Birthday Upgrade?

Old Aug 29, 2016, 8:36 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by carmy
Just got off HKGSIN as a GO on my birthday, and didn't get anything at all.

I was already booked in J, so obviously no upgrade was expected since there isn't F on this sector. Instead, I think CX went out its way to make the flight as awful as possible.

First they were delayed. Fine, I get these things happen all the time, and I'm used to it.

Second, they switched me into a window seat between my online checkin and arrival at the airport. This really annoyed me as I really prefer the aisle, and the flight just got off to a bad start. I'm also surprised they would pick a GO to switch seats at the last minute, without asking.

Third, no greeting from the ISM. Because I had asked at the gate about the possibility of a seat swap, I saw in the system that there was a special service note for the birthday. In caps, the text was GREETING REQUEST FOR BIRTHDAY. Anyway, the ISM didn't do anything, but she did greet the DMs around because I saw her saying hello to quite a few pax.

So I guess the moral of the story: as usual, it's always about the crew you get on CX. A lousy ISM will just ignore you and hope they get away with it, while a good one will make sure you have a great flight.
At least you were in J... You may if have time dig out what I had for my birthday flight TPE-HKG in Y...

Seat swapped away? Checked (At least was aisle to aisle... from H seat to G seat... because of aircraft rotation if I remembered correctly...)
Occupied adjacent seat? Checked (There're empty seats in front and behind me)
No greeting? Checked (Yes I was already DM)
Being treated as transparent? Checked

But I've really forgot why I was in Y that day but not utilizing my ex-TPE ticket...
Old Aug 29, 2016, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by kawaii
it seems like they won't bump both people, even if you are on the same PNR (as we were).
Yes, this is true - I got bumoed from J to F as a GO on HKG-MNL, but I traded it with the (rather surprised) lady who had been upgraded from Y to my J seat. So she got a double upgrade and I got to sit (actually sleep) alongside my wife.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 8:54 pm

Programs: CX DM (OWE), Accor Gold
Originally Posted by kawaii
For my last birthday upgrade, I was flying with the missus and they told me that they could only bump me up to J (it was a short haul flight) and asked if I still wanted it. I took it and gave it to the missus but it seems like they won't bump both people, even if you are on the same PNR (as we were).
I read one GO' blog that his wife and he both got updrade from Y to C on flight HKG to ZRH, when he travelled on his birthday.

Again, there is no solid rule for birthday updrade.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 10:05 pm

Programs: CX GR, SPG/MR GE, Ritz Plat, Hilton S
Originally Posted by jackrussellterrier
Enjoy your birthday but really you expect an upgrade as a Silver? Please....

book the class you want to travel if you want a higher cabin...
Completely forgotten to update this thread (minus the snobs, who I would care less for bragging their travel perks by their job nature/wealth):

Did score my comp upgrade HKG-CDG dep 00:05 (E-J) on my bday, this was my 2nd time - first was LAX-HKG (Y-J). Adios.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 9:39 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
-18 hours to go with my very first birthday flight with CX, all fare classes are showing 9 at the moment, however, still nothing happens under my booking. Booked a birthday cake for $300 to remind CX.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 10:25 pm

Programs: marco polo club
Originally Posted by Ausriver
-18 hours to go with my very first birthday flight with CX, all fare classes are showing 9 at the moment, however, still nothing happens under my booking. Booked a birthday cake for $300 to remind CX.
if i were you, i'd explicitly ask for the upgrade since its your birthday at the checkin counter (even if you've checked-in online).

on my last birthday, i flew from HK to JKF ...i was GO... no auto upgrade, no greeting at the counter etc. I told the check-in staff (although i already checked in online), that it was my birthday and I "really wanted" an upgrade.
She talked with her manager, and said she will try (no commitment). At the gate, (music to my ears to hear the beloved beep-beep on the scanner) my wife and I both got upgraded.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by BTfd2e93
if i were you, i'd explicitly ask for the upgrade since its your birthday at the checkin counter (even if you've checked-in online).

