Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Changes to MPC announced for 15 Apr 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 2, 2015, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Related threads:

What are the best value segments under the new system?

Switching out of Marco Polo: What do you choose and why?

FAQs as answered by AgencyGuy:

When will the mid-tier benefits be awarded?
They will be awarded as the member hits the mid-tier milestone. Not at the end of the membership year. These will be valid for a year commencing the day they are granted. No points are deduced when members are awarded these benefits.

Does that mean a member reaching 1800 tier points will get all three mid-tier benefits?
Yes, each benefit will be made available as the member hits the 1400, 1600 and 1800 point milestones

What mid-tier benefits will be awarded as of the conversion date of 15 April 2016?
The mid-tier benefits will kick in automatically after 15th April, if your converted club points balance exceeds the mid-tier thresholds. So for a Diamond tier member, if your converted balance is 1800 points you will immediately have access to two first class lounge guest passes, four bookable upgrades and one companion Gold card.

A Gold member on his/her way to Diamond pick up four short/medium upgrades along the way, but a renewing Diamond gets nothing?
You are correct, Silver, Gold or Diamond members on their way to renewal, don’t get additional benefits until they reach the mid-tier thresholds. But they will get there, I guess the benefits are designed to recognize members who go the extra mile after they have passed their renewal thresholds.

Is there any requirement on the underlying booking sub-classes when using a mid-tier upgrade "coupon"?
Yes, the original flight needs to be booked in an “upgradable” sub-class, the same sub-classes that qualify for Asia Miles upgrades

Is economy upgraded to Premium Economy or business for flights with Premium Economy?
It is always a one class upgrade so Economy to Premium Economy, if a flight does not have Premium Economy then the upgrade is to Business.

Are the sub-classes for the upgraded bookings A, I, and E (if applicable)?
I don’t know what these subclasses are yet other than that they will be revenue instead of redemption sub-classes. I guess they will be announced later.

What miles will be awarded for a flight upgraded using a upgrade coupon? The original ticket class, or the upgraded class?
I understand that both points and miles will be credited based on the upgraded class.

Green Re-Qualification
For Green members, if their membership year ends before 15 April 2016, like now, their membership will automatically be renewed. If their membership ends after 15 April and they have ANY club points at that time, they will be automatically renewed for another year (even if they are below 100 pts). If their membership ends after 15 April and they have no club points at that time, they will lose their Green membership or have the option of paying the US$100 fee to renew.
Print Wikipost

Changes to MPC announced for 15 Apr 2016

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2015, 9:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA & SPG Plat
I'm not sure if I understand the Membership Holiday benefit.

Say I achieve GO on June 30, 2016.
My membership and GO benefits run from July 1, 2016 - June 30, 2017.

I anticipate my next flight isn't until October 15, 2016.
So I notify them on July 1 that I want to take a 3.5 month "holiday" until October 14, 2016.

My GO membership year will now be Oct 15, 2016 - October 14, 2017?
Old Sep 29, 2015, 9:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA & SPG Plat
Or another example.

June 30, 2016 - Achieve GO
July 1, 2016 - Tell them I want to take a "holiday"
Spend the next few months crediting to other OW programs.
Feb 1, 2017 - off from 'holiday'
Credit flights to CX / enjoy MPO benefits.........until Jan 31, 2018?
Old Sep 29, 2015, 9:43 pm

Programs: CX GO (in hibernation mode), AA EXP, SPG GO, HH DM
Originally Posted by Daffie
Or another example.

June 30, 2016 - Achieve GO
July 1, 2016 - Tell them I want to take a "holiday"
Feb 1, 2017 - off from 'holiday'
Credit flights to CX / enjoy MPO benefits.........until Jan 31, 2018?
if it's true then that'll be my game plan...earn GO then work on AA platinum which will be easier to achieve
Old Sep 29, 2015, 9:55 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Rivarix
So changes are only on the MPC earning side and nothing on the redemption side. Can we assume this means redemption access by partner airlines stay the same as well? If so it is great news indeed because it means I made the right hedging call.

