Wiki Posts
Search

Is CX that bad?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2010, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3 Gold, AA Plat
Is CX that bad?

We are planning our trip to Asia this Summer and I keep hearing the horror stories about CX's new seats. We will be traveling from SFO to HKG, SIN, KUL, and PVG. Right now, I can choose to fly CX all the way through or SQ just to HKG and then LCCs such as Jet Star and Air Asia for the rest. I just have a few questions before I make the decision.

How are the seats in CX's 744? Will they be that bad for people between 5'3" to 5'6"?

How does StudioCX compare with KrisWorld?

How's the service and food compared to SQ?

Should I buy CX all the way through or SQ plus all the other LCCs?

If I chose the CX way, which departure from HKG should I choose? There is a midnight flight that arrives in SF at 10PM and a 14:00 that arrives SFO at around 11. Usually, the time difference wouldn't really affect me for flights arriving in the morning. I normally will be able to sleep usually around the early evening or late night and wake up at around 5-6. I never tried a night time arrival since I used to live in Shanghai where SFO arrivals are in the morning.

Oh yeah, is $1300 reasonable for SFO-KUL-HKG-SFO? Can it go any lower?

For SQ, their sale ends Mar 31 for flights until Jun 1. Should I wait past Mar 31 to see whether they have sales for later?

Last edited by arthursiew; Mar 9, 2010 at 6:12 pm
Old Mar 9, 2010, 5:59 pm

First, Business or Economy ? It kinda makes a difference.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eamus
First, Business or Economy ? It kinda makes a difference.
Economy.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 6:34 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
I have no problem with the new Y, but others may.

USD1300 SFO-KUL-HKG-SFO is reasonable if you depart between June and August. These seats may be gone by May or perhaps sooner.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
I have no problem with the new Y, but others may.

USD1300 SFO-KUL-HKG-SFO is reasonable if you depart between June and August. These seats may be gone by May or perhaps sooner.
Our departure date is June 28 and returning on August 10, 11 or 12. How does StudioCX compare with KrisWorld. When you recline the seat, how's the legroom for people between 5'3 and 5'6?
Old Mar 9, 2010, 6:55 pm

Programs: CX MPC SL, PR Mabuhay, OZ Silver, SIA Krisflyer, QR Qmiles, Hotelclub Platinum Member
Originally Posted by arthursiew
Our departure date is June 28 and returning on August 10, 11 or 12. How does StudioCX compare with KrisWorld. When you recline the seat, how's the legroom for people between 5'3 and 5'6?
I am 5'8 and i do not have any problems with the legroom, it should be sufficient for people between 5'3 to 5'6 even if you recline your seat. As for the IFE, personally i think Studio CX is better than KrisWorld. The only thing you have to watch out with CX's new seat is your back.. you might end up having a backache if you spend too long a time sitting in it
Old Mar 9, 2010, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ryan_stoneworld
I am 5'8 and i do not have any problems with the legroom, it should be sufficient for people between 5'3 to 5'6 even if you recline your seat. As for the IFE, personally i think Studio CX is better than KrisWorld. The only thing you have to watch out with CX's new seat is your back.. you might end up having a backache if you spend too long a time sitting in it
How does it make your back ache? Is there a way to prevent this like put a pillow behind or something?
Old Mar 9, 2010, 7:11 pm

I am 178cm (5'10) and have no problem. I slide my feet under the seat in front.

June - August is peak season. If you go to HKG and KUL, that price is reasonable. There may be other ways to get lower fares (perhaps flying roundtrip to KUL - not necessarily on CX, and do a round trip to HKG on Air Asia).

I like the CX programmes because there are Cantonese movies (the English movies are very good too).
Old Mar 9, 2010, 7:43 pm

Programs: CX MPC SL, PR Mabuhay, OZ Silver, SIA Krisflyer, QR Qmiles, Hotelclub Platinum Member
How does it make your back ache? Is there a way to prevent this like put a pillow behind or something?
There is some sort of a plastic frame in the seat back, putting a pillow might help but it does not work for me, i still feel the pain after a long flight.

For the $1300 price, i personally think it is reasonable if this is V class, this is usually the lowest mile earning rate from North America to Southeast Asia
Old Mar 9, 2010, 7:59 pm

Programs: JL Sapphire, Aegean Gold, Accor Platinum, HHonours Gold
Food in Y is better on SQ than CX. Service is very good though robotic on SQ. In CX's Y class service can be a little inconsistent. as to IFE I prefer CX's system, but however if you fly to KUL you may well be on a plane using an inferior system that does not use AVOD. Ditto for SQ.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by ryan_stoneworld
For the $1300 price, i personally think it is reasonable if this is V class, this is usually the lowest mile earning rate from North America to Southeast Asia
Yes, that should be a mileage earning booking class, although not necessarily V.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

The only thing I'm really worried about right now is the seats. As long as it doesn't break my back or something, I'll be fine. I'm only worried because it will be a 20 hour journey to KUL and then another 12 hours back to SFO.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 9:11 pm

Programs: JL Sapphire, Aegean Gold, Accor Platinum, HHonours Gold
The only thing I'm really worried about right now is the seats. As long as it doesn't break my back or something, I'll be fine. I'm only worried because it will be a 20 hour journey to KUL and then another 12 hours back to SFO.
If you are travelling in Y class, there is no magic solution to your problem irrespective of who you fly with unfortunately.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hau cheng
If you are travelling in Y class, there is no magic solution to your problem irrespective of who you fly with unfortunately.
Well, I never heard of any bad stories with SQ's new Y seats. I was just wondering if it was bad enough that I should book SQ instead.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 11:30 pm

I've just flown CX from SFO-HKG-SFO. I've never experienced such uncomfortable seats. Backs don't recline. Seats only slide forward a little. Worst experience ever.

In addition, I smelled curry circulating in the air two hours before meals being served, probably for those special meals passengers. Nauseating experience and I love curry.

Last edited by lavedder; Mar 9, 2010 at 11:38 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.