on my last birthday, i flew from HK to JKF ...i was GO... no auto upgrade, no greeting at the counter etc. I told the check-in staff (although i already checked in online), that it was my birthday and I "really wanted" an upgrade.
She talked with her manager, and said she will try (no commitment). At the gate, (music to my ears to hear the beloved beep-beep on the scanner) my wife and I both got upgraded.
Great to know that. I think it will make sense that CX wouldn't auto birthday upgrade too early as they will still want to sell those J seats. I will definitely ask at the counter if nothing automatically happened.

And I don't want to have my cake served in Y
Old Nov 3, 2016, 2:51 pm

Birthday upgrade happens at -3 hours

I can now confirm that my birthday upgrade happens at 3 hours before flight. At - 178 minutes, email notification from expertflyer received about seat change, check with CX and our V seats changed to row 11. The 2 seats were blocked since about -12 hours yesterday, so it seems a potential upgrade has been underway around that time.

At airport, check in agent seems no knowledge of birthday upgrade as she asked "have you been with MPC for a long time"? And she seems confused and wanted to check with someone else, I told her that CX has upgraded us.

All fare classes were 9 before the upgrade and now 7 across J cabin fares.

My wife GO is travelling with me and I'm now enjoying some bubbles at F lounge and looking forward to have my very first birthday cake in the air, I paid $300 for it and it has to be good.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
At airport, check in agent seems no knowledge of birthday upgrade as she asked "have you been with MPC for a long time"? And she seems confused and wanted to check with someone else, I told her that CX has upgraded us.
Why would you ask at the airport if you're already upgraded and have the boarding passes? I see no potential gain for you in asking, and the potential that the agent starts looking at it and calls someone else who eventually decides that the upgrade was been given in error.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 8:46 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Can I ask what's with the b'day cake?
Old Nov 4, 2016, 3:23 am

Flight was very good, got a birthday card signed with all the crew and captain, been asked twice if wanted to change seats as we sat very close to the toilet. The cake taste great, just little bit too much for 2 of us.

Got upgraded to J on our second leg as well, all fare class shows 9 after upgrade. Well done and good job CX.

I was doing a math and it actually doesn't really cost CX much to do birthday upgrade, however, it made us GO & DM happy to spend 10 hours on our most important day with CX. Loyalty doesn't really have a price.

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Why would you ask at the airport if you're already upgraded and have the boarding passes? I see no potential gain for you in asking, and the potential that the agent starts looking at it and calls someone else who eventually decides that the upgrade was been given in error.

I didn't ask the agent, she asked me.. She was quite new, asked us about visas for countries with visa on arrival, left previous pax fragile bag on the belt and we had to use next counters belt. She seems not sure what happened to the upgrade, flight load obviously not full as all fare class was 9, and she doesn't have a clue why we got upgraded so she wanted to check... and I stopped her.

Last edited by Ausriver; Nov 4, 2016 at 4:26 am
Old Jan 5, 2017, 9:37 pm

Programs: JMB Sapphire, MPC GO, SPG Gold, HH Gold, PCR Plat Elite
Was wondering if anyone got Birthday Upgrade as Green?
Old Jan 6, 2017, 12:14 am

Programs: CX DM (OWE), Accor Gold
Originally Posted by hazehkg
My friend was GR and he didnt get upgrade on his birthday..
There seems one millian GR members in MPC. Upgrade GRs will cost CX too much...
Old Jan 6, 2017, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by hazehkg
Why would CX wants to upgrade Green unless for operational reasons?
Old Jan 6, 2017, 3:29 am

Got upgraded from Y to J on the flight to BKK on my birthday
Was upgraded to PE first when I was doing the OLCI
then upgraded to J when I was at the lounge enjoying my champagne

PS
Not a CX elite but an OWE
I believe the Y cabin was really full on that day

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.