Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waitlist for award didn't auto clear

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2010, 8:07 pm

wanted to upgrade on my next overnight long haul Y flight. No availability so waitlisted. When seats did open up nothing happened so I contacted MPC and immediately got confirmed.

IT is not the strongest point of CX
Old Mar 13, 2013, 6:21 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Funny. Waitlisting seemed to work last week but it didn't this week.

Last week - I had four waitlists cleared last week - two waitlists for better flight times on fully confirmed itineraries, two connected segment waitlists on same itinerary which cleared simultaneously.

(For the former two, I called up MPO each time to confirm the better flight and have the unwanted flight removed. Is this strictly necessary? If I don't do this I see the old flight as "Confirmed" and the new flight as "Confirmed from waitlist" in checkmytrip.com)?

Of the four waitlists, I received emails for four of them and SMS for three. Maybe they sent the fourth SMS to the redemption list passenger not me.

I have further waitlists for the latter two flight and today they cleared too (was confirmed T, U available today). However they did not auto-clear - I only noticed when checking availability on Qantas's FFP website.

I called MPO immediately and was able to snag the seats. But I was a little shocked - after all the auto-clears last week why didn't this one clear on its own?
Old Mar 13, 2013, 6:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by percysmith
Funny. Waitlisting seemed to work last week but it didn't this week.

Last week - I had four waitlists cleared last week - two waitlists for better flight times on fully confirmed itineraries, two connected segment waitlists on same itinerary which cleared simultaneously.

(For the former two, I called up MPO each time to confirm the better flight and have the unwanted flight removed. Is this strictly necessary? If I don't do this I see the old flight as "Confirmed" and the new flight as "Confirmed from waitlist" in checkmytrip.com)?

Of the four waitlists, I received emails for four of them and SMS for three. Maybe they sent the fourth SMS to the redemption list passenger not me.

I have further waitlists for the latter two flight and today they cleared too (was confirmed T, U available today). However they did not auto-clear - I only noticed when checking availability on Qantas's FFP website.

I called MPO immediately and was able to snag the seats. But I was a little shocked - after all the auto-clears last week why didn't this one clear on its own?
U prob have too many bookings at once
Old Mar 13, 2013, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by correctioncx
U prob have too many bookings at once
It worked for the same itinerary last week (different segments). I had the same number of itineraries last week as this week.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 7:24 am
Suspended

It worked for the same itinerary last week (different segments). I had the same number of itineraries last week as this week.
But did u clear out duplicate sectors
Old Mar 13, 2013, 7:34 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

Originally Posted by correctioncx
But did u clear out duplicate sectors
Not before confirmation. I was holding 3 waitlists for syd-hkg, 3 for hkg-JFK (both of which automatically cleared) and 3 for hkg-syd.

The only difference between the first two (auto-cleared last week) and the last (did not auto clear today) was that I had not confirmed any flights on the first two segments but was holding a confirmed T on the last segment (waiting U on 3 flights...the itinerary will eventually be redeemed as round trip U)

The fact i was holding a confirmed T shouldn't be held against me given I had two waitlists auto clear last week, both for fully confirmed itineraries (just better flight times)
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:12 am
Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

Not before confirmation. I was holding 3 waitlists for syd-hkg, 3 for hkg-JFK (both of which automatically cleared) and 3 for hkg-syd.

The only difference between the first two (auto-cleared last week) and the last (did not auto clear today) was that I had not confirmed any flights on the first two segments but was holding a confirmed T on the last segment (waiting U on 3 flights...the itinerary will eventually be redeemed as round trip U)

The fact i was holding a confirmed T shouldn't be held against me given I had two waitlists auto clear last week, both for fully confirmed itineraries (just better flight times)
I know but sometimes when u have too many transactions in the record it causes problems. Anyway u monitor the reservation so often it shouldn't be too big of an issue
Old Mar 18, 2013, 4:06 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Not necessary but it is a good gesture if you no longer need the original FLTs (so that those waitlisted on your original FLTs can have a chance). KL (Confirmed from Waitlist) as a status code is no different from HK (Holding Confirmed), except as a note that action is needed for the PNR.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 2:29 am

Programs: CX MPC
Reviving this old thread because I've just experienced an waitlist autoclearing in real time today, which certainly wasn't the majority experience on this thread (or my own experience in the past).

Had a confirmed seat on the wrong booking, so called MPC told them to waitlist the same flight on a different booking (as agent said couldn't combine the two bookings) then drop the confirmed seat from the the first booking. Literally the second she pressed the button to drop the confirmed seat from the first booking, message came through saying second booking was now confirmed.

Has Cathay finally got its IT house in order (at least in this respect), and we don't need to worry anymore about others being able to grab seats that you've waitlisted for because the waitlists don't autoclear?
Old Apr 24, 2015, 2:44 am

For dropped seats yes - my experience also.
E.g. I may have two itineraries - my brother with confirmed seat, my nephew waitlist.
My bro tells me to grab available seats on another date.
The agent drops my brother's confirmed seat, and my nephew will immediately clear (agent subsequently drops nephew's confirmed seat).

Not the same revenue control releasing a seat that was not being held by anyone else before.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 2:54 am

Programs: CX MPC
For dropped seats yes -
Not the same revenue control releasing a seat that was not being held by anyone else before.
Interesting. Wonder why there should be a difference between dropped seats and new seats being released into the system?
Old Jun 13, 2015, 10:23 pm

The 19/6 seat my colleagues been waiting for became available today but his 10-month long waitlist didn't clear - I had to call to grab the seat http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...l#post24966618
Old Jun 14, 2015, 12:41 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
All the more frustrating when you're on the wait list, a seat comes available but you don't auto clear, and you CANT get it in time before someone else snatches it.

The wait list has failed me in this way on numerous occasions before. If it doesn't work sometimes, it becomes worse than if we didn't have it....because you don't check award inventory if on the list.

To be fair it hasn't happened in at least a year, but it's crushing when it happens and there isn't anything they can do to make it better except say "sorry!"
Old Jun 20, 2015, 8:25 pm

If anyone could shed some light, that'd be great.

I'm trying to redeem business class tickets from Shanghai to Toronto for 2016 in June. Everything is said to be full. Is it simply because it hasn't been released?

Now, if I waitlist myself, and I want to check to see if business seats are freed up, do I simply try to search a business class seat regularly?
Old Jun 20, 2015, 8:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A501 Safari/9537.53)

Ull have to check at 8am daily for the 1 day that opens up on that day. Some 360 or 365 days out. My assumption is that 2-4 seats shud open up per normal day aka non- school hbreak related days

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.