Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX Citibank Cobrand card annual fees

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2004, 10:45 am
Original Poster

CX Citibank Cobrand card annual fees

Have any of you holding the cobrand card been given an annual fee waiver. All other credit cards seem to offer this, even citibank cards but they are extremely strict with the cobrand.

Any tips for getting fee waived from those successful in doing so?
Old Mar 16, 2004, 7:21 pm

Programs: EY Plat, IHG Plat Amb
I have heard the same about this card. Many people take the platinum and it seems to be a successful brand. Maybe that is why they refuse the fee waiver.

One thing you can do is just cancel every Dec and re-apply every Jan. Seems to work. Then you use the free first year every time.

It also matters of course how much you spend every year.

Are you really based in the UK? Your name is CLK and you use a HKG credit card.
Old Mar 16, 2004, 11:08 pm

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
citibank is quite strict with their CX credit card - especially with platinum.

i don't think it really has to do with the amount spent - i spent over 2 million hk dollars over that one year - didn't earn me a free renewal - although they offered a "normal" citibank platinum with free renewal (no annual fee).

i refused. i'll be applying for it again soon - my one year is coming up. the current bonus is 8000 asia miles for a new platinum card application (it was 12000 last year)

besides, citibank only offers a HK$8 = 1 mile offer, whereas amex offers HK$4 = 1 mile ..... for the first HK$300,000 or so spent. so, it appears that amex offers a better offer.

the customer service at amex is better - citibank really sucks. more special discounts at hotel restaurants with amex too - just had dinner - 50% off - at the zeffirino ristorante at the regal hongkong hotel ...

(edited for more detailed info)

[This message has been edited by Psychiatrist (edited Mar 17, 2004).]
Old Mar 17, 2004, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Japan mostly these days. I spend far less time in Honkers these days but had many good years there.

2 million is quite a bit of spend. At around .3mil HK$ I thought it would be a breeze to get a waiver but it was not to be. I have better results with AMEX Centurian which has an annual fee of approximately HK$9,000.

CLK, the most efficient airport in Asia with Changi a close second. I see you have in brackets (suck) whats that about?

[This message has been edited by Chek Lap Kok (edited Mar 17, 2004).]
Old Mar 17, 2004, 6:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
My first (and only so far) renewal was offered at $900 (= 50% off) after I put about HK$1M through it in the first year.
Old Mar 17, 2004, 6:48 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, CX DM, QF GO, AA LT GO, UA SL, LH FT, Marr LT Titanium, Shang DM, Hyatt Glob, Hilton DM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Chek Lap Kok:
2 million is quite a bit of spend. At around .3mil HK$ I thought it would be a breeze to get a waiver but it was not to be. I have better results with AMEX Centurian which has an annual fee of approximately HK$9,000.</font>
you mean you managed to get AmEx to waive your Centurion annual fee? is it the HK or UK one? thanks.
Old Mar 17, 2004, 8:52 pm

Programs: EY Plat, IHG Plat Amb
CLK,

'S*cks'refers to Krisflyer, which is really not a FFP, but a joke. Happy to be staying in HKG now and focussing more on CX.

HKG airport is good, but no way as efficient as SIN. Two examples;
Immigration queues in HKG are a nightmare for visitors.
How efficient is HKG if you have gate 68?
Old Mar 18, 2004, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Yes I did, the first year I didn't even request for the waiver, I got a much welcomed letter advising I had been waived. Surprised but happy. The second year I asked for it because my spend was higher than the first, granted. This card was obtained while in Hong Kong and in about 6 months I will ask again.

With the CX citibank card I have had no such luck so guess which card I am spending more with?

miles4all - I didn't include the HKG immigration in my measurement of efficiency and for that matter the Singaporean immigration also. 68 gates is more to do with the size of the airport and the unmanned train system is really quite good. At least CX recognize this and set up a lounge "The Per" to address this big airport problem.

CLK is efficient because of the great transport system to and from the airport, the usage of natural light to minimise electricity, and very spacious checkin areas where even during peak times there is still ample space. You don't have to line up for restaurants which is handy when conducting last minute business and with heightened security the speed of security checks is way ahead of the rest. Singapore is a close second, I like the wood look and it's almost like you are in a hotel in some areas. Either one are great to travel through but CLK to me is more advanced (it's also newer of course).
Old Mar 18, 2004, 6:46 pm

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
I must say i HATE to BEG for an annual fee waiver - it's simply not me!

HSBC have been very good with this, they sent me a letter during my second year saying that I'll receive a lifetime annual fee waiving - on my current card (mind you, it's just a "normal" card - not gold/platinum - I didn't want to appear too flashy ...)

Citibank was very firm with their policy - apparently they blamed it on CX - and they said no waiving whatsoever regardless of the amount spent !! Although they offered me their normal platinum card, I declined - I was only after the HK$8 = 1 asia mile offer.

