will look like in another economic downturn...

Jimgotkp May 27, 2012 1:32 am

Originally Posted by N830MH (Post 18644551)
So...the pilot told you about orders the entire A380? When they did happen? Maybe A380-900?

He mentioned that they were looking into the A380s after my flight in mid-March.

percysmith May 27, 2012 1:42 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
You meant to write "Cathay Potential A380 Disaster", because that's what the orders will mean, a disaster for CX's overhead. If they think they couldn't sustain their old 747s now, imagine how those gas-guzzling A380 will look like in another economic downturn...

Is it just me or have SQ and QF done far more seat sales after getting A380s and flying them to HK? Does CX really want that for itself?

midlevels May 27, 2012 6:53 am

A380 has a horrible track record with engine blowouts. With so few A380 flights and so many in-air issues, would CX really consider to add them?

cartman7110 May 27, 2012 1:49 pm

I doubt it any purchase of the A380 would be considered this year, not unless the price is WAY too good to be ignored.

I would assume CX is looking at the 777x than jumbo planes.