Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

I asked CX for a Status Match - Help!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2005, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ TPP, QF WP, EK Gold, CX DM, SPG Plat, Priority Club Plat

Hey Forum,

After reading MANY threads that said that CX do happily status match, I realized that relocating to HK didn't neccisarily mean the end of FF benefits for me - as a BA Emerald I still use it on CX and do get op-up'd often - but I'd rather credit my mileage to CX.. So I sent them this letter-

Hello Sir/Madam,

I have just relocated to Hong Kong, and am currently a BA Emerald, AA
Sapphire, VS Gold (toptier), United Premier Executive (star alliance
gold),
Air France Flying Blue Platinum (Skyteam Top) and BD Gold (Star alliance
gold).

I would like to start travelling very frequently on CX, and would like
to
know if you can offer me a status match to Gold or above of your Mar2 co
Polo program, of which I am a member (albeit at green tier.)

I am happy to provide any information or substanciation that you may
require
- please don't hesitate to reply and request.

Here are my most frequent routes and the Airline I fly now. Should CX
match
me to Gold or Diamond (please!) then I would be able to fly these
sectors.

HKG-LHR-HKG VS/BA J Class 12-15 times yearly
HKG-SYD-HKG QF/VS J/F Class 10-12 times yearly
HKG-ORD-HKG UA J/F Class 8-10 times yearly

and many other routes not as frequently.

Please adivse the best way of going about this.

Thanking you,

Mr Milesm88

To which they replied

Dear Mr milesm88

Thank you for your e-mail regarding your membership status.

I appreciate the value you place on achieving Elite Tier membership and
the exclusive benefits this offers. I also recognise that extending
flexibility where possible is a crucial element in our relationship with
our valued members.

According to our Club policy, members are required to progress one tier
at a time after attaining either the required number of Club miles or
Club sectors during each membership year. Our record indicates that you
have accrued no Club Credits since your membership started. You will be
upgraded to Silver Tier upon successful accumulation of 30,000 Club
miles/20 Club sectors in your current membership period of 01Sep05 to
31Aug06.

Mr milesm88, please be assured that we do try to exercise our flexibility
when dealing with the requests of our valued members. However, some
benchmarks are essential to ensure smooth operation of the programme and
to maintain fairness to all members.

We regret that we are unable to assist you on this occasion; however, we
do hope to be of service to you in the near future. As always, we very
much value your loyalty and support for Cathay Pacific.

Yours sincerely

Mr MPC
CX...

Please help me - what should I say to them!!

Thanks

Miles
Old Dec 29, 2005, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
You say you would wanted to start earning asiamiles?

Then transfer your BA Gold status to HK. Your BA Gold status will be retained, but all miles will be credited into your asiamiles account from now on.

CX Marco Polo Club will not status match just because you ask. If you start showing them that you mean business , and by that with some flights credited to your MPC account since you joined, then they might be more flexible. Basically MPC wants to see your CX bookings and that you intend to fly with CX.

They may then *fasttrack* you through SILVER status. Or even GOLD. BUt the rest of us, including myself, earned our elite tiers the HARD way. One tier at a time.

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Dec 29, 2005 at 12:23 am
Old Dec 29, 2005, 7:17 am

With many airlines prior to getting a status match you must first fly and credit a few flights to the new account before getting a status match. Of course this is a risk because you could orphan the miles if the match does not come through.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 7:39 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
I came to HK as a BA Gold and I earned my Diamond the hard way (210,000 miles, which took me about 14 months).

If you ask BA to transfer you BA Gold to your HKG address then you will get at least 12 months at continued Gold status from the date you do that. If you start putting all your OneWorld flights on to MPC soon after the start of a BA Gold membership year and then ask for the BA membership to be transferred to the HK address just before it runs out then you will be Diamond before the BA Emerald expires so you will have continuity of top tier status.

Beyond that, I'm afraid I have no suggestions except to put your money where your mouth is - I have no desire to see CX Diamond status diluted by status matching.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 11:41 am

is there any bennifit to have a cx account earning asia miles over a BA account earning asia miles?
he will be OW emerald either way
Old Dec 29, 2005, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by christep
Beyond that, I'm afraid I have no suggestions except to put your money where your mouth is - I have no desire to see CX Diamond status diluted by status matching.
Hear! Hear!
Old Dec 30, 2005, 1:10 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by azmmza
is there any bennifit to have a cx account earning asia miles over a BA account earning asia miles?
he will be OW emerald either way
Yes. If you fly CX a lot then the guaranteed seat at 24 hours notice at cheapest published economy (or full business) fare can be invaluable, as can being one notch higher on the priority for waitlists, upgrades etc. Also, if you are based in HK the access to the CX (business) lounges even when not flying CX is better than the BA Gold because (unless it has changed recently) the BA lounge has more limited opening hours.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes. If you fly CX a lot then the guaranteed seat at 24 hours notice at cheapest published economy (or full business) fare can be invaluable, as can being one notch higher on the priority for waitlists, upgrades etc. Also, if you are based in HK the access to the CX (business) lounges even when not flying CX is better than the BA Gold because (unless it has changed recently) the BA lounge has more limited opening hours.
Actually I'd like to add that the 24 hour guaranteed economy class seat is for ANY economy class fare. Even those unpublished ones, and those that earn no miles too. For Business Class fares, it works for J and C classes. GOLD MPO members have the seat guarantee only in economy class and it's 72 hours prior departure.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 6:15 am

