Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Trying to Status Match to CX; Not Enough Time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2012, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K

Hello CX Forum,

Since I'm moving to HK later this year, I'm planning to request a status match to CX Silver. I'm currently an AC Elite member, having traveled ~90k miles in 2011 and ~15k miles in 2012YTD (with another ~20k booked through the end of March).

I'm in a bit of a tricky situation because a last minute trip just came up for the coming Monday. I'm booked on AA (via AAirpass from my employer) in Y, but instant upgraded to F.

A few questions:
1) Is there any way CX can status match and set up my account by Monday?
2) If not, can I take the flight on Monday without crediting it to my AA account, with the intention of crediting it to CX later once my account is up?
2b) This is less important, but if I do go this route (of taking my AA FF number off), will I lose my upgrade?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Feb 24, 2012, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by AC888
1) Is there any way CX can status match and set up my account by Monday?
Nope, considering it is Sunday, there is definitely not enough time to set up a status match by Monday.

2) If not, can I take the flight on Monday without crediting it to my AA account, with the intention of crediting it to CX later once my account is up?
You can credit your Marco Polo account now, or if you don't have one, I believe you can receive Asia Miles later but you cannot receive Club Miles or Club Sectors.

2b) This is less important, but if I do go this route (of taking my AA FF number off), will I lose my upgrade?
Not too sure on this - do you mean your upgrade has already been confirmed?
Old Feb 24, 2012, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by CX HK
Nope, considering it is Sunday, there is definitely not enough time to set up a status match by Monday.
Got it.

You can credit your Marco Polo account now, or if you don't have one, I believe you can receive Asia Miles later but you cannot receive Club Miles or Club Sectors.
I see. Unfortunately, I don't have a Marco Polo account right now. Was hoping to avoid the membership fee through the status match.

Not too sure on this - do you mean your upgrade has already been confirmed?
Yes, the upgrade is confirmed. But if I'm not going to have a Marco Polo account set up in time, and there is no way to retroactively credit to a Marco Polo account in the future, then this point is moot anyways. I guess I'll just stick to earning on AA for my OW flights for now. I was thinking of switching to CX because I'll be flying a lot more CX in the future, and I heard CX treats its own elite members much better than those of partner OW airlines.

In any case, thanks for all your input!
Old Feb 25, 2012, 12:24 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
According to AM T&C, you may only credit miles earned 1 month prior to membership commencement. For MPO, it is unclear.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 12:25 am

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
A status match would probably take 1-3 weeks to process.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.