Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX to Discontinue DOH from 15 Feb 2016

CX to Discontinue DOH from 15 Feb 2016

Old Oct 20, 2015, 1:55 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Disappointing to see CX lose access to QR's Africa and ME network.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 3:43 am

Programs: BA Silver
So I think I've resigned myself to the fact there's no alternative to the flight for my itinerary. I considered revising my schedule on the way back to be HKG to LHR on the CX777 then LHR to OSL but obviously there's a loss of 100 tier points in there too! + I think the QR787 is probably worth suffering on the 332 for (i use the term suffering lightly!).

I'm wondering if anyone knows how likely is it that the 332 from DOHA to HKG will at least be using the refurbished lie flat business class??? It would be pretty cr@p if it ends up being the old seats.

I'm also wondering, since i assume this to be a popular route if QR will stick a proper plane on it!

Booking my reward from HKG to PEK on a 777 so i can at least get 3 hours of CX's proper J seat
Old Oct 20, 2015, 3:46 am
formerly gemini573
Original Poster

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Originally Posted by Maxxis
What's next? Going to cut Bahrain and Riyadh as well? If they cut these two destinations then might as well fly QR or EK for business trips and kiss CX goodbye.
Well, the game isn't the same as a few years back. I think CX was able to have a variety of ME destinations in the past because they captured a lot of feed from places such as MNL.

As the ME3 were sending high density Y configured flights to MNL and 5J starting service as well, there's no need to transit through HKG.

Look at SQ, and they also have reduced their exposure to that region as well.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 4:05 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Isochronous
Disappointing to see CX lose access to QR's Africa and ME network.
could you elaborate how this impacts me as a passenger? This is most likely just naivite on my part: I don't see how anything will change for me as to how I buy my ticket and what network I have access to.

For example, when I fly to Africa I buy a QR - not CX - ticket. I'veflownthe HKG sector on CX in order to score CX's A330 bed (not the slanty thing on QR's A330s, which I've also flown and am not a fan of), but that was on a QR ticket. Our purchase decision - whether through the website or our travel agent - is made buying QR stock tickets, not CX. They're really cheap.

The only change I'm anticipating is now we cannot fly CX's Cirrus guaranteed flat bed to Doha after they cut service, and we therefore put our fate in QR in hopes (as a J class traveler) they either fly the B787, A350, B777 or upgraded A330s with real beds and not the slanty things. (in reality, we'll probably just fly EK if QR sticks with the slanty beds). To be fair, someone else raised the point that QR's 787s have a very tight economy class so YMMV.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 5:04 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
I was just thinking that the HKG-DOH-XXX routing with CX code is quite a bargain (relatively speaking) under the new MPO scheme, but I guess it will never come true.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 7:58 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Oneworld, *A; Hilton, SPG
That's too bad. I wonder if it's got anything to do with QR launching its own Adelaide and Sydney flights as well.

Any updates about the previously-very-hot rumour about QR leaving oneworld?
Old Oct 20, 2015, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I flew the DOH-HKG route recently on CX ands the flight was almost empty in J.

This is clearly the end of the JV and even of the strategic partnership (whatever CX says). Basically CX will not codeshare on any QR metal except the QR flights DOK-HKG. CX sees little bemefit in this partnership except feeding QR pax to Europe, and possibly losing many of these pax for CX own flights to Europe.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Kaiser_AU
I am booked on an AA award DOH-HKG-BNE.

I just checked my booking and my CX 640 flight DOH-HKG has been renamed to QR640 and has changed from A333 to A332 My seat bookings are also showing that it will be the older slanty bed J config 332. Super pissed

Specifically booked this award for flat beds from DOH back to Aus - now that won't be the case. Do I need to contact AA about this change as my reservation is no longer viewable on their site. I can still seee my booking on QR and CX sites respectively...
You cannot be sure that the A332 will have the old slanted seats by looking at the seat map. Most of the A332s have been retrofitted (I think that there are only a couple of slanted-seat ac left and they are unlikely to be sent to HKG).
QR used to have four rows of slanted seats in the J mini-cabin (pitch 60"), they replaced them by three rows of flat seats (pitch 75" or 78", I don't remember) and added a row after the galley. They also reduced the pitch in Y, so the number of Y seats remain the same (some ac even have one more row of Y).
While these J seats are conventional 2x2x2 per row (not private solo seats like on CX or on some of other QR ac)), they have a lot of personal space (wider at the feet and shoulders) and go horizontal.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 9:26 am

Actually very happy about this. It just wasn't worth it risking an overnight sector in a slopey seat (CX flight often sold out/much more expensive) followed by the changes in DOH. Hopefully now QR will send a 787/A350 to HKG - it seemed fairly clear the A330 was rostered on CX's insistence.

Last edited by 1010101; Oct 20, 2015 at 11:47 pm
Old Oct 20, 2015, 5:31 pm

Programs: KF, VA, QF, AA
Originally Posted by brunos
You cannot be sure that the A332 will have the old slanted seats by looking at the seat map. Most of the A332s have been retrofitted (I think that there are only a couple of slanted-seat ac left and they are unlikely to be sent to HKG).
QR used to have four rows of slanted seats in the J mini-cabin (pitch 60"), they replaced them by three rows of flat seats (pitch 75" or 78", I don't remember) and added a row after the galley. They also reduced the pitch in Y, so the number of Y seats remain the same (some ac even have one more row of Y).
While these J seats are conventional 2x2x2 per row (not private solo seats like on CX or on some of other QR ac)), they have a lot of personal space (wider at the feet and shoulders) and go horizontal.
Thanks for clarifying. Still getting my head around the QR 332 refurbishment but looks like there is only 2 or 3 non refurbished 332's left as you pointed out. The flight time hasn't changed so it still works well for me. No point stressing or speculating as we all know equipment changes will happen despite our best planning. First world problems really - lucky we get to fly at all
Old Oct 21, 2015, 8:31 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
I flew the DOH-HKG route recently on CX ands the flight was almost empty in J.

This is clearly the end of the JV and even of the strategic partnership (whatever CX says). Basically CX will not codeshare on any QR metal except the QR flights DOK-HKG. CX sees little bemefit in this partnership except feeding QR pax to Europe, and possibly losing many of these pax for CX own flights to Europe.
CX must have learnt some practical lessons from the time of the JV, probably including the ones you are mentioning.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 10:16 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Just wondering will anyone actually prefer CX 33E cirrus over refitted A332? I haven't been on the A332 but have just been on the 77L - same seat right? - and I think the end of the seat is still slightly slanting downwards (tho mine was a 18hr daytime flight so I only needed to occasionally nap on that thing).
Old Oct 21, 2015, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
QR used to have four rows of slanted seats in the J mini-cabin (pitch 60"), they replaced them by three rows of flat seats (pitch 75" or 78", I don't remember) and added a row after the galley.
One of my bookings in April that was originally on CX DOH-HKG has been switched automatically to QR, and the seatmap is showing 4 rows in the forward cabin, which means the angled seats. I am hoping this will change to 3 rows plus 1 (flat bed seats), or ideally the 787/A350 in the intervening 5 months.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 6:34 am

QR removed their codeshare flight numbers on CX640/645 between HKG and DOH. CX flight numbers still on the QR operated flights..... Strange....
Old Dec 31, 2015, 9:36 am

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by QRC3288
I am not too privy to QR's fleet renovation plans, but I really hope by early 2016 there is 0% chance of getting a dreaded A332 slanty bed to/from HKG. Anyone know?
Once CX withdraws from this route there will be no competition for QR, and so I would expect all their flights will use the slanty beds!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.