Programs: CX Diamond, TG ROP Gold, LH Senator, *wood G
I came to HK as a BA Gold and I earned my Diamond the hard way (210,000 miles, which took me about 14 months).
the hard way??
THE HARD WAY????
Old Jan 1, 2006, 9:11 am

Programs: CX Diamond, HH Diamond, A-Club Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Shangri-la Jade, Intercon Gold Ambassador
Originally Posted by milesm88
HKG-LHR-HKG VS/BA J Class 12-15 times yearly
HKG-SYD-HKG QF/VS J/F Class 10-12 times yearly
HKG-ORD-HKG UA J/F Class 8-10 times yearly
Do you realize that is a minimum of 360,000K base miles per year! Using the bottom range of your quote and assuming you travel all in J (instead of J/F as stated) you would qualify for Diamond in less than 6 months. Using the top end of your quote you'd qualify for MPC Diamond in 2.3 months! Further, if your really did travel that much on CX and credited the miles to CX I think you'll find yourself being accelerated through the tiers.

My guess is MPC read this and, with respect, did not believe the numbers.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
I doubt it had an impact on this CX situation. But, I wonder (if you or anyone else had made this pitch to another airline) if the airline would have thought that your having top tier status on so many airlines was a bit of a negative in your pursuit of receiving the status match (i.e., the impression is that you aren't "loyal" to a specific airline and instead are just trying to collect the status).
Old Jan 1, 2006, 8:03 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, TG ROP Gold, LH Senator, *wood G
Writing is no use, you have to put as Americans say "your money where your mouth is"

My experience with VIP hotel guest is that if you make reservation on CX in the amount that milesm88 mentioned and have 3-5 tickets paid, CX will immediately send you a gold card and after a few trips the diamond card, also depending what your name card says )

I know of a case of a American-Thai company CEO who called CX, reserved and paid 6 tickets HKG-LHR and got a DM card a week later, without ever having had any status on CX before or any other airline (I was the one who suggested he join, until then he had thought club is good for economy class only to get upgrade )

CX do not like to comp, but they treat the REAL FF better than ANY other airline I know, include SQ/LH etc.

Last edited by guuzen; Jan 1, 2006 at 8:07 pm
Old Jan 3, 2006, 4:17 am

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
Looks like a totally standard reply letter. They just cut and paste the relevent bit in about how much you need to upgrade.

A chap I know (really it might have been Thai and not Cathay) just found himself chatting at the check-in to the airline rep. He was checking in with his C class ticket and had gold with EVA. Said he'd happily consider switching more of his flights to Cathay but having gold with EVA and not with Cathay was a barrier to changing. She made a phone call and a couple of weeks later a gold Cathay card turned up.

Seems to me you need the personal touch, luck in terms of access to someone who can make a difference, and a bit of credibility. He was there with his C class ticket and his story made sense. Knowing him, I doubt whether he was at all pushy.

Unless there is an absolute policy against such things, I reckon its possible.
Old Jan 15, 2006, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seems like our OP also posted a similar request over at the EK forum HERE .

And he is not a status junkie?

Old Jan 17, 2006, 12:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ TPP, QF WP, EK Gold, CX DM, SPG Plat, Priority Club Plat
Exclamation Status Junkie? I think not.

Guy Betsy,

Thanks for the compliment, implying that I am a Status Junkie implies that I have time to waste doing such stupid things. In fact - I'm not. Maybe an explination is in order to set your mind at ease.

I was originally based between London and Sydney. LHR-BA/BD/VS status explained. Then, moved for a quick stint in New York JFK-AA/UA status explained. Now, I have been relocated to Hong Kong, and will be travelling alot between HKG-DXB-LHR. HKG-DXB is obviously operated by CX whereas DXB-LHR is EK. My AF FB status is still a mystery to me- mainly KUL-AMS' and HKG-CDG's on AF. The reason I posted in the CX forum and the EK forum was asking the forum , who have a lot of knowledge of these things to help me out and make my request easier.

I work for one of the largest investment banks in the world - all my travel on all my other status' has been flown. If you would like a copy of my frequent flyer statements, PM Me.

Don't flame without knowing your facts. Simple.

MM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.