FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   Those fake BOSE Noise Reduction headsets (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/187991-those-fake-bose-noise-reduction-headsets.html)

Guy Betsy Jan 12, 2003 6:53 am

Those fake BOSE Noise Reduction headsets

Upon closer inspection, I realised that the BOSE look-a-like Noise Reduction headphones CX has in their new Biz and First class side armrests are in fact, NOT noise reduction at all.

They look like the BOSE headphones but the original has a side microphone on each earpiece ( as in all noise reduction headsets) to counter aircraft noise so that it will be muffed up. (Sorry I am not technical enough to give you the details). The CX ones look like they are made in China from some cheap plastic factory, and are definitely not Noise Cancelling.

Sure they cup over your ear so that you can hear the music better but they are not noise cancelling. Worse... the way the headphones are plugged into the seat, you can't even replace those with a decent set of your own! http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frown.gif

whitters Jan 12, 2003 8:29 am

I noticed the same thing on my last flights. I can't tell you how disappointed I was - especially when somebody else in the cabin started snoring loudly. I was forced to resort to those orange 3M earplugs!

Incidentally, what is the correct way in which to deal with a snoring passenger? Ask a crew member to suffocate them?!

B Watson Jan 12, 2003 11:05 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Guy Betsy:
Worse... the way the headphones are plugged into the seat, you can't even replace those with a decent set of your own! http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frown.gif</font>
With the old built in CX headsets you could get to the plug if you were flexible enough and motivated enough - I always have been http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif Is this something very new using a different design??

bp888 Jan 12, 2003 12:40 pm

I thought those built-in headphones were Sony NR headphones. I too dislike the fact that you can't use your own headphone. B Watson, can you elaborate on how you plug in your own headphone? If CX was afraid that people steal their headsets, the least they can do is provide some way for passengers to use their own headphone without disconnecting the built-in one.

JHIN Jan 12, 2003 6:39 pm

Well maybe this is dependent on which a/c you are flying but my recent YVR-HKG including return in F had the noise cancelling headsets on the A340-300. I thought they worked excellent. It was hard at first to tell if they were working since I am used to the Bose but after a short while of wearing the CX headsets I could certainly hear the difference.

tfung Jan 12, 2003 7:04 pm

I've never seen these headphones.. only the flimsy built in ones.... which routes are using these new headphones?

miki13331 Jan 12, 2003 8:26 pm

the bose look alikes are only in the new business class. in first class, CX are still using the sony NR headphones. both headphones can be removed, but the plug has 3 holes, i'm not sure if the real bose headphones can fit in the holes

francisliang Jan 12, 2003 8:30 pm

Just flew HKG-YYZ on a 340-300 in First a couple of days ago. They have replaced the old Sony headsets with the fake bose headsets identical to the ones in Business Class.

MikeinSIN Jan 12, 2003 9:49 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by whitters:

Incidentally, what is the correct way in which to deal with a snoring passenger? Ask a crew member to suffocate them?!
</font>
Hi there..

Just reminded me of something a friend said a while back.

He was in 1K on a BA flight, and couldn't get to sleep because the person in 1A was snoring SO loudly.

When he enquired about it, he learned the passenger was Jose Carreras.

Can you IMAGINE the noise?

But it was probably in tune AND had vibrato and rubato! http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

MinS

Guy Betsy Jan 13, 2003 9:01 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by B Watson:
With the old built in CX headsets you could get to the plug if you were flexible enough and motivated enough - I always have been http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif Is this something very new using a different design??</font>
In the First Class seat, you could sort of get your hand into the headphone storage area and if you're selve enough, you could just unplug the headphone. However, the way the seats are built on the New Business Class, you cannot do this.

So what can we do? Write in and complain (again)?

B Watson Jan 13, 2003 6:44 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Guy Betsy:
In the First Class seat, you could sort of get your hand into the headphone storage area and if you're selve enough, you could just unplug the headphone. However, the way the seats are built on the New Business Class, you cannot do this.

So what can we do? Write in and complain (again)?

</font>
GOT IT - I can only speak to the F seat - and that was hard enough to unplug!

Re letters, I am not convinced that CX bothers to read them - I am still waiting for any response to my letter about the palatial SFO F closet with the only food being Frito's Corn Chips!

Guy Betsy Jan 13, 2003 6:56 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by B Watson:
GOT IT - I can only speak to the F seat - and that was hard enough to unplug!

Re letters, I am not convinced that CX bothers to read them - I am still waiting for any response to my letter about the palatial SFO F closet with the only food being Frito's Corn Chips!
</font>
CX do read the letters except that their turnarond time averages 4 months! Many times they send me letters for incidents I have no recollection of!

The SFO lounge is operated by JAL. CX unfortunately has no control over how JAL runs their lounge.

B Watson Jan 13, 2003 8:12 pm

The SFO lounge is operated by JAL. CX unfortunately has no control over how JAL runs their lounge.

</font>
Well, I really don't agree with that. CX pays for the lounge use making it at JAL customer. As a paying customer, they do have the right to assert themselves. Furthermore, if the lounge is so EMBARRASSINGLY BAD as it is, they may need to make other arrangements.

PresRDC Jan 16, 2003 10:02 am

The SFO lounge arrangement is a shame and the first class setion is a joke. The biggest shame is that there is a BA Terraces Lounge (a lounge CX often uses when it doesn't have its own lounge) in the wing of the terminal from which CX operates, but it is used by China Airlines at the time the CX flight deaprts. Hopefully in the near future, CX can give China Air the boot and use its Oneworld partner's lounge.

B Watson Jan 16, 2003 10:19 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PresRDC:
The SFO lounge arrangement is a shame and the first class setion is a joke. The biggest shame is that there is a BA Terraces Lounge (a lounge CX often uses when it doesn't have its own lounge) in the wing of the terminal from which CX operates, but it is used by China Airlines at the time the CX flight deaprts. Hopefully in the near future, CX can give China Air the boot and use its Oneworld partner's lounge.</font>
So what prevents us as Emeralds from using the BA lounge? I never do get OW lounge policies straight, but on *A you can pick and choose any lounge for which you qualify.