Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Changes to MPC announced for 15 Apr 2016

Old Oct 2, 2015, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Related threads:

What are the best value segments under the new system?

Switching out of Marco Polo: What do you choose and why?

FAQs as answered by AgencyGuy:

When will the mid-tier benefits be awarded?
They will be awarded as the member hits the mid-tier milestone. Not at the end of the membership year. These will be valid for a year commencing the day they are granted. No points are deduced when members are awarded these benefits.

Does that mean a member reaching 1800 tier points will get all three mid-tier benefits?
Yes, each benefit will be made available as the member hits the 1400, 1600 and 1800 point milestones

What mid-tier benefits will be awarded as of the conversion date of 15 April 2016?
The mid-tier benefits will kick in automatically after 15th April, if your converted club points balance exceeds the mid-tier thresholds. So for a Diamond tier member, if your converted balance is 1800 points you will immediately have access to two first class lounge guest passes, four bookable upgrades and one companion Gold card.

A Gold member on his/her way to Diamond pick up four short/medium upgrades along the way, but a renewing Diamond gets nothing?
You are correct, Silver, Gold or Diamond members on their way to renewal, dont get additional benefits until they reach the mid-tier thresholds. But they will get there, I guess the benefits are designed to recognize members who go the extra mile after they have passed their renewal thresholds.

Is there any requirement on the underlying booking sub-classes when using a mid-tier upgrade "coupon"?
Yes, the original flight needs to be booked in an upgradable sub-class, the same sub-classes that qualify for Asia Miles upgrades

Is economy upgraded to Premium Economy or business for flights with Premium Economy?
It is always a one class upgrade so Economy to Premium Economy, if a flight does not have Premium Economy then the upgrade is to Business.

Are the sub-classes for the upgraded bookings A, I, and E (if applicable)?
I dont know what these subclasses are yet other than that they will be revenue instead of redemption sub-classes. I guess they will be announced later.

What miles will be awarded for a flight upgraded using a upgrade coupon? The original ticket class, or the upgraded class?
I understand that both points and miles will be credited based on the upgraded class.

Green Re-Qualification
For Green members, if their membership year ends before 15 April 2016, like now, their membership will automatically be renewed. If their membership ends after 15 April and they have ANY club points at that time, they will be automatically renewed for another year (even if they are below 100 pts). If their membership ends after 15 April and they have no club points at that time, they will lose their Green membership or have the option of paying the US$100 fee to renew.
Print Wikipost

Changes to MPC announced for 15 Apr 2016

Old Jan 14, 2016, 2:07 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by alphaod
This new membership program earn rate is just terrible for us NA based folks who fly premium classes since I need 10 F fares to get DM?! Or I can take AA transcon with one-stop in F (which is like the price of HKG-PVG in J) and get 130 TPs.... why would I continue flying CX?! This makes no sense.
Not sure how you calculated this but for F, you would need 5 return trips from USA to HKG to reach diamond. This is a slight reduction from 6 return trips under the old system.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 1:57 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by sxc
Not sure how you calculated this but for F, you would need 5 return trips from USA to HKG to reach diamond. This is a slight reduction from 6 return trips under the old system.
Wait so that 120 TPs is OW and not RT? If so I guess I do have a chance then...'

But still flying AA transcon would get me points than flying CX transpac which still wouldn't make sense, but I guess mine win their loss.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 3:05 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Wait so that 120 TPs is OW and not RT? If so I guess I do have a chance then...'

But still flying AA transcon would get me points than flying CX transpac which still wouldn't make sense, but I guess mine win their loss.
HKG-SFO: 125 TPs and HKG-JFK: 140 TPs are both OWs.

I cannot see that AA transcon can get more points than CX transpac. Can you give an example?
Old Jan 14, 2016, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
HKG-SFO: 125 TPs and HKG-JFK: 140 TPs are both OWs.

I cannot see that AA transcon can get more points than CX transpac. Can you give an example?
You're right. I've been doing it all wrong. Can't fool MPC huh....
Old Jan 16, 2016, 1:53 am

Programs: CX DM
What is the mid tier benefit of book able upgrade mean ? Same as upgrade using miles ? Long or short haul ? Y to PEY ? PEY to J ? J to F same coupon ?
Old Jan 18, 2016, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by amgsl55
What is the mid tier benefit of book able upgrade mean ? Same as upgrade using miles ? Long or short haul ? Y to PEY ? PEY to J ? J to F same coupon ?
If you are asking about the 4 upgrades certs for GO at mid-tier, it's only short to mid-haul routes (not even mid-long). Once class upgrade. So in a way, pretty much crumbs off the table.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 1:31 pm

Hey all, I know this is kind of off-topic and was probably mentioned before, but I can't find the answer.

I know travelers have received free marco-polo membership (green tier) from CX. What are the requirements for free membership? ______ miles??

And has the free membership changed under this new policy??

Thanks!!
Old Jan 19, 2016, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A handful of shiny cards
Someone with more recent experience may be able to confirm if this still works, but if you're flying business or first and ask for an MPC membership form the US$50 fee is waived.

Not sure of any other sure methods.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 4:34 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Samuel72991
Hey all, I know this is kind of off-topic and was probably mentioned before, but I can't find the answer.

I know travelers have received free marco-polo membership (green tier) from CX. What are the requirements for free membership? ______ miles??
Come on....we have an "ask anything" thread precisely for this purpose. Don't go hijack a useful thread with a completely off topic query!

It has indeed been mentioned multiple, multiple times before. Search for "status match", " complimentary green membership", etc. or start a new thread. Anything but a hijack.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 5:00 pm

I'm wondering, what will happen to DP? Will it be tier points attainable now or will it still be spend based? Anyone have info on this?
Old Feb 13, 2016, 4:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA & SPG Plat
I'm wondering, what will happen to DP? Will it be tier points attainable now or will it still be spend based? Anyone have info on this?
Pretty sure they will still look at your revenue spent.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 10:05 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by Daffie
Pretty sure they will still look at your revenue spent.
I think so too. DP is based on revenue.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 8:58 pm

Programs: CX Gold, Marriott Gold,
Hi All,

Quick question. Not sure if it was already addressed in the 38 pages before, but figured it would be easier to ask.

I need to do a HKG-LHR in Biz Class (i think we normally book D or I class) trip in May and was evaluating if flying CX or QR would be more beneficial for TP under the new MPC structure.

If I did the calculations correctly, it seems like flying CX would only give me 180 TPs, while flying QR via Doha would give me 210 TPs, as I think they calculate it by the segment. Am I doing this correctly or am I completely off? Any advice or clarity would be greatly appreciated!
Old Feb 20, 2016, 9:21 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Yes the points are calculated by segment. Although I haven't calculated your specific route myself, your reasoning sounds correct.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 2:39 am

Programs: MPC, Marriott, Hyatt
Is the "by-segment" count for flights where you don't have to deplane (i.e. JFK-YVR-HKG) or is it only when you have some sort of "real" layover?

It seems that, under the new system, a short (YVR-JFK) + a long (HKG-YVR) is always going to add up to more than a ultra-long (HKG-JFK). Other than the HKG-YVR-JFK flight, are there any other such flights? (I couldn't think of any other flights that don't hub through HKG?)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.