Wiki Posts
Search

CX Economy Seat Selection

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2009, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Krisflyer, Asia Miles
CX Economy Seat Selection

Okay, well I've booked and we (2 Adults & 1 Child) are quite looking forward to trying out CX. My reservation on the CX website is showing an Airbus A333 between Adelaide and Hong Kong (CX104/5), a Boeing 77A between Hong Kong and Los Angeles (CX880) and an Airbus A343 between Vanvouver and Hong Kong (CX839).

My TA has advised me that the fare type allows for seat selection to be pre-booked. Just wondering if anyone has any particular suggestions for good seats on these aircraft (front economy section vs rear, side or middle, where to avoid more side to side movement). I have looked at seatguru and seat expert but would appreciate any personal first hand views.

Exit is row is not possible as I am travelling with a child and have no status. So I was thinking of a window as I like to take in the view, but notice as there are 3 of us that the A333 and A343 are 2+4+2 layout compared to the 77A which is 3+3+3. Also other than our outbound flight from Adelaide, all the other flights will be night flights, so not much to see anyway.

If we go for the centre section on the 333 and 343 is there more chance that the vacant seat will be blocked rather than if we go for 2+1 sitting either behind or in front.

Thanks
Old Apr 1, 2009, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...........<deleted>.......

Last edited by Rejuvenated; Apr 1, 2009 at 1:11 am Reason: deleted
Old Apr 1, 2009, 7:40 am

Programs: Marco Polo Club
Originally Posted by soak01
Okay, well I've booked and we (2 Adults & 1 Child) are quite looking forward to trying out CX. My reservation on the CX website is showing an Airbus A333 between Adelaide and Hong Kong (CX104/5), a Boeing 77A between Hong Kong and Los Angeles (CX880) and an Airbus A343 between Vanvouver and Hong Kong (CX839).

My TA has advised me that the fare type allows for seat selection to be pre-booked. Just wondering if anyone has any particular suggestions for good seats on these aircraft (front economy section vs rear, side or middle, where to avoid more side to side movement). I have looked at seatguru and seat expert but would appreciate any personal first hand views.

Exit is row is not possible as I am travelling with a child and have no status. So I was thinking of a window as I like to take in the view, but notice as there are 3 of us that the A333 and A343 are 2+4+2 layout compared to the 77A which is 3+3+3. Also other than our outbound flight from Adelaide, all the other flights will be night flights, so not much to see anyway.

If we go for the centre section on the 333 and 343 is there more chance that the vacant seat will be blocked rather than if we go for 2+1 sitting either behind or in front.

Thanks
No, CX doesn't usually block out seats for you, so I suggest you not to do that. why don't you do 2+1 going across instead of going behind/in front. that way you don't have to turn your head everytime you want to talk.

also, do you have to travel on 839? 889 is another flight from yvr to hkg, and flies with a 77A, which means you'll have another flight with 3+3+3.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by b-kpf
also, do you have to travel on 839? 889 is another flight from yvr to hkg, and flies with a 77A, which means you'll have another flight with 3+3+3.
We did consider the 889, but 839 provides the shortest connection time to the onward Adelaide flight CX104.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 12:20 am
Original Poster

I just signed up to Expertflyer for the 5 day trial to give it a go and to see how the seat maps for my upcoming CX flights later this year look like.

I was thinking that as there is still some 6 months to go until I fly, and availability is showing as "9" in all classes that there would be plenty to choose from this far out but I notice that the site is showing the majority of seats in Y as 'blocked'. The same seats also seem to be blocked or available for the same flights either before or after my date of travel.

Does this mean that CX is just holding off on releasing these seats for pre-selection until nearer the date or are they restricted to being assigned until check-in.

Of course the seats I was thinking of are blocked.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 1:16 am

Programs: No longer Diamond and missing the good old days of CX
... the majority of seats in Y as 'blocked'.
That's right. Until T-48, the majority of the seats are blocked for MPO, oneworld elites and anyone in YB fare classes. The remaining seats are available to anyone in YBHKMLV fare classes. At OLCI, anything that has not been taken will be available to you (except baby bassinets).

