Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 29, 2013, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
This 2014 and prior thread is now closed. Please continue discussion here: Best Credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2015
Print Wikipost

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2012, 6:46 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith
The offer T&C is here: http://www.bankcomm.com.hk/mediafile...f_11203_en.pdf
The form is here: http://www.bankcomm.com.hk/mediafile...f_11202_en.pdf
Hongkongcard.com also has a thread on this here http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...ow.php?id=6477

Full disclosure though - if new customers applied direct http://www.asiamiles.com/am/en/earn/...0007d21c39RCRD they will get 6,000AM...applying through this offer only gets them 5,000AM (referrer gets min 1,000AM, max 30,000AM).

The referrer must somehow compensate the new customer for the miles foregone by using the referral form.

kaka - I'm reading clause 10 of the T&C "10. Referrer choosing Asia Miles will get 1,000 Asia Miles for each successful Referee referred" - referrer earns the basic 1,000AM - my comprehension correct?
mmh you're right. i take it i missed it when i was taking the bus...

anyway, how long does it take fubon to charge the 150 admin fee for converting asiamiles? seems to take quite a while!
Old Feb 5, 2012, 10:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Amex Centurion:

1 mile per HKD 4.00 overseas spend ^ No limit/cap. (200 HKD "admin fee" per transfer).
1 miles per HKD 6.00 domestic spend. (not qualifying to be in this thread IMHO )

Last edited by forumpersona999; Feb 5, 2012 at 10:57 pm Reason: Added "ADMIN FEE" :(
Old Feb 5, 2012, 11:30 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by forumpersona999
Amex Centurion:

1 mile per HKD 4.00 overseas spend ^ No limit/cap. (200 HKD "admin fee" per transfer).
1 miles per HKD 6.00 domestic spend. (not qualifying to be in this thread IMHO )
Same rates as DBS Black (as long as you want Asia Miles).

So why do it? You don't need to maintain status with the Centurion through spending once you've qualified for Centurion. Unless they give you some spending target for rewards, I've heard this happens with the IDC Centurion but not sure about the HKD.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 1:28 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Same rates as DBS Black (as long as you want Asia Miles).

So why do it? You don't need to maintain status with the Centurion through spending once you've qualified for Centurion. Unless they give you some spending target for rewards, I've heard this happens with the IDC Centurion but not sure about the HKD.
No spending incentive on HKG Cent. Amex premium (Plat/Cent) cards aren't very good value in HKG I find. But for completeness sake I just wanted to throw in the Centurion2AsiaMiles numbers.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by forumpersona999
No spending incentive on HKG Cent. Amex premium (Plat/Cent) cards aren't very good value in HKG I find. But for completeness sake I just wanted to throw in the Centurion2AsiaMiles numbers.
Fair enough but list not intended to cover every HKG AM-earning card. Argurably the foreskin card (Standard Chartered Platinum) also earns Asia Miles but it gets whacked around by every other card as if it has the Clap.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 6:55 am

Programs: SQ QPP1, HYATT DIA, SPG GOLD, HH GOLD, IHG GOLD
With the CNY Promo that had ended yesterday, I think all of us are eagerly awaiting HSBC's next Promo (which could well start tomorrow)
Old Feb 7, 2012, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by MilesBuzz
With the CNY Promo that had ended yesterday, I think all of us are eagerly awaiting HSBC's next Promo (which could well start tomorrow)
Naah typically card cos go quiet in February. Everyone's more or less with Christmas/CNY shopping and are going to pay/have paid some pretty large tax bills. Promos don't come back on in March.

