Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

The Wing Balcony Level Business class lounge finally reopens Feb!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX Marco Polo GR,DL Skymiles, SQ Krisfyer,PH Mabuhay Miles, HH gold, BWR Diamond

I just read from my Marco Polo newsletter that finally CX will complete the Wing Balcony Level Business lounge renovation, the last time I visited, only the first floor is open. CX will renovate the wing first class lounge next.

That means the noodle bar and long bar will now be back in the Wing, and what's new is the coffee loft.

What I'm curious is what type of coffee will be served at the loft. Will it only be just simple hot brewed coffee? There there will be various coffee variants like hot mocha, iced mocha, or ice blended coffee creations just like starbucks.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 7:32 am

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
Very exciting, will certainly use it next month!
Old Jan 19, 2012, 8:13 am

Programs: FT
nice. will check out in early mar.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 8:57 am

Did it give a date in Feb? I'm heading through HKG in early Feb.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Marco Polo GR,DL Skymiles, SQ Krisfyer,PH Mabuhay Miles, HH gold, BWR Diamond
Originally Posted by b-hqb
Did it give a date in Feb? I'm heading through HKG in early Feb.
The Wing Level 7 (balcony level) Business Class lounge re-opens

Enjoy the new look of The Wing Level 7 (balcony level) as the Business Class lounge at Hong Kong International Airport re-opens in early February 2012.

The lounge’s new design retains the iconic open ceiling, contributing to a sense of openness and space, while remaining sensitive to the original minimalist aesthetic, marrying solid “China Black” Granite, fresh white marble and warm natural bamboo. The lounge offers a wide range of seating, including 26 unique Cathay Solus Chairs designed around the needs of the individual traveller, 129 armchairs and sofas, and 259 bar and dining stools.

Classic features such as The Noodle Bar and The Long Bar remain key elements of the new space. Made-to-order hot noodles and Chinese buns are available, as well as an expanded selection of Western and Asian buffet dishes. A new feature – The Coffee Loft – has also been introduced, providing passengers with one of the best views in the airport as they enjoy a cup of freshly brewed coffee or tea, and a range of delicious pastries baked on the premises.

Cathay Pacific will soon begin the next phase of renovations to revamp its First Class lounge.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 2:30 pm

Programs: CX-SL, A-Club
Perfect, just in time for my Feb trip to be cancelled...at least I can check it out come the early March trip. Bummed about the loss of 17,000 miles for a JFK-HKG-TPE round trip though...shooting for DM this year.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ DM+, CX DM, LH SEN
I look forward to seeing it on my next trip though. I'll be dropping from Diamond to Gold this year so I'll definitely be visiting when I can.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 5:57 am

Programs: QF WP
Hope it's opened on or before the 12th?
Old Jan 20, 2012, 6:02 am

Programs: CX MPC Gold, ICH Plat Amb
The Wing will still remain closed until next month. I expect the other lounges will be overcrowded again during Chinese New Year travel peak.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 6:47 am

Programs: CX Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by livetutravel
The Wing will still remain closed until next month. I expect the other lounges will be overcrowded again during Chinese New Year travel peak.
Well, part of the Wing will remain closed to be precise.

But I wonder why so few people bothered to try the QF lounge during the renovation period (I'm talking about CX GO here of course). I had quite a few trips this month all departing HKG in mid-morning. The Cabin was always crowded and finding a seat was a challenge, so for one of my trips I decided to visit the QF lounge. Only 4 guests were inside and I was able to spend some quiet time there. At that time actually there was CX flight assigned to gate 15.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 12:33 pm

Programs: Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by roquejo
What I'm curious is what type of coffee will be served at the loft. Will it only be just simple hot brewed coffee? There there will be various coffee variants like hot mocha, iced mocha, or ice blended coffee creations just like starbucks.
Ugh Starbucks It's the coffee world's McDonald's. Would much prefer to see them get inspiration from Blue Bottle Coffee.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 1:01 pm

Programs: CX-SL, A-Club
Originally Posted by hamallu
Ugh Starbucks It's the coffee world's McDonald's. Would much prefer to see them get inspiration from Blue Bottle Coffee.
As long as they have a commercial-grade espresso machine, and a good barista, this will be amazing. Highlight for me of the Sydney QF lounge was the coffee...and after a couple of weeks in China, the espresso in the HK lounge was a savior!
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:24 pm

Programs: CX MPC Gold, ICH Plat Amb
Originally Posted by hadsst
Well, part of the Wing will remain closed to be precise.

But I wonder why so few people bothered to try the QF lounge during the renovation period (I'm talking about CX GO here of course). I had quite a few trips this month all departing HKG in mid-morning. The Cabin was always crowded and finding a seat was a challenge, so for one of my trips I decided to visit the QF lounge. Only 4 guests were inside and I was able to spend some quiet time there. At that time actually there was CX flight assigned to gate 15.
All of the CX lounges are always crowded. I agree the QF lounge is a better place to relax before the flight. The only thing that turns me away from the QF lounge is the food which is basically no food.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 6:41 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by livetutravel
All of the CX lounges are always crowded. I agree the QF lounge is a better place to relax before the flight. The only thing that turns me away from the QF lounge is the food which is basically no food.
And for a period of time, there was no mobile phone reception in the "dungeon". And quite a few people use this lounge as well between around 1800-2330, when the QF/BA flights are all departing to Au or LHR. At all other time, you'll probably find the lounge deserted - e.g. on one Sunday afternoon, I was the only pax there for 2 hours...

But yes, it really feels like a dungeon, being on the lower level, with no windows at all.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 8:00 pm

Programs: JL Sapphire, Aegean Gold, Accor Platinum, HHonours Gold
Originally Posted by BikeNerd
As long as they have a commercial-grade espresso machine, and a good barista, this will be amazing. Highlight for me of the Sydney QF lounge was the coffee...and after a couple of weeks in China, the espresso in the HK lounge was a savior!
The Sydney QF lounge also has a fresh gelato station next to the barista during lunch hours

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.