Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Do you pay for J class for leisure trips?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2015, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Club Accor Silver, AC 75K

I know many of us have companies that pay for PEY and J, but do you normally pay for J on family trips or for leisure? Just curious because flying from YYZ-HKG-YYZ, I see a lot of leisure travelers willing to fork over the very high premium for J, often times a ticket can be well over 7k USD. Not to mention, J is constantly full, rarely have I ever encountered it being empty. Not to mention most companies based in Canada like to ride on AC instead of CX.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2mm; UA 1k;
there are a lot of ways to fly J for leisure which don't invovle paying high fares...in addition to upgrades, consolidators will often book tickets at substantially below published fares--this is a form or price discrimination.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 8:40 pm

Programs: QF WP
I used to book some I/D ex-TPE tickets when Y tickets SIN-HKG were regularly over $600 SGD and there were less competition and sales. ex-TPE I tickets were only about $800 with a HKG stopover in-bound, and so I basically get a business class ticket, and add in Taiwan as a destination as well.

Haven't done that for a while though, there are much more Y sales fares, and ex-TPE fares aren't what they used to be.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 8:54 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
I did that for my daughter, but not on CX/KA. She suddenly wanted to fly to TPE last December to see a friend, but she already had her SFO-HKG-SFO ticket issued. We checked on the web, and found CX's HKG-TPE-HKG in Y is about the same fare as BR's HKG-TPE-HKG in J (BR Y is about HKD1000 cheaper). I decided to buy her BR J instead.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 8:58 pm

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
Originally Posted by Shawn02139
there are a lot of ways to fly J for leisure which don't invovle paying high fares...in addition to upgrades, consolidators will often book tickets at substantially below published fares--this is a form or price discrimination.
Positive price discrimination is here. It's real and alive. While I'm not aware if CX has implemented the systems to make necessary calculations - it's a direction most airlines and FFPs are moving into as it allows them to extract the maximum value from you on every purchase. The holy grail of big data.

I practically wrote the book on airline CRM pricing. You can read an extract with real examples of how it's used by airlines today: http://bit.ly/1Vjo4Nw

As for me personally... I'm always in J................ (54 J that is )
Old Oct 8, 2015, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

I understand there are ways to upgrade and such, but when my peeking eye sees boarding passes often times they have no status. Not to mention many of them have children, or clearly leisure travelers because they have no carry-on and just wear "juicy couture" sweats. I don't mean to discriminate but business travelers tend to have carry-ons, status, and dress decently. Unless this is a new breed of business travelers that I'm not aware of.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 9:05 pm

Why not. It's a great part of the holiday. Why stress yourself at the back of the plane when you don't have to.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 9:37 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
My mother who flies YVR-HKG rt once every few years pays for J on CX.

She just wants to be comfortable when flying.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 9:37 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Yes, we pay for J (& F) tix for all leisure travel. Using points or cash, whatever is the best option for that particular trip. Haven’t flown long-haul/medium haul Y since 2001. Not going to start now
Old Oct 8, 2015, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Depends on the fare offered.
(if they are higher, I will redeem for U class, if they are lower, I will pay for a revenue ticket.)
Old Oct 8, 2015, 10:13 pm

Lots of people that refuse to sit in long haul economy.
I usually dress pretty casual when I fly long haul. Got to be comfortable.
Don't judge the book by the cover.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Would definitely fly and pay J for leisure.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

I usually don’t pay for J, I try to upgrade or redeem if possible. I have sat in long haul Y for many years and with good seat mates I find it bearable. However since flying in J for work, its hard to go back to Y.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 1:39 am

Programs: BAEC, A3 M&B
The good thing about leisure travel is that (your other half nonwithstanding) you have more freedom over whether, where, and when. Once you feel how nice it is to arrive rested and ready after a longhaul flight, you don't really want to go back. I'll go to a place I always wanted to go to if and when there is an I fare. If I'm really keen and the bank allows, a D fare. But C or J, no thank you!
Old Oct 9, 2015, 1:50 am

Programs: OW Emerald
Always. If I can't fly J or F I'm not going. Life is too short to sit in the back of the bus and pedal. I've flown economy exactly three times in my life and that's three times too many!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.