Community
Wiki Posts
Search

why no pre-ordering of meals on cx?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2014, 4:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
why no pre-ordering of meals on cx?

why doesn't cx look to implement a pre-ordering meal service a la sq's book the cook? arguably could save costs and allows for more passenger choices? have to say that the stock standard meals they wheel out in J don't look to be the most appetising
Old Dec 31, 2014, 7:06 pm

Programs: CX DM, QF PL
apparently it is a system issue which is being upgraded in first half of 2015. I was told to expect meal ordering 3Qtr
Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:49 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by ermen
why doesn't cx look to implement a pre-ordering meal service a la sq's book the cook? arguably could save costs and allows for more passenger choices? have to say that the stock standard meals they wheel out in J don't look to be the most appetising
And you think the options provided by CX book to cook will be more appetizing? I don't even know if CX will provide more options for that matter if preorder is available.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by JALPak
And you think the options provided by CX book to cook will be more appetizing? I don't even know if CX will provide more options for that matter if preorder is available.
i hope they do! at the moment catering in J is miles behind the competition in my view...
Old Jan 1, 2015, 5:47 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
If you don't mind Indian food and flying F, just order the HNML (Hindu meal).

I order the HNML when flying CX F as their non-Chinese option usually consists of a beef main course or a pasta main course. Personally, I don't like eating beef on planes (too easy to overcook) and not a fan of pasta or Chinese food.

By ordering the HNML, I usually get some kind of Indian curry that dosen't have beef in it.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 11:15 am

Programs: AS GOLD
I love Indian food but never thought about ordering Hindu meal as special meal. I have LAX-HKG-KUL coming up in F & J. I ordered the Hindu food for HKG-KUL section to try out. I dont eat Beef or Lamb. The description says no beef. Hopefully i dont get the lamb. hahaha.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by SESTAR
I love Indian food but never thought about ordering Hindu meal as special meal. I have LAX-HKG-KUL coming up in F & J. I ordered the Hindu food for HKG-KUL section to try out. I dont eat Beef or Lamb. The description says no beef. Hopefully i dont get the lamb. hahaha.
Unfortunately the HNML can sometimes include lamb.

On CX F, I was once offered an appetizer with cold slices of lamb drizzled with green chili chutney on a bed of salad.

If you can't eat lamb, I suggest you get the AVML (Asian Vegetarian Meal) which is actually an Indian style vegetarian meal.

CX seems to be one the the carriers that get the taste of their HNML and AVML right.

However, don't order an AVML or HNML on US carriers such as UA! One time UA gave me a plate of stewed apples with cinnimon as their AVML (it was disgusting and totally inedible)!
Old Jan 2, 2015, 6:30 pm

Programs: SQ PPS SOLITAIRE, AA ,HHONOR GOLD, BONVOY GOLD, IHG PLAT
AVML J class meals out of LAX/SFO are horrible.

I am vegetarian, and I now request a normal meal out of LAX/SFO. They always have a vegetarian pasta option. I don't get a vegetarian appetizer, but at least the main dish is (usually) ok.

AVML meals out of HKG are ok in comparison.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 9:14 pm

Programs: AS GOLD
Originally Posted by daniellam
Unfortunately the HNML can sometimes include lamb.

On CX F, I was once offered an appetizer with cold slices of lamb drizzled with green chili chutney on a bed of salad.

If you can't eat lamb, I suggest you get the AVML (Asian Vegetarian Meal) which is actually an Indian style vegetarian meal.

CX seems to be one the the carriers that get the taste of their HNML and AVML right.

However, don't order an AVML or HNML on US carriers such as UA! One time UA gave me a plate of stewed apples with cinnimon as their AVML (it was disgusting and totally inedible)!
Oh, I was going to take my chance on that short hop from HKG to KUL. It's an evening flight. I think i will semi preload myself some light meal at the lounge. And praying for no lamb Hindu meal. Haha. Say if I didn't like the special meal, I can get the regular meal right assuming that they still have left over?
Old Jan 2, 2015, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by SESTAR
Oh, I was going to take my chance on that short hop from HKG to KUL. It's an evening flight. I think i will semi preload myself some light meal at the lounge. And praying for no lamb Hindu meal. Haha. Say if I didn't like the special meal, I can get the regular meal right assuming that they still have left over?
The HNML will most likely be some sort of chicken curry.

In J, the meals are all loaded on a tray by tray basis (one for each pax). So it looks like that if you don't like the special meal, there might not be enough regular meals for you. For the special meal tray, your appetizer and dessert will most likely be different from those of the regular meal.

In F, special meals such as HNML are loaded as a set of 1 appetizer, 1 main course and 1 breakfast main course (or second meal main course). As such, it is expected that you mix and match with the regular menu. The dessert and other items (salad, caviar, snacks etc) are to be chosen from the regular menu.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.