Best flight to take, JFK to HKG

Old Feb 17, 2012, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Best flight to take, JFK to HKG

Getting ready to book Cathay Pacific First Class from JFK to HKG. We will then continue on to Bangkok. Our first trip to Asia.

Seem to be three options for the JFK-HKG leg:
Just after midnight
9 AM
2 PM

Can you experienced Asia travelers give me a hint about what would be the best flight to take and the one that would maximize my CP First Class experience? Appreciate any feedback. Many thanks.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 8:55 am

I just did the 2pm flight. I enjoyed it because you get both lunch and dinner. I got caviar with both meals!
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:19 am

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG
You might see this thread from yesterday: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...g-via-yvr.html
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:34 am

Programs: FT
wow...lots of threads on the same topic...
Old Feb 17, 2012, 11:32 am

Programs: CX MP Gold
I just flew JFK-HKG-BKK on February 4th and took the 9am flight. I like it because you can get to BKK the next day at around 6PM which gives you time to get through customs, get to the hotel and get dinner. If you take the 2pm flight then you arrive in BKK at midnight.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 2:46 pm

I normally target the arrival time more than the departure time. Since I normally don't sleep well on planes, I try to arrive in the evening, so when I can land exhausted, I can fall asleep right away.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 5:30 pm

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by worldtravelernyc
I just flew JFK-HKG-BKK on February 4th and took the 9am flight. I like it because you can get to BKK the next day at around 6PM which gives you time to get through customs, get to the hotel and get dinner. If you take the 2pm flight then you arrive in BKK at midnight.
When did you sleep while flying? I see myself having trouble trying to sleep since most of the JFK-HKG flight is during the day. And then I'd only have a recliner on the HKG-BKK flight.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 6:58 pm

Programs: CX MP Gold
Originally Posted by Wiirachay
When did you sleep while flying? I see myself having trouble trying to sleep since most of the JFK-HKG flight is during the day. And then I'd only have a recliner on the HKG-BKK flight.
I just skip my morning coffee and once the lights go off after the first meal service I switch on a movie and it doesn't take long. If you can't fall asleep they have a great selection of movies and tv shows on demand.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 7:07 pm

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG
If on the day of travel you force yourself to wake up at 2:00 or 3:00am you will be ready to sleep by the time you board and have a meal. The window shades will be closed to facilitate sleeping.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 3:01 am

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
Originally Posted by Wiirachay
And then I'd only have a recliner on the HKG-BKK flight.
not totally accurate, I came back from BKK on Monday on a new 777 ER and had a lie flat bed, slept like a baby all the way.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 4:14 am

Programs: US Gold, Marriott Silver
I was on the 9am flight this morning and am thinking I will try for the 2pm next time. I arrived at roughly 2pm without having slept much on the flight, so that is many hours for me to stay up before I can sleep in the hotel and try to get on local time.

A couple years ago I took the overnight one-stop flight, and found that worked well. It left late enough that I was tired, so I was able to sleep for a couple hours, land in YVR, sleep, watch a movie and some TV, sleep some more and found my body adjusted quite well to local time by the time I landed.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Think I'll shoot for the 2 PM and happily settle for whatever I can get!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.