Yes but without changes to redemption rules by partner airlines, how is it going to help you? It's not like you were short on miles to begin with, no?
You bring up a good point. I indeed have a lot of miles, but flat-out F awards of 220k miles or upgrade awards b/w 50-100k+ can put a dent in the balance very quickly. Unlike others in here, I generate perhaps 2/3 of my Asia Miles balance through flying. So ~225-300k Asia Miles annually that way. Perhaps maybe not as much as you might expect. Now, the miles are so damn hard to burn so they sit there. (only after really digging into partner programs and figuring out this mileage arbitrage "game" this year did I learn how many miles - and probably CX F flights via AA - I have given up by sticking so loyally to Asia Miles).

But the future is here now. This is how I'm thinking about these upgrade certs: "even if partner redemption rates/arbitrage situation remains unchanged, I will have the equivalent of a much higher AM balance." And, this strengthens my award positioning against partner arbitrage as an MPC/AM Diamond member because one of the few things partners can't get - upgrades from a cash fare - Asia Miles members can. And it completely avoids the dumb situation CX has I describe at the bottom, where full redemption (not upgrade redemption) DM members trying to redeem Asia Miles for an F ticket are actually at a disadvantage compared to say an AA EXP trying for the same full redemption. Upgrades from cash fares are some of the most valuable things Asia Miles offers because of scarcity value against partners. CX would be wise to not change the burn rate here, or even reduce it, as a way to counter the partner arbitrage and benefit AM - without harming partner demand itself.

Upgrade awards for myself are perhaps half of what I use my current Asia Miles' balance for, so if this system works I'll be "richer" despite the miles not being in my account. 4x J-F long-haul redemption award certs to me is the equivalent of a few hundred thousand Asia Miles!

Of course, the above statement involves some assumptions:
a.) I can use these confirmed upgrades like AsiaMiles upgrades (aka, I can use waitlist)
b.) Waitlist will actually work as expected, which means I have priority over other partners for newly-released inventory. Of course many of us have anecdotes of the waitlist NOT working as expected and partner awards scoring seats that should've been allocated to AM members on the waitlist.

I would be thrilled if CX would allow for free changes, and refundable tickets, provided you re-issue an award in a higher class . This is a major, easy-to-fix issue that puts MPC on at least a level playing field with its partners in terms of awards. One of the absolutely most frustrating things is reading AA EXPs in here holding J inventory and waiting for F to open up. Then, they can change for free if F opens. This is de facto a type of waiting list, and is simply not possible for DMs, who ultimately are forced to ticket in J (which will be non-refundable) by a certain date. Which means even if F opens up, I'm stuck in J because of course I don't want to waste that ticket. Has happened to me a few times before and I have no doubt an AA member grabbed the F seat that came available later. I absolutely represent "demand" for that seat at a higher yield for CX than a partner redemption, but CX's policies towards award re-issue and refund prevent themselves from yielding up and accepting the partner redemption instead. I am certain this is just an unintended accident of complexity but hoping they'll resolve it.

Last edited by QRC3288; Sep 29, 2015 at 10:02 pm
Old Sep 29, 2015, 9:56 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by Daffie
?
Looks OK. So long as this footnote doesn't matter to you
Members will not be able to enjoy Marco Polo Club benefits and earn club points during the Membership Holiday.
So no Lounge access while crediting to other programs (unless flying J/F of course)
Old Sep 29, 2015, 10:12 pm

Programs: Marriott & SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, ex-Fairmont Plat, ex-Swissotel Eleva
CX Tier Point Run thread?

Looks like we can start a CX Tier Point Run Thread, and find the cheapest cost to Diamond!

That said, there is still no lifetime status on CX unlike BA Gold.