AMEX appears to be lenient with granting annual fee waiving - their HK$4 = 1 asia mile offer is the best in town at the moment. Although it only applies to the first HK$300,000 or so spent (afterwards it goes back to HK$12 = 1 mile) it's good enough. I hope this offer is a permanent one. I've only got their gold card - not too interested in their platinum or centurion - the annual fees for those are just too much for me!
Old Mar 18, 2004, 11:27 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Psychiatrist:
HSBC have been very good with this, they sent me a letter during my second year saying that I'll receive a lifetime annual fee waiving - on my current card (mind you, it's just a "normal" card - not gold/platinum - I didn't want to appear too flashy ...)

Citibank was very firm with their policy - apparently they blamed it on CX - and they said no waiving whatsoever regardless of the amount spent !!
</font>
I used to work for Citibank and understand that their CX co-brand card is a money-loser for them. In fact, they were talking about discontinuing it at one point.

I, too, have canceled my Citi/CX card due to the fee.

HSBC can afford to waive the fee because 1) their conversion ratio is a not-as-good HK$12 to 1 mile and 2) you have to pay a supplemental fee for the miles-conversion feature. (Citi's CX card has automatic monthly miles conversion included in the annual fee.)

I agree that overall, Citi's card is inferior in terms of customer service and card features. HSBC card offers more merchant & restaurant discounts.
Old Mar 19, 2004, 6:41 am
Suspended

When my Citibank CX Platinum card came up for renewal I did the sums, and with a 50% fee waiver it made sense to keep it. Essentially the question is "are the extra miles worth the annual fee that is charged". In my case the answer is yes. But I also have an HSBC Premier Mastercard (for free since I have enough balance with them) and obviously I use that whenever I can get the outlet discount since that is always worth more than the miles on the Citi/CX card.

For a while I was making a killing on the Citi Platinum card because they messed up the drafting of their rules, and I had a large overseas transaction every month denominated in HKD which got me 1AM/$4. But after a few months they got that fixed, so now it is worth having, but only just.
Old Mar 19, 2004, 8:04 pm

Location: Australia Cathay Marco Polo Gold, Hilton Platinum VIP, Hyatt Gold Passport, Hertz Gold, PC Platinum, AMEX Centurion
I agree that Citi CX cobrand Platinum only allow 50% off annual fee waiever.

AMEX is the best in town. ($4=1 mile) but they cahrge a conversion fee for each conversion.

DBS Platinum also have $4=1 for overseas charges + 2 months extension for the payment.

Can I know approximately how much you spend per year to get the annual fee waiver for the AMEX Centurion? Because I only get some free bonus point for my AMEX Canturion at around 300,000 points.

------------------
Cathay Marco Polo Gold, Hilton Gold VIP, Hyatt Gold Passport, Hertz Gold, PP Gold, AMEX Centurion
Old Mar 19, 2004, 8:06 pm

Location: Australia Cathay Marco Polo Gold, Hilton Platinum VIP, Hyatt Gold Passport, Hertz Gold, PC Platinum, AMEX Centurion
Can you tell me approx how much you spend on the Centurion to get the full annual fee waiver? As I only get some free bonus point on the card.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Chek Lap Kok:
Yes I did, the first year I didn't even request for the waiver, I got a much welcomed letter advising I had been waived. Surprised but happy. The second year I asked for it because my spend was higher than the first, granted. This card was obtained while in Hong Kong and in about 6 months I will ask again.

With the CX citibank card I have had no such luck so guess which card I am spending more with?

miles4all - I didn't include the HKG immigration in my measurement of efficiency and for that matter the Singaporean immigration also. 68 gates is more to do with the size of the airport and the unmanned train system is really quite good. At least CX recognize this and set up a lounge "The Per" to address this big airport problem.

CLK is efficient because of the great transport system to and from the airport, the usage of natural light to minimise electricity, and very spacious checkin areas where even during peak times there is still ample space. You don't have to line up for restaurants which is handy when conducting last minute business and with heightened security the speed of security checks is way ahead of the rest. Singapore is a close second, I like the wood look and it's almost like you are in a hotel in some areas. Either one are great to travel through but CLK to me is more advanced (it's also newer of course).
</font>
Old Mar 21, 2004, 10:32 pm
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
Most of us only took the CX/Citi Platinum card for the extra signing on bonus right ? The extras have been evaluated as worthless.

I'll go down to basic level on renewal, if I decide to keep it at all.

But even with FX rates I am still getting benefit from my Virgin Atlantic card 2 points per GBP1 at a seriously low annual fee.
Old Mar 22, 2004, 9:33 am
Suspended

Disagree. At renewal I did the sums and at HK$900 it made most sense for me to keep the Platinum for the benefit of double miles for overseas expenditure. But if you don't have much of that then I guess it wouldn't.

(1 extra mile for each US$1 of overseas expenditure. The "price" per mile goes below US$0.01 at expenditure of around US$12,000 per year.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.