My advice would be to get a seat assignment first until OLCI when something better opens up. Not here that once you have selected your seat in OLCI, you cannot change it (until you get to the airport) unless you are an MPO elite.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 3:35 am

Thanks
i just flew SIN-HKG-SIN and it was A330-300, there was 3 of us too, but we pick Row 45,44 2 of us sat at 45 and 1 at 44, during flight , it was very noisy and the chair is quite high , so i suggest you seat across as you dont have to keep turning your head to talk.

I will be flying SIN-HKG-YVR (CX888)in May and it will be a 777-300ER if im not wrong , which means 3-3-3 , no problem with that, but coming its the same flight that your taking CX 839 which is A343 2-4-2 and i will pick across again.

may i know when will you be flying ? thanks
Old Apr 3, 2009, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Hi sealalula, We're booked on:

CX104 (333) - 30 Nov
CX880 (77A) - 30 Nov
CX839 (34D) - 6 Jan
CX105 (333) - 7 Jan
Old Apr 3, 2009, 7:31 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF

CX104 (333) - 30 Nov
CX880 (77A) - 30 Nov
CX839 (34D) - 6 Jan
CX105 (333) - 7 Jan
Too early to get seat assignments.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 8:00 am

Smile

CX104 (333) - 30 Nov
CX880 (77A) - 30 Nov
CX839 (34D) - 6 Jan
CX105 (333) - 7 Jan
oic , but its way too early to plan your seat haha,i can tell your excited

However , i will be flying CX 888 HKG-YVR and CX 839 YVR-HKG , will share with you on CX 839 haha
Old Apr 11, 2009, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by kchika
My advice would be to get a seat assignment first until OLCI when something better opens up.
I (also Adelaide-based) have found CX quite helpful when phoning up to get seat allocations (but I have OneWorld status). If your fare class allows seat assignment, certainly phone and get whatever you can now (it will be a fair way back if non-status) then try to improve it later on (knowing that you have a reasonable fall-back).

As for suggestions, my invariable preference is forwards - my view is that the further forward you are, the less movement there is.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 2:30 pm

74A

I am flying Y SFO-HKG. I believe it is a 74A. I currently have 44A (exit row) on the outbound since it leave at 1 AM and I plan on sleeping. On the return, I have 44C since I want to be awake for most of it (i.e. lands in the afternoon).

Are these good seats? I notice they are even with the bulkhead. Do you know if there is a bassinet there and likely to be babies in that row? I have checked seatguru and seatexpert, but I am looking for first hand experience. Other than this, I could get a seat in the low 30's, but exit rows are usually better. Can anyone speak to this?

Many thanks.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by onfo
I am flying Y SFO-HKG. I believe it is a 74A. I currently have 44A (exit row) on the outbound since it leave at 1 AM and I plan on sleeping. On the return, I have 44C since I want to be awake for most of it (i.e. lands in the afternoon).

Are these good seats? I notice they are even with the bulkhead. Do you know if there is a bassinet there and likely to be babies in that row? I have checked seatguru and seatexpert, but I am looking for first hand experience. Other than this, I could get a seat in the low 30's, but exit rows are usually better. Can anyone speak to this?

Many thanks.
There is no bulkhead in front of 44A and 44C, but they are close to a bathroom.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
There is no bulkhead in front of 44A and 44C, but they are close to a bathroom.
Correct, but my understanding is that there is for the middle seats of 44(d-g)

Is this the case?

thx.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by onfo
Correct, but my understanding is that there is for the middle seats of 44(d-g)

Is this the case?

thx.
Yes, 44D-G are bulkhead and bassinet seats. Passengers with babies have priorities. I never book these seats because there is a risk I may lose them to passengers who need them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.