Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific canvassing opinion on new Amenity Kits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2015, 9:52 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob

After the "controversial" introduction of the current amenity kits, Cathay is now canvassing opinion about some new options.

http://www.ausbt.com.au/cathay-pacif...s-amenity-kits

Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:04 pm

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
So CX finally decides to get rid off those rice sacks.

I hope CX doesn't go with design P ... it looks like high class Y+ bag (though probably cheapest to produce of all the choices above).

Design R and S are ok.

Anyone knows the timing? Article didn't mention it.

Last edited by Rivarix; Aug 26, 2015 at 10:10 pm
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:12 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I actually liked the look and quality of the material of the existing kit. However, practically it is useless.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:22 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Diamond, Flying Blue Platinum for Life, GHA Black, IHG Platinum
The key point for me is that they must be easily useable for keeping my smartphone cables, earpieces etc., so R and S both seem OK from what I see. Anything is better than the current style anyway.

Last edited by DernierVirage; Aug 26, 2015 at 10:23 pm Reason: Typing mistake
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:23 pm

Programs: QF WP
Design R looks very similar to one I have at home... from Jetstar a few years ago.

I'm not sure why they even bother. Simply go to a brand name designer, and ask them to make something worthy of their brand name. Problem solved.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:31 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Which self-respecting little three will want to be seen with "merely" a CX-branded amenity kit http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...l#post25263999
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:32 pm

Programs: CX GO, TSA Pre✓ Afflictions: TSASS
Originally Posted by Awesom Andy
I'm not sure why they even bother. Simply go to a brand name designer, and ask them to make something worthy of their brand name. Problem solved.
Obviously the only sensible way to do it. But I think we all know they won't do that.

I wish they had a hard sided case like the Lufthansa Rimowa FC kits.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 4:50 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Rivarix
So CX finally decides to get rid off those rice sacks.

I hope CX doesn't go with design P ... it looks like high class Y+ bag (though probably cheapest to produce of all the choices above).

Design R and S are ok.

Anyone knows the timing? Article didn't mention it.
Ahh, am I in the minority? I love the new amenity kits. Indeed they look a little lame, but I really don't care much - these are the most practical I've found to actually carry a toothbrush and toothpaste around, plus they're malleable so I can really cram them in my backpack or briefcase even if I've got a lot of stuff.

And in general, I think the old amenity kits looked really tacky...I just think fliers are used to a rectangular shaped, cheesy, semi-plastic look. But for those who think the "old" ones ever looked good, I think that's crazy! Occasionally we've had decent-looking ones in F (the female version back in 2009-2010 with the flowers, beads and sequins or whatever on were particularly cool), but I can't recall ever being impressed by the J ones. I had a look into a pantry at home the other evening, and saw an old puke-colored green rectangular J class amenity kit...can't say it was looking too attractive!

My thoughts...this is business class. It's not supposed to be fancy so much as practical. I thought these new ones were the most practical of the lot!

A few months ago I literally collected 10 of them, got a few more in July and August so far, and they are the most practical by a wide margin for me.

Alas, it seems I'm very much in the minority here!

Originally Posted by sxc
I actually liked the look and quality of the material of the existing kit. However, practically it is useless.
Interesting. I use the kit as my toothbruth and tooth paste for business trips. So on the outbound flight the one I get I will use for the entire trip. On the return flight, I keep that one unused and bring it home and give them to guests who stay over as amenity travel bags. I often hop around hotels on biz trips, and I like having the same consistency of tooth paste, and not forever wasting hotel dental kits. Sometimes I'll lob a dental floss in there I get at a hotel. So I drag along this bag and I've found it the best by far! I love how I can cram it in my briefcase, backpack or suitcase.

Originally Posted by DernierVirage
The key point for me is that they must be easily useable for keeping my smartphone cables, earpieces etc., so R and S both seem OK from what I see. Anything is better than the current style anyway.
That's interesting, I never considered this before. I guess everyone uses them differently. I have a separate plastic bag I religiously keep my smartphone cables, and the rest I keep in my headphone case.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 5:42 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A501 Safari/9537.53)

I personally dislike stuff that may fall off like external pockets or bags without zipper...
So it limits the choices
Old Aug 27, 2015, 6:10 am

I am all for ditching the current F amenity kits and replacing them with Rimowa ones. Just dreaming....
Old Aug 27, 2015, 6:26 am

Need a zipper bag so I can re-use it. Wish they can come up with more innovative stuff like the Rimowa suitcase bag another airline is giving.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 7:53 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A501 Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by hkskyline
Need a zipper bag so I can re-use it. Wish they can come up with more innovative stuff like the Rimowa suitcase bag another airline is giving.
Zippers ya. Rimowa not nec
Old Aug 27, 2015, 8:29 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
I think with a better color combination design P with the magnetic flip would be great

Q is also good

R and S... Not appealing though maybe practical...
Old Aug 27, 2015, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I like R with a color scheme like that of S.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 10:26 am
Suspended

Programs: CX DM, SQ TPP, QF GO LIFE, OZ*G LIFE, Marriott TIT LIFE, WOH GLOBALIST LIFE, HH DM, BA GO LIFE
I can see the Mainland Chinese selecting the Design R and S as their preferred choice as these guys love big bag to stash those hard cold cash. Oops, did anyone say they don't have anymore money after the China stock market crash? Perhaps Desgin Q for them now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.