Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Changes to MPC announced for 15 Apr 2016

Old Oct 2, 2015, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Related threads:

What are the best value segments under the new system?

Switching out of Marco Polo: What do you choose and why?

FAQs as answered by AgencyGuy:

When will the mid-tier benefits be awarded?
They will be awarded as the member hits the mid-tier milestone. Not at the end of the membership year. These will be valid for a year commencing the day they are granted. No points are deduced when members are awarded these benefits.

Does that mean a member reaching 1800 tier points will get all three mid-tier benefits?
Yes, each benefit will be made available as the member hits the 1400, 1600 and 1800 point milestones

What mid-tier benefits will be awarded as of the conversion date of 15 April 2016?
The mid-tier benefits will kick in automatically after 15th April, if your converted club points balance exceeds the mid-tier thresholds. So for a Diamond tier member, if your converted balance is 1800 points you will immediately have access to two first class lounge guest passes, four bookable upgrades and one companion Gold card.

A Gold member on his/her way to Diamond pick up four short/medium upgrades along the way, but a renewing Diamond gets nothing?
You are correct, Silver, Gold or Diamond members on their way to renewal, don’t get additional benefits until they reach the mid-tier thresholds. But they will get there, I guess the benefits are designed to recognize members who go the extra mile after they have passed their renewal thresholds.

Is there any requirement on the underlying booking sub-classes when using a mid-tier upgrade "coupon"?
Yes, the original flight needs to be booked in an “upgradable” sub-class, the same sub-classes that qualify for Asia Miles upgrades

Is economy upgraded to Premium Economy or business for flights with Premium Economy?
It is always a one class upgrade so Economy to Premium Economy, if a flight does not have Premium Economy then the upgrade is to Business.

Are the sub-classes for the upgraded bookings A, I, and E (if applicable)?
I don’t know what these subclasses are yet other than that they will be revenue instead of redemption sub-classes. I guess they will be announced later.

What miles will be awarded for a flight upgraded using a upgrade coupon? The original ticket class, or the upgraded class?
I understand that both points and miles will be credited based on the upgraded class.

Green Re-Qualification
For Green members, if their membership year ends before 15 April 2016, like now, their membership will automatically be renewed. If their membership ends after 15 April and they have ANY club points at that time, they will be automatically renewed for another year (even if they are below 100 pts). If their membership ends after 15 April and they have no club points at that time, they will lose their Green membership or have the option of paying the US$100 fee to renew.
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 29, 2015, 10:46 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
IS CX going to keep the way that status are earned? eg GR - > SL (zero down) -> GO (zero down) -> DM

Or is a straight 1200 Tier Points going to get you DM?
Reset each time like before. See below:

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
1. Yes, See FAQ:
“4. When will the Marco Polo Club changes take effect?
The Marco Polo Club changes will take effect starting 15 April 2016. Until then, you will continue to achieve tier status based on the current club miles and club sectors programme. To support your transition, on 15 April 2016, the Marco Polo Club will convert the higher balance of either your club miles or club sectors proportionately to club points. Your current membership period does not change, and lasts 12 months from the date you have enrolled, renewed, upgraded or downgraded from your current tier.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
I see that Silver members get a mid-tier benefit of two lounge passes which "can be used by yourself or your travel companion". I don't get it. Why would a Silver member want to use a lounge pass on him/herself if he/she can get lounge access as a benefit anyway?

Am I misunderstanding something here?
Originally Posted by jacobsleather
On https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...-benefits.html it only says "your travel companion"
Go to: http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_H...-benefits.html. Click "Green" or "Silver". Under "Mid-tier benefits", Click "Notes":

“Lounge Passes

For Green and Silver members, lounge passes can be used by yourself or your travel companion; for Gold members, lounge passes can be used by your travel companion or a member of your redemption group to enjoy access to any Cathay Pacific, Dragonair or eligible partner Business Class Lounges. For Diamond members, lounge passes can be used by your travel companion or a member of your redemption group to access any of our acclaimed Cathay Pacific and Dragonair First or Business Class Lounges, or any of our partner First or Business Class lounges. Available only to members and guests departing on flights marketed and operated by Cathay Pacific and/or Dragonair.”
Old Sep 29, 2015, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by jacobsleather
On https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...-benefits.html it only says "your travel companion"
Same page, but if you expand the "Notes" section under Mid-Tier Benefits, it does say "yourself or your travel companion". Guess that was a typo, then.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by ZenWorld
Looks like we can start a CX Tier Point Run Thread, and find the cheapest cost to Diamond!
I'm all for the Mod to start an official CX Tier Point Run Thread, and when he does, please move this over!

In the meantime, let me throw this out and see if it makes sense: my travel patterns allow me to qualify for Diamond based on sectors (mainly short haul) rather than on miles. For example, if MPC had converted my status to Tier Points today, I would have 850 Tier Points if based on sectors, but only about half that if based on miles.

