Wiki Posts
Search

Book now or after Feb 12

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2012, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Book now or after Feb 12

Hi,

I'm looking to book a round-trip Y ticket from YVR to HKG for April/May, so should I book now or wait until after the system upgrade?
Old Feb 5, 2012, 3:14 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club
I would do it after the switchover to avoid the system losing your reservation during the process. I would also wait a few days after the switchover though just so the dust settles and everything is running smoothly
Old Feb 6, 2012, 3:13 am
Original Poster

I am not really worried about the system losing my reservation. I just wanted to find out whether the prices will go up or down after the upgrade, or if anyone knows of a sale coming up. (I'm a student, so I'm trying to save some money.)

Oh, and can someone with the KVS tool please check the availability for economy for CX889 YVR-HKG Apr 22, and CX888 HKG-YVR May 12 please? Thank you very much in advance!

Last edited by briguychau; Feb 6, 2012 at 3:21 am
Old Feb 6, 2012, 7:30 am

Programs: CX Marco Polo GR,DL Skymiles, SQ Krisfyer,PH Mabuhay Miles, HH gold, BWR Diamond
I can relate to this....

I have exactly the same problem..and on the same route too!!

too book or not to book YVR before Feb 11.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 3:50 am

Programs: QF WP
I have the joy of flying on 12 Feb... hope I can get onboard.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 6:57 am

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
Originally Posted by Awesom Andy
I have the joy of flying on 12 Feb... hope I can get onboard.
Bring paper copy of e-ticket to be sure! Hopefully there will be no problems, CX has been planning this for some time.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 2:33 pm

I have personally oversaw and directed many major IT upgrades for many service industry companies that heavily relies on them, and the switch is always seamless and we never had to warn customers about them, never had to shut them down for service for a couple of days, and never warn customers about possible issues and they have to bring paper copies.

I try to avoid using strong words on CX because I love the company and their services so much. But CX IT has gone from unimpressive to downright incompetence in my opinion. I know CX doesn't have their own IT department and relies on outside help (so I was told here), but seriously, in the year 2012, this is the best any IT company in Hong Kong can offer?
Old Feb 7, 2012, 5:15 pm

Programs: CX Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
I have personally oversaw and directed many major IT upgrades for many service industry companies that heavily relies on them, and the switch is always seamless and we never had to warn customers about them, never had to shut them down for service for a couple of days, and never warn customers about possible issues and they have to bring paper copies.

I try to avoid using strong words on CX because I love the company and their services so much. But CX IT has gone from unimpressive to downright incompetence in my opinion. I know CX doesn't have their own IT department and relies on outside help (so I was told here), but seriously, in the year 2012, this is the best any IT company in Hong Kong can offer?
Well, you may want to read what WestJet did when they changed their system to Sabre two years ago...

http://blog.jetblue.com/index.php/20...ekends-cutover

They warned their customers about it, they shut down their service (reservation, OLCI etc) down for a couple of days, they warned their customers about possible issues.

Do you think WestJet IT is downright incompetent?
Old Feb 7, 2012, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by hadsst
Well, you may want to read what WestJet did when they changed their system to Sabre two years ago...

http://blog.jetblue.com/index.php/20...ekends-cutover

They warned their customers about it, they shut down their service (reservation, OLCI etc) down for a couple of days, they warned their customers about possible issues.

Do you think WestJet IT is downright incompetent?
If those things happened? Yes.

Again, it's freaking 2012 not 1992. Seamless upgrades should be the norm, especially for major corporations. I would really love to get an invitation to visit the CX IT headquarter and see what kind of shop they are running there...
Old Feb 7, 2012, 8:10 pm

Programs: GE, AA PLT/2.6MM, BR Gld, Royal Carib. DM+, Celebrity Elite, NCL PLT, Princess Elite

On the other hand...

I've been involved in countless airline system switchovers from the airline end, and I can tell you that there has never been one that has gone smoothly. Period. Virgin America is still having issues from their switchover in October(!).

