Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Best credit card coversion rate to Asiamiles in 2009? (For FTers based in HK)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best credit card coversion rate to Asiamiles in 2009? (For FTers based in HK)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2009, 3:08 am

Programs: MPC Gold
Personal vs. Business Cards???

Hi everybody,

Interesting discussion here.

From what i can read, you guys all have *personal* credit cards.

I own my own company and would like to have a *business* card that allows me to get Asia miles.

Currently I have an HSBC business card in HK, but the service is bad and you get only 1 AM for 15 Bonus points/HK$.

I do a lot of business travel and use my business card to pay for everything. That makes everything very simple for my accounting (no messing around with reimbursements etc.). It seems however that all the special Asia Miles cards are for personal use only???

Does anybody know how to get for example an AMEX Cathay Pacific card and have the monthly bills paid by a business account?

And finally, why are all these banks so keen on personal customers vs. business customers??? I'm pretty sure that A LOT more gets spent on business credit cards (I know I do).

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 19, 2009, 6:29 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by yellowtip
Hi everybody,

Interesting discussion here.

From what i can read, you guys all have *personal* credit cards.

I own my own company and would like to have a *business* card that allows me to get Asia miles.

Currently I have an HSBC business card in HK, but the service is bad and you get only 1 AM for 15 Bonus points/HK$.

I do a lot of business travel and use my business card to pay for everything. That makes everything very simple for my accounting (no messing around with reimbursements etc.). It seems however that all the special Asia Miles cards are for personal use only???

Does anybody know how to get for example an AMEX Cathay Pacific card and have the monthly bills paid by a business account?

And finally, why are all these banks so keen on personal customers vs. business customers??? I'm pretty sure that A LOT more gets spent on business credit cards (I know I do).

Thanks in advance!
Normally big businesses negotiate some kind of cashback with amex. That's why those employees who get issued a corporate amex card have a work policy saying that all purchases must be on the corp card and that's why the corp membership awards program only gives you minimal earning.

Maybe you can negotiate something with amex depending on your spend. Or just continue to do reimbursements.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 9:26 pm

PPS payments

Last night there was a notice saying I could now pay my rent by PPS and it went on to list which banks / credit cards allow PPS. One of them was Citibank credit card.

Is it possible to get miles at the normal spending rate on Citibank credit card if I used it to pay for my rent through PPS.

Thanks!
Old Mar 24, 2009, 3:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Originally Posted by theworld
Last night there was a notice saying I could now pay my rent by PPS and it went on to list which banks / credit cards allow PPS. One of them was Citibank credit card.

Is it possible to get miles at the normal spending rate on Citibank credit card if I used it to pay for my rent through PPS.

Thanks!
Corret me if I am wrong but as I remember on the T&C, Citibank is the one that don't offer a single point for any online payment service.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by ChrisLi
Corret me if I am wrong but as I remember on the T&C, Citibank is the one that don't offer a single point for any online payment service.
darn it, my plan is foiled. grrrrrr
Old Sep 7, 2009, 3:50 am

looking into best CC for AM conversion again

Hi

I'm trying to look into this again and am trying to check up on a few things.

I can't for the life of me find the T&C's for the Citibank credit card, has anyone got them in soft copy? If not, I'll ask Citibank to send me them, but would be great if someone does have a soft copy of them.

I'm also trying to find info on which credit cards will count bill payments, etc towards bonus point spend. I think its excluded on most (I know its excluded from SCB Amex, but can't find info for the other credit cards). I will try and dig around the T&C's I can find online, but any extra info would be great.

I'm also trying to find out info if Octopus AAVS will count towards bonus point spend. I can only find reference to the DBS Amex where you only get 1 bonus point for every HK$1 AAVS, but no reference to any other card. Again any extra info would be great.

