Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Are gate-checked strollers on CX available at connecting airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2016, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

I'll be flying ORD-(HKG)-SIN with a 5 hour connection in SIN. If I gate-check my stroller at ORD, will it be available at HKG, or do I collect it upon arrival at SIN?

The question is particularly pertinent on my inbound SIN-(HKG)-ORD trip, since the connection time in HKG will only be 65 minutes (barely above the legal MCT), and sometimes gate-checked strollers take inordinately long to appear (at least on other airlines - never done it with CX before).

So, are gate-checked strollers on CX available at the connecting airport, the destination airport, or do I have a choice? Many thanks in advance.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 12:34 pm

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
So far as I am aware, you are obliged to claim the stroller from the arrival gate, and then re-gate check it at the departing gate
Old Feb 10, 2016, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AC*SE
So far as I am aware, you are obliged to claim the stroller from the arrival gate, and then re-gate check it at the departing gate
If this is the case, I'll use the stroller on the outbound, where we have 5 hours to mill around HKG, then check the stroller on the inbound.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:56 pm

Programs: CX MPC Gold, NH Diamond, TK Gold
That is what I usually do:
During check-in, tell the GA if you wish to check through all the way to your destination or connecting airport. If you choose to collect at your connecting airport, you need to tell the GA at the outgoing flight gate and they will tag it for you and handle it. I know its a lot of stress traveling with baby but Cathay is doing pretty good in accommodating that especially in HKG.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by collegeidol
That is what I usually do:
During check-in, tell the GA if you wish to check through all the way to your destination or connecting airport. If you choose to collect at your connecting airport, you need to tell the GA at the outgoing flight gate and they will tag it for you and handle it. I know its a lot of stress traveling with baby but Cathay is doing pretty good in accommodating that especially in HKG.
Oh wow, so I get the option to check it to my final destination? That's huge.

Do you know how much stroller collection delays deplaning? As I said, we have a connection in HKG barely over the legal MCT, and so don't want to spend it all waiting for the ground crew too deliver a stroller . . . Thanks in advance . . .
Old Feb 28, 2016, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Update: On both the outbound (ORD-HKG-SIN) and inbound (SIN-HKG-ORD), I was given the option to gate check the stroller at the initial airport, and pick it up upon deplaning in HKG; or to check it as luggage at the initial airport, and retrieve it at my final destination with other checked bags.

Thanks again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.