Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX reports Atlantic (LHR-JFK) bid uncertain--slowed down at EU

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2004, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs

From this link:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Cathay's Atlantic Bid Faces Uncertainty
January 26, 2004
An open skies deal that would give Hong Kong's dominant carrier Cathay Pacific Airways access to the United States via London could face delays due to opposition in Europe, Cathay said on Monday.

The deal negotiated by Britain and Hong Kong in November would also give the UK's Virgin Atlantic the right to fly between Hong Kong and Sydney, and will be subject to legislation before the European Parliament.

"We hope the agreement comes through [the process] unscathed but it is under attack from some quarters," said Andrew Pyne, Cathay's general manager for international affairs, after meeting European Commission officials in Brussels recently.

"This will mean a significant delay and it could be toward the end of 2004," he added.

The deal's implementation was originally deferred until the European Commission confirmed it would not run counter to its common transport policy. But there had been hopes that the deal would be approved quickly.

"There is quite a degree of uncertainty. If it was altered we feel it would effectively kill the deal," Pyne added.

Richard Branson's Virgin Atlantic had said it hoped to start flying to Sydney via Hong Kong in the summer to hook up with its Australian low-cost carrier Virgin Blue.

British Midland Airways (bmi) and Cathay's main Asian rival Singapore Airlines, are both opposed to the deal.</font>
Old Feb 7, 2004, 8:43 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Will VS still be permitted to fly from HKG to SYD even if CX LHR-JFK got turned down?
Old Feb 7, 2004, 9:53 pm

nope, HK Gov't is trading HKG-SYD rights for ex-LHR 5th freedom rights to JFK.
Old Feb 8, 2004, 9:17 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Thanks Jakob! But Richard Branson sounded very confident that VS is going to fly to Sydney from HK... Maybe he is overconfident about it.
Old Feb 8, 2004, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jakob:
nope, HK Gov't is trading HKG-SYD rights for ex-LHR 5th freedom rights to JFK.</font>
No that isn't true. VS will fly HKG-SYD irrespective if CX gets to fly between LHR and JFK. The reason is that CX's right has been already granted between UK and USA. What ever opposition that comes is between the EU, other airlines and CX.

Old Feb 8, 2004, 6:31 pm

GB, No, that isn't true.

The "new" agreement between HK and UK (including VS to SYD) all requires an all clear from the EU before the HK & UK authorities will sign off on it.

At the moment, the new EU aviation mandate could be read to mean that if HK grants HK-SYD rights to one EU airline, they must be granted to all, so a ruling is required from Brussels on this
Old Feb 8, 2004, 6:48 pm

Location: Jakarta - SQ PPS Club, CX Diamond, Starwood Platinum, Marriott Diamond, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond, AA Platinum, Air Canada Super Elite
If oneworld fan was lurking on this board, he would be shaking his head at Guy Betsy for his lack of understanding on aviation matters.

I would back oneworld fan and agree with him that Guy Betsy is very confused on this issue.

Just my point of view.
Old Feb 8, 2004, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Seems that Oneworld Fan aka StarAlliance Fan aka xxxx Airways is alve and well and living in a world of his own.
Old Feb 8, 2004, 11:34 pm

I don't know who's got it right. For CX's sake, I hope Guy Betsy is wrong. (Nothing personal.) Otherwise, VS gets a deal at CX's expense.
Old Feb 9, 2004, 4:35 am

Location: Jakarta - SQ PPS Club, CX Diamond, Starwood Platinum, Marriott Diamond, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond, AA Platinum, Air Canada Super Elite
Let me get it straight for once and all, I am not oneworld fan nor am I StarAlliance Fan.

Before anybody drills me over my comments about oneworld fan, I was simply making a point here. If Guy Betsy cannot take a little correction for his mistake, then it shows very little of him.

As for the rest, I will answer you feedback accordingly.

If CX does not get the trans-Atlantic deal, then VS doesn't get HKG-SYD route either. A deal is a deal. If CX does get it, then the Hong Kong authorities will not allow VS the deal either. Tit for Tat!
Old Feb 9, 2004, 7:56 pm

Programs: CX, TG, SPG all back to base.
Tiger, I believe it's the rather puerile and petty manner of your comments, not the correction itself, that irks. Please grow up.
Old Feb 9, 2004, 9:40 pm

i am not here to take sides and actually did a search to find some answers. perhaps this article will clear some matters:

quoted from the hk standard:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2"> the team from the Economic Development and Labour Bureau insisted the European Commission give its blessing to the agreement before it was implemented. </font>
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2"> Hong Kong negotiations have made clear that the respective Virgin and Cathay flights and other concessions agreed in the talks are a package. As such, if the commission objects to the Cathay services between London and New York and no solution is found then the UK-Hong Kong agreement will be scrapped. </font>
here is the link: http://www.thestandard.com.hk/thesta...139&intcatid=1

best
dvdtug
Old Feb 10, 2004, 3:56 am

it seems that according to EU sources, Singapore Airlines is the real culprit, not CX. the two deals are interdependent (although not according to the agreements in preparation) I am sort of an insider with Brussels and there seems to be no concerns in terms of EU policy about CX flying across the big A.

According to this source (reported also here: http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/b...d73592?source= , albeit not the way I heard it), SIA, major shareholder in Virgin, is objecting to both Virgin stealing business from SIA on the aussie route and to CX flying across the pond. SIA wants Virgin to withdraw its route bid, thus killing the CX deal.

[This message has been edited by mhtaipei (edited Feb 10, 2004).]
Old May 13, 2005, 4:08 am
pdb

Whatever happened with this?

Any news?
Old May 13, 2005, 6:43 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Held hostage by the US in the US/EU Open Sky negotiations. It looks unlikely to have any progress in 2005 and maybe not until 2008 the way things are now. Effectively the route is dead for CX (and they've used the slots at LHR for the daytime daily service LHR-HKG).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.