My membership year ends on 31.Dec.2015, and I will be able to requalify as Diamond by then. If there will be any "extra" sectors, I will hold off posting them to MPC, but will apply for retroactive credit in the new membership year beginning 01.Jan.2016.

From 01.Jan - 14.Apr, I will try to get in as many shorthaul flights in as possible, usually in the lowest V class, and each flight would give me 1/80th of a sector. These would then convert over to Tier Points proportionally, and would be worth slightly more than the Tier Points that V class would offer under the new scheme (only 5/1200 or 10/1200 Tier Points for me).

For any long-haul flights (usually in Business) taken during 01.Jan - 14.Apr, I would hold off on crediting to MPC, since this would only give me 1.25/80th of a sector. After 15.Apr, I would then apply for retroactive credit and these long-haul flights would give 90/1200 or 105/1200 Tier Points....proportionately more.

Does this sound like a sound strategy? So much to consider...my head is reeling today!
Old Sep 29, 2015, 11:21 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by dek526
if it's true then that'll be my game plan...earn GO then work on AA platinum which will be easier to achieve
"Qualified members will be eligible for up to three Membership Holidays throughout their membership lifetime."

It's in the FAQ, so you can only do this trick 3 times.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 11:25 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF

Still reading through, but the Seat guarantee devaluation is massive...recall that being voted the punchiest FF benefit here on flyertalk.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 11:34 pm

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by QRC3288
The miles-converter-to-points thing agencyguy linked to is not working for me, either.
It's on now, but... As usual, don't over-expect IT of CX...

After requalify last month, I have 25,7xx miles and 9.3 sectors now.

Based on 120,000 miles => 1200 points // 80 sectors => 1200 points conversion, I should have 257 points or 140 points. So? The system shows I have 260 points....

I was expecting the system to calculate my actual points based on my previous travel pattern......

Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
I'm all for the Mod to start an official CX Tier Point Run Thread, and when he does, please move this over!

In the meantime, let me throw this out and see if it makes sense: my travel patterns allow me to qualify for Diamond based on sectors (mainly short haul) rather than on miles. For example, if MPC had converted my status to Tier Points today, I would have 850 Tier Points if based on sectors, but only about half that if based on miles.

My membership year ends on 31.Dec.2015, and I will be able to requalify as Diamond by then. If there will be any "extra" sectors, I will hold off posting them to MPC, but will apply for retroactive credit in the new membership year beginning 01.Jan.2016.

From 01.Jan - 14.Apr, I will try to get in as many shorthaul flights in as possible, usually in the lowest V class, and each flight would give me 1/80th of a sector. These would then convert over to Tier Points proportionally, and would be worth slightly more than the Tier Points that V class would offer under the new scheme (only 5/1200 or 10/1200 Tier Points for me).

For any long-haul flights (usually in Business) taken during 01.Jan - 14.Apr, I would hold off on crediting to MPC, since this would only give me 1.25/80th of a sector. After 15.Apr, I would then apply for retroactive credit and these long-haul flights would give 90/1200 or 105/1200 Tier Points....proportionately more.

Does this sound like a sound strategy? So much to consider...my head is reeling today!
I have the same question in mind as you... Just wonder if late credit works...
Old Sep 29, 2015, 11:36 pm

Programs: CX GO
Hmm help me out here...my membership period is until 30 Apr 2016 and I could achieve the current requirement (40 sectors) before that but if they change the system on 15 Apr, are they gonna convert all my current sectors based on the fare I bought for the past year? If that is the case I might be downgraded to SL.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by jagmeets
Still reading through, but the Seat guarantee devaluation is massive...recall that being voted the punchiest FF benefit here on flyertalk.
And that is the one item I value the most.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288
You bring up a good point. I indeed have a lot of miles, but flat-out F awards of 220k miles or upgrade awards b/w 50-100k+ can put a dent in the balance very quickly. Unlike others in here, I generate perhaps 2/3 of my Asia Miles balance through flying. So ~225-300k Asia Miles annually that way. Perhaps maybe not as much as you might expect. Now, the miles are so damn hard to burn so they sit there. (only after really digging into partner programs and figuring out this mileage arbitrage "game" this year did I learn how many miles - and probably CX F flights via AA - I have given up by sticking so loyally to Asia Miles).