Seems like a good idea I re-applied for a couple of cards in Jan.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 9:01 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

i wouldnt add it in because i do not think many HK Centurion members/users would be bothered by the difference in asiamiles by using any other cards (and the fact that i'm lazy as heck)
It's not any better nor worse than DBS Black, but it really doesnt matter and affects few ppl...
Old Feb 8, 2012, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by kaka
i wouldnt add it in because i do not think many HK Centurion members/users would be bothered by the difference in asiamiles by using any other cards (and the fact that i'm lazy as heck)
It's not any better nor worse than DBS Black, but it really doesnt matter and affects few ppl...
Centurion/DBS Black is not a direct comparison, cos Centurion earns Amex MR points which can be used to get Virgin (me me me), SPG, HHonors and other hotel points http://www.americanexpress.com/hk/en...ards/ftr.shtml .

Also although you can argue you can redeem BA with AM and TG with KF, there may be a slight advantage redeeming for the carrier's own miles cos that gets you access to upgrades (that's why I stayed away from KF - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...club-2.html#23 )
Old Feb 9, 2012, 7:03 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Centurion/DBS Black is not a direct comparison, cos Centurion earns Amex MR points which can be used to get Virgin (me me me), SPG, HHonors and other hotel points http://www.americanexpress.com/hk/en...ards/ftr.shtml .

Also although you can argue you can redeem BA with AM and TG with KF, there may be a slight advantage redeeming for the carrier's own miles cos that gets you access to upgrades (that's why I stayed away from KF - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...club-2.html#23 )
for clarification - does Centurion have a lower conversion rate to AM (only), or it has a better earn rate than the other AMEXs(so conversions to other programs are also better)?

anyway, for the discussion of this thread, I thought we only talk about AM here- afterall i try real hard not to talk about AMEX to SPG/PC/HHonors...
Old Feb 9, 2012, 11:27 pm

for clarification - does Centurion have a lower conversion rate to AM (only), or it has a better earn rate than the other AMEXs(so conversions to other programs are also better)?

anyway, for the discussion of this thread, I thought we only talk about AM here- afterall i try real hard not to talk about AMEX to SPG/PC/HHonors...
AE Green/Gold Credit/Charge with Turbo Program ($240) applied, or Plat Credit/Charge (Turbo Program by default), earns 2 MR points/$ for first 160K spending, 1MR point thereafter. 15 pt/1 mile, so earn rates are $7.5/mile for first 160K spending and $15/mile thereafter.

You cannot use the Turbo Program with Centurion, it has Infinte Rewards instead. 1.5 pts/$ local and $3 overseas --> $10/mile local and $5/mile overseas.

http://www.americanexpress.com/hk/en...ms_basic.shtml
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:32 am
Suspended
Original Poster

AE Green/Gold Credit/Charge with Turbo Program ($240) applied, or Plat Credit/Charge (Turbo Program by default), earns 2 MR points/$ for first 160K spending, 1MR point thereafter. 15 pt/1 mile, so earn rates are $7.5/mile for first 160K spending and $15/mile thereafter.

You cannot use the Turbo Program with Centurion, it has Infinte Rewards instead. 1.5 pts/$ local and $3 overseas --> $10/mile local and $5/mile overseas.

http://www.americanexpress.com/hk/en...ms_basic.shtml
so its got better MR earn rates. and same conversion rates
Old Feb 10, 2012, 3:46 am

so its got better MR earn rates. and same conversion rates
It depends. The breakeven point between Turbo and Infinite is $320,000 spending. Below that, Turbo (Amex Plat Charge, Credit)'s better. Above, Centurion.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 2:19 am
Suspended
Original Poster

It depends. The breakeven point between Turbo and Infinite is $320,000 spending. Below that, Turbo (Amex Plat Charge, Credit)'s better. Above, Centurion.
oh god... i cant read. i just realized the difference. surely i need to take some reading classes. then how did forumpersona999 get $4/6 per AM?!?
Old Feb 11, 2012, 5:41 am

oh god... i cant read. i just realized the difference. surely i need to take some reading classes. then how did forumpersona999 get $4/6 per AM?!?
Don't worry, I too forgot Amex is 15 MR points/mile and didn't point out forumpersona999's wrong math until I redid the calculations myself. Must be too stressed in the office .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.