The cards I'm looking into are I guess the most common ones that have come across the board, basically: Citibank Premier Miles, CX Amex, SCB Amex, DBS Amex. Have I missed any out? Should I include HSBC or not really worth it?
Old Sep 7, 2009, 8:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by theworld
darn it, my plan is foiled. grrrrrr
ask me in a month's time, i've just done it...
Old Sep 7, 2009, 11:15 pm

let me know what you think

Credit Card spending and Asia Miles
Old Sep 8, 2009, 12:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX GR, SPG/MR GE, Ritz Plat, Hilton S
For the annual fee waiver of AMEX CX Elite co-brand, it is also valid for basic member of AMEX Platinum credit card.

Regarding AAVS, I don't think any cc offers bonus points that leads to mileage conversion. My SCB cc allows me to have 1% cash rebate on AAVS which I am happy about. I also think that AMEX does not offer AAVS to begin with.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by theclubsq
For the annual fee waiver of AMEX CX Elite co-brand, it is also valid for basic member of AMEX Platinum credit card.

Regarding AAVS, I don't think any cc offers bonus points that leads to mileage conversion. My SCB cc allows me to have 1% cash rebate on AAVS which I am happy about. I also think that AMEX does not offer AAVS to begin with.
Thanks for the info.

Re AAVS, DBS allows it (all be it at a reduced rate) and its an Amex card.

BTW which SCB cc do you have.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 1:29 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
As far as I can see from a quick calculation on my statements, the CitiPremier Miles card does give Reward Points on Octopus AAVS at the normal rate.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 5:05 am

Programs: SQ QPP1, HYATT DIA, SPG GOLD, HH GOLD, IHG GOLD
I have been using the SCB Amex exclusively for overseas transactions and some local transactions. As for local dining transactions, DBS Platinum Visa/Master gives you an attractive 3x bonus points and I also use them a lot. The Citi PremierMiles is only used when the Amex is not accepted.

As for HSBC, I am using it for regular installments and Octopus AAVS. Might consider switching that to Citi if it's not a hassle.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 9:10 am
Original Member

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, CX DM, QF GO, AA LT GO, UA SL, LH FT, Marr LT Titanium, Shang DM, Hyatt Glob, Hilton DM
from my research (as of a few months ago), if I remember right, SCB Visa Infinite is the only card I found that gives HKD 6 = 1 mile consistently for all local spendings, including internet bill payment (which most gives HKD 12/15 = 1 mile only, or even nothing - I think Citibank?), Octopus AAVS (most cards also only give HKD 12/15 = 1 mile), and payment by instalment (all other cards would just "secretly" give you normal HKD 12/15 = 1 mile only, in some small fonts in the T&C for instalment).

but, the key downside with SCB is the conversion fee, with no cap.

(in fact, my "analysis/findings" were actually posted here in some thread as well if I remember right...)
Old Oct 2, 2009, 4:53 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by tedhl
from my research (as of a few months ago), if I remember right, SCB Visa Infinite is the only card I found that gives HKD 6 = 1 mile consistently for all local spendings, including internet bill payment (which most gives HKD 12/15 = 1 mile only, or even nothing - I think Citibank?), Octopus AAVS (most cards also only give HKD 12/15 = 1 mile), and payment by instalment (all other cards would just "secretly" give you normal HKD 12/15 = 1 mile only, in some small fonts in the T&C for instalment).

but, the key downside with SCB is the conversion fee, with no cap.

(in fact, my "analysis/findings" were actually posted here in some thread as well if I remember right...)
So is the $100 per 10,000 mile conversion worth it for the better earning rate compared to CX Amex card? What do people think?
Old Oct 2, 2009, 5:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Originally Posted by sxc
So is the $100 per 10,000 mile conversion worth it for the better earning rate compared to CX Amex card? What do people think?
I treat it as an option to "buy" the miles at super low price. I always accumulate 240K points before I convert them into miles.

So effectively I am doing 40K HKD Transaction + HKD 200 to get 20K miles

Alternatively, if you use CX Amex / DBS Amex / DBS Plat, for 40K HKD transaction you get 10K miles

so effectively you pay HKD 100 for 10K miles, which works out way cheaper than what AM charge you.

Miles are the one that you cannot buy cheap so I am OK with it ....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.