Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX Premium Economy

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jumbojet19920711
There is actually a single lavatory on the left side behind row 46 (by the L4 exit door, and none on the right side). My opinion is that pax on the left side in PEY should use this lavatory, instead of endlessly crossing over in front of the row 30 pax, but to each their own.
That would have been my guess as well, but I assume either the cabin separation or the lack of guidance/direction from the crew lends to people trying to reach the bathroom in eyeshot of their seat. Do they use curtains between premium and regular? Sure missing the first 4 rows of the plan now (first and secluded business). At least I nabbed F on the way home.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:13 pm

Programs: pleb
There is actually a single lavatory on the left side behind row 46 (by the L4 exit door, and none on the right side). My opinion is that pax on the left side in PEY should use this lavatory, instead of endlessly crossing over in front of the row 30 pax, but to each their own.
Yes that's the lavatory in the regular Y cabin, not Y+. While people do sometimes go between Y and Y+ for the restrooms, Y+ pax should be, and are entitled to the lavatory in their own cabin if there is one. There is a curtain separating the cabins too.

Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
If you are on a 4-class 77W, you should definitely get 31A/31C. Place your hand-carry in front as a footrest extension, then it feels as good as a vintage J class seat of the 1990s. Obviously, my seatmate and I got envious stares throughout the flight from the rest of the cabin :P
This is the best thing I've read today. Love the ingenuity! ^^
Old Feb 2, 2016, 12:42 am

I agree only because CX doesn't make the space wide enough for people to cross, without keep hitting into the legs of front row pax. Also, people could be more considerate. When I could only grab a left window side seat that's where I go, to the back Y bathroom (ex-JFK), but EWR you don't have this problem, no PEY lavatory.

Flying back to JFK last time it was a nightmare, people keep hitting my legs and waking me up.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 12:52 am

Programs: CX DM, Watsons Wine Burgundy
I find the leg rests in the front row of PY extremely uncomfortable. They support the leg only down to around the calf muscle so your foot is hanging in mid air. If you flip out the "foot rest" your knees are bent, and your heel will take a lot pressure. If you're in DEFG, even worse because you add in the people crossing in front to go to the bathroom.

Although the foot rests for 2nd row and back don't support the leg, I find them much more comfortable especially once fully reclined. And, if you don't want to risk an upset passenger behind you when you recline, I say the last row is best, aisle especially. Honestly, there is still loads of space when someone reclines (compared to Y), but I guess claustrophobic people can't stand it.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by jacobsleather
I find the leg rests in the front row of PY extremely uncomfortable. They support the leg only down to around the calf muscle ....
There's an extension you can use to extend the support. Only by extension will your entire leg be supported. There's a button on the side that you have to press down, and then put pressure on the tip of the foot rest for full extension. Many people do not know this (everytime I'm boarded and sitting in the front row I had to teach my seatmates this option, some of them claimed they've sat in PEY "forever" and no one ever bothers to tell them.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
There's an extension you can use to extend the support. Only by extension will your entire leg be supported. There's a button on the side that you have to press down, and then put pressure on the tip of the foot rest for full extension. Many people do not know this (everytime I'm boarded and sitting in the front row I had to teach my seatmates this option, some of them claimed they've sat in PEY "forever" and no one ever bothers to tell them.
Nice tip. Do those extensions auto-retract the second you move your legs? I had a Thai J seat in their regional "silk" class (older angle-flat product) that had a similar feature. Either my seat was broken or they were designed to retract the second pressure was let go from them. Got a bit annoying having to re-extend every time I moved around.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 5:05 pm

Programs: CX DM, Watsons Wine Burgundy
Put me in that category too! I had no idea about this extension, thanks for the info. Will have to try next time. Still, I seem to get so many recline-complainers so may still stick to the back row. Lets see.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 7:52 pm

Programs: pleb
Originally Posted by Lostabroad
Nice tip. Do those extensions auto-retract the second you move your legs? I had a Thai J seat in their regional "silk" class (older angle-flat product) that had a similar feature. Either my seat was broken or they were designed to retract the second pressure was let go from them. Got a bit annoying having to re-extend every time I moved around.
No you have to pull them back up if you want to retract them.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 7:56 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Originally Posted by jagmeets
12h post a 15h flight! ExJNB?
LAX-HKG-JNB

Tickets are actually less expensive than BA going the "short" direction

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Feb 2, 2016, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

First of all, thanks for everyone's input on this initial question. I would have gladly taken this flight in PEY with all the positive input here. However...

I just got upgraded on Asia Miles as the lowest tier member! Flying J after all, so no one is going to be tripping over my feet.

For those interested in the process:

Booked a refundable PEY ticket last Nov. Have about 30k Asia miles from Amex transfers. Immediately went on wait list. I was originally discouraged when I saw 7 seats open up on the BA website last week but not upgrade notice, but low and behold, I got not only an email, but a text message saying I was confirmed tonight. No co-pay either. Almost too good to be true. My flight departs 2/12, for those counting the days. The only downside is that my two leg trip was only confirmed for the long leg. Still wait listed on the short leg, which is kind of a rip off in my opinion, but hey, J seat. Probably don't have enough Asia Miles now for the short leg, but I'm not complaining. I'll use my Priority Pass for the HKG lounge shower, so all is good. Thanks again.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 2:56 am

I just booked two PEY seats today for a flight in November. I'm a MPO Gold and usually when I an travelling alone I get 30A or 30K. For this trip, I was hoping to get 30A&C or 30G&K.

However, on the seat maps for both legs, 30C and 30G (the bassinet seats) were blocked out. Every other seat was empty.

Does anyone know if these seats are always blocked out by default? Is there any way to get them?

EDIT: More searching found the answer. Bassinet seats get blocked out, you can ring Cathay to get them, but then you're liable to be moved if someone else needs the bassinet position later.

Last edited by lionelhutz; Feb 9, 2016 at 5:33 pm
Old Feb 9, 2016, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Lostabroad
No, it will not retract until you press the button down again. That's why the first time you press the button you have to pressure it down with your foot, then let go of the button to locked it. When landing, simply press the button again and it will auto-retract.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by jacobsleather
Put me in that category too! I had no idea about this extension, thanks for the info. Will have to try next time. Still, I seem to get so many recline-complainers so may still stick to the back row. Lets see.
No one ever complains about reclining when I'm sitting in CX forever, PEY even at full recline there are plenty of space. But yeah, if someone behind you is an instigator, I guess...
Old Feb 9, 2016, 2:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
No one ever complains about reclining when I'm sitting in CX forever, PEY even at full recline there are plenty of space. But yeah, if someone behind you is an instigator, I guess...
I'm one of those recline complainers. It stinks when the person in front of you reclines so much that I can't even use a laptop or eat my food! If they allow that much recline, they should give you more legroom so you're not on top of the other person and they're not on top of your stuff. (But that's a bit of a pipedream.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.