But the future is here now. This is how I'm thinking about these upgrade certs: "even if partner redemption rates/arbitrage situation remains unchanged, I will have the equivalent of a much higher AM balance." And, this strengthens my award positioning against partner arbitrage as an MPC/AM Diamond member because one of the few things partners can't get - upgrades from a cash fare - Asia Miles members can. And it completely avoids the dumb situation CX has I describe at the bottom, where full redemption (not upgrade redemption) DM members trying to redeem Asia Miles for an F ticket are actually at a disadvantage compared to say an AA EXP trying for the same full redemption. Upgrades from cash fares are some of the most valuable things Asia Miles offers because of scarcity value against partners. CX would be wise to not change the burn rate here, or even reduce it, as a way to counter the partner arbitrage and benefit AM - without harming partner demand itself.

Upgrade awards for myself are perhaps half of what I use my current Asia Miles' balance for, so if this system works I'll be "richer" despite the miles not being in my account. 4x J-F long-haul redemption award certs to me is the equivalent of a few hundred thousand Asia Miles!

Of course, the above statement involves some assumptions:
a.) I can use these confirmed upgrades like AsiaMiles upgrades (aka, I can use waitlist)
b.) Waitlist will actually work as expected, which means I have priority over other partners for newly-released inventory. Of course many of us have anecdotes of the waitlist NOT working as expected and partner awards scoring seats that should've been allocated to AM members on the waitlist.

I would be thrilled if CX would allow for free changes, and refundable tickets, provided you re-issue an award in a higher class . This is a major, easy-to-fix issue that puts MPC on at least a level playing field with its partners in terms of awards. One of the absolutely most frustrating things is reading AA EXPs in here holding J inventory and waiting for F to open up. Then, they can change for free if F opens. This is de facto a type of waiting list, and is simply not possible for DMs, who ultimately are forced to ticket in J (which will be non-refundable) by a certain date. Which means even if F opens up, I'm stuck in J because of course I don't want to waste that ticket. Has happened to me a few times before and I have no doubt an AA member grabbed the F seat that came available later. I absolutely represent "demand" for that seat at a higher yield for CX than a partner redemption, but CX's policies towards award re-issue and refund prevent themselves from yielding up and accepting the partner redemption instead. I am certain this is just an unintended accident of complexity but hoping they'll resolve it.

Do you need to be in a particular fare class before you can upgrade with the vochure?
Old Sep 29, 2015, 11:52 pm

Something interesting about the calculator. I used AA RT from JFK-HKG Econ 1 class. And you will get 80 pts (40 each way). If you pick CX as the flight lowest Econ class only give u 20 points.

Not sure if it is a mistakes or something. It seems that one world may have a diff conversion rate? I expect new rules should devalue other ff programs. Strange
Old Sep 29, 2015, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by wenbin85
Hmm help me out here...my membership period is until 30 Apr 2016 and I could achieve the current requirement (40 sectors) before that but if they change the system on 15 Apr, are they gonna convert all my current sectors based on the fare I bought for the past year? If that is the case I might be downgraded to SL.
As far as I understand, they will convert proportionally the higher of sectors and miles (please correct me if I am wrong):
* The multiplication factor for sectors is 600/40 = 15. So if you flew 40 sectors by 15 Apr, you will have 40x15 = 600 TP. If you flew 38 sectors by 15 Apr, you will have 38x15 = 570 TP, and you have to make up the rest 30 TP to retain GO.
* The multiplication factor for miles is 600/60000 = 0.01. If you flew 50000 miles by 15 Apr, you will have 50000x.01 = 500 TP.
They will pick the higher conversion of the two.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 11:53 pm

Bad! Seat guarantee will only be for J, W, and Y only.
Sigh... No more "suddenly want to go to XXX" afterwards unless willing to pay $$$$$$$$$$...

Originally Posted by sxc
For those Diamonds who were hoping this was going to reduce lounge crowding, the opposite will occur. Previously it would take around 10-11 round-trip business class trips to London to reach Diamond (a typical Diamond trip). Now in D/I class, it will only take around 6-7 trips.

So there are going to be many more Diamonds around moving crowds from the J lounge to the F lounge.

Diamonds won't feel so special anymore.
So likely that total number of DM may exceed those of GO

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Yup I pretty much think so. So they're encouraging ex-XXX activity...
Yes... Unless stopover is not separately counted as two flights... (but based on their calculator that's not the case)
Old Sep 29, 2015, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by flyertalk2015
Something interesting about the calculator. I used AA RT from JFK-HKG Econ 1 class. And you will get 80 pts (40 each way). If you pick CX as the flight lowest Econ class only give u 20 points.

Not sure if it is a mistakes or something. It seems that one world may have a diff conversion rate? I expect new rules should devalue other ff programs. Strange
No time to check out every bit of details yet... But as at this moment you are right... It would be crazy if CX not to split / adjust AA econ class split (and actually very quickly scanned through the list, some other carriers also have this "special privilege" )
Old Sep 30, 2015, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Reset each time like before.
Are you saying a member who enrolls new needs a defactor 2,200 points to achieve Diamond?

100+300+600+1200 ??

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.