BA Silver still looks easier to achieve than CX Gold, but I think BA Gold and CX Diamond is nearly on par.

Still, I hope CX has lifetime status, if not at Diamond level, at least at Gold.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 10:13 pm

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
Originally Posted by dek526
if it's true then that'll be my game plan...earn GO then work on AA platinum which will be easier to achieve
Originally Posted by moa999
So no Lounge access while crediting to other programs (unless flying J/F of course)
True ... unless one already have OWE or OWS with that other program.

My AA EXP last until Feb 2017 so I can freeze my CX DM status and work to extend my AA EXP (until Feb 2018). Depending on how the upcoming/eventual changes on AA programme, I can go back to MPC and start with where I left off.

This membership 'holiday' benefit really really piqued my interest.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
Bad! Seat guarantee will only be for J, W, and Y only.
..DM Members will also be able to book a guaranteed seat in Business, Premium Economy, or Economy Class with at least 24 hours’ notice on reservations booked with a J, W, or Y fare class ticket.
Gold members will get guaranteed seat in Y booking class only...

Old Sep 29, 2015, 10:20 pm

Programs: CX GO, BA Gold, OZ*G, IHG Spire RA
Overall this looks positive for me. At least there are some incentives to go past 120k.

Seems silly that theI kept lounge access for SL but cut it for DM on non-OW flights. Agree with others that this will not solve the lounge overcrowding at all. There has to be way more SL's on CX/KA flight flights that DM's on Non-OW flights.

Also lame that GR keeps priority boarding.

I'm currently at 145K with my tier re-starting end Jan 2016. Seems like I should try to get an early reset now. Figure I would earn around 700pts by the end of Jan 2016. Any thoughts/comments here? Seems like an easy decision but would appreciate any input.

Last edited by DieselYVR; Sep 29, 2015 at 10:45 pm
Old Sep 29, 2015, 10:33 pm

Programs: CX DM, Watsons Wine Burgundy
Originally Posted by DieselYVR
I see now that MPO entry fee is US$100. Has this just increased or has it been this high for a while? Greens also need to earn 100 club points within 12 months or pay $100 again to remain green. Perhaps thats the incentive for giving greens something? Perhaps, many people fly only a few times per year thus remain green for more than 12 months and Cathay enjoys getting their $100?

Last edited by jacobsleather; Sep 29, 2015 at 10:39 pm
Old Sep 29, 2015, 10:36 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Overall this looks positive for me. At least there are some incentives to go past 120k.
That is fair.

Seems silly that theI kept lounge access for SL but cut it for DM on non-OW flights. Agree with others that this will not solve the lounge overcrowding at all. There has to be way more SL's on CX/KA flight flights that DM's on Non-OW flights.
DMs who requalify will likely be flying J long haul and regional on CX or any other airlines anyway and will have lounge access. The difference will be for Y short haul flights on non-OW flights, but they will likely have other form of lounge access anyway, e.g., Priority Pass.

Now GRs have to fly to earn it or pay for it every year.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
IS CX going to keep the way that status are earned? eg GR - > SL (zero down) -> GO (zero down) -> DM

Or is a straight 1200 Tier Points going to get you DM?
Old Sep 29, 2015, 10:40 pm

I see that Silver members get a mid-tier benefit of two lounge passes which "can be used by yourself or your travel companion". I don't get it. Why would a Silver member want to use a lounge pass on him/herself if he/she can get lounge access as a benefit anyway?

Am I misunderstanding something here?
Old Sep 29, 2015, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
IS CX going to keep the way that status are earned? eg GR - > SL (zero down) -> GO (zero down) -> DM

Or is a straight 1200 Tier Points going to get you DM?
Good question! I'd like to know too.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 10:46 pm

Programs: CX DM, Watsons Wine Burgundy
Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
I see that Silver members get a mid-tier benefit of two lounge passes which "can be used by yourself or your travel companion".?
On https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...-benefits.html it only says "your travel companion"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.