Expect the worst and hope for slightly better. I agree with the above, if you are traveling on switchover day, bring a hard copy of your e-ticket with you and and documentation showing seat assignments.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 11:15 pm

If those things happened? Yes.

Again, it's freaking 2012 not 1992. Seamless upgrades should be the norm, especially for major corporations. I would really love to get an invitation to visit the CX IT headquarter and see what kind of shop they are running there...
Cathay has been quite active in recruiting experienced project & programme managers recently. Send in your CV/ resume and see what happens.

Just noticed that the "systems upgrade" thread in the United section is now at 35 pages - as ak333 says, all airlines seem to have issues with these major changes
Old Feb 8, 2012, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by peasant
Cathay has been quite active in recruiting experienced project & programme managers recently. Send in your CV/ resume and see what happens.
Haha. Thanks for the reminder. But the thought of living in Hong Kong gives me the chill. Don't get me wrong. I love Hong Kong as a tourist city. But I am used to big houses with multiple big rooms with a big yard. Got to be a Billionaire to do that in Hong Kong, and I'm no billionaire....
Old Feb 9, 2012, 9:40 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, AA, CX Asia Miles, United MileagePlus, HHonors

Last edited by cloudeleven; Feb 10, 2012 at 8:27 am
Old Feb 9, 2012, 10:32 am

Programs: MPC GR, GC Jade, OZ DM, MVP GO, AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Diamond, Marriot Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by briguychau
I am not really worried about the system losing my reservation. I just wanted to find out whether the prices will go up or down after the upgrade, or if anyone knows of a sale coming up. (I'm a student, so I'm trying to save some money.)

Oh, and can someone with the KVS tool please check the availability for economy for CX889 YVR-HKG Apr 22, and CX888 HKG-YVR May 12 please? Thank you very much in advance!
oh, i see someone on a same flight as myself for Apr 22 CX889. I'll find out later when I call my TA frd on KVS.
but base on experience these flights gets pretty full due to many students flying back and op-up a lot of members
Old Feb 9, 2012, 12:40 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by briguychau
[KVS Availability Tool 6.9.5/Diamond - Sabre: Availability/FS/US]
Code:
YVR  Vancouver Metro / Intl BC CA = YVR CXH [CYVR]
HKG  Hong Kong Intl HK [VHHH]
SUN  22 Apr 2012

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  -----------------------------------------------------------------
CX         889     YVR   02:45     HKG   06:55     773      F4 A4 J9 C9 D9 I9 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L0 V9 S9 N0 Q0 O0
AC         7       YVR   13:50     HKG   17:55     77W      R9 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9 N9 G9 P9 E9 J9 C9 D9 Z9
UL/AC      2007    YVR   13:50     HKG   17:55     77W      J0 C0 D7 Z7 Y7 B7 M7 U? H7 Q7 V7 N7 W7 G7 S7 P7 T7 E7 L7 A2 K7 R7
CX         839     YVR   15:00     HKG   19:00     744      F4 A4 J9 C9 D9 I9 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9 O9
[KVS Availability Tool 6.9.5/Diamond - Sabre: Availability/FS/US]
Code:
HKG  Hong Kong Intl HK [VHHH]
YVR  Vancouver Metro / Intl BC CA = YVR CXH [CYVR]
SAT  12 May 2012

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  -----------------------------------------------------------------
CX         888     HKG   00:30     YVR   21:25     773      F2 A1 J9 C9 D9 I9 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N0 Q9 O3
CX         838     HKG   16:35     YVR   13:20     744      F4 A4 J9 C9 D9 I9 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M4 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0
AC         8       HKG   19:50     YVR   16:35     77W      R1 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9 N9 G9 P9 E9 J9 C9 D9 Z9
UL/AC      2008    HKG   19:50     YVR   16:35     77W      J4 C4 D7 Z7 Y7 B7 M7 U? H7 Q7 V7 N7 W7 G7 S7 P7 T7 E7 L7 A2 K7 R7

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.