Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific canvassing opinion on new Amenity Kits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific canvassing opinion on new Amenity Kits

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2015, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by Shareholder
The Reimowas most useless kit offered. Over praised and over valued, particularly on eBay. As for inviting renowned designers to design one, the second most useless kit came from Ermenegildo Zegna for CX's previous F offering. The material its made of is crap and the outside zippered pocket is useless. The options provided above would certainly be an improvement.
Some of the regular kits were cheaply made, like particular one of my CX agnes b bag (the light blue bag with a heart in the middle) got sliced through the front just by the cap of a pen, and that's what Rimowa kit come in handy with hard plastic shell to store valuable or fragile items
Old Aug 29, 2015, 10:43 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Shareholder
There are many service agencies/shelters that care for the homeless and battered women who welcome these kits you toss out so casually. While the contents may not be of much use, the cases themselves can be used for many purposes by their lodgers. Surely there are a few of these agencies in Hong Kong that would be happy to take your cast offs.
That's a good point. I might actually have 50 of these sitting at home! I'll see if I can donate them. I certainly don't have 50 house guests coming before my next longhaul sequence in a few weeks.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 10:47 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
That's not good if you toss it at the end of each trip, that just prove to be low reusability. You can't reuse anymore or perhaps leave some of them behind ? (better yet give it to me, I collect amenity kits, will collect anything basically especially they have many colors )

I hope the bag is biodegradable, if not it creates lot of waste.
Very fair....it definitely encourages me to waste more. Whereas in the past I would save the bag I used on the trip (say I got 2 amenity kits, I'd use the outbound one and not open the inbound one, but I would bring both home to save), with this new kit I ditch the used bag on my final plane ride, and only take home the unopened kit.

So I'm definitely wasting more. I'm tossing one kit per trip, versus saving all kits - even partially used ones - before.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Ahh, am I in the minority? I love the new amenity kits.
Aside from a few disappointing colours, I definitely think the new kit are great!

I wonder if those wanting a hard case would still have such a hard on if the Rimowa brand isn't attached to it. No pun intended....
Old Sep 1, 2015, 8:33 am

Programs: Marco Polo Diamond, Flying Blue Platinum for Life, GHA Black, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by QRC3288
That's a good point. I might actually have 50 of these sitting at home! I'll see if I can donate them. I certainly don't have 50 house guests coming before my next longhaul sequence in a few weeks.
I have a lot of the AgnesB bags at home and I sill also see if I can do something useful with them too.

I always wonder what happens to the bags left on board that have been partly used (I never take the new style bags with me, but I usually use/keep the toothpaste and take away the cloth for phone screens, for example). Are they thrown away or does someone collect all the contents together to be used to refill new bags?
Old Sep 1, 2015, 5:00 pm

Programs: Free agent, UA 1K, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Carrie So
Aside from a few disappointing colours, I definitely think the new kit are great!

I wonder if those wanting a hard case would still have such a hard on if the Rimowa brand isn't attached to it. No pun intended....
Just got a NH Rimowa kit (thanks ainternational!) and it's super useful because it's hard sided. I'll likely be putting glasses, and other fragile things in it.

I haven't seen the new DL Tumi hardcase but people seem to like it for the exact same reason, so I think this is one thing that transcends brand.

I haven't seen the CX J amenity kit in person yet (flying next month), but just from the appearance it looks like a total fail, similar style to the CI Y+ kit. How it got released in the first place was a huge surprise and now seeing this thread, it looks like it was a mistake indeed.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 7:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DernierVirage
I have a lot of the AgnesB bags at home and I sill also see if I can do something useful with them too.

I always wonder what happens to the bags left on board that have been partly used (I never take the new style bags with me, but I usually use/keep the toothpaste and take away the cloth for phone screens, for example). Are they thrown away or does someone collect all the contents together to be used to refill new bags?
i think i read somewhere they would be donated...
Old Sep 1, 2015, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by kaka
i think i read somewhere they would be donated...
Would that been the PJ's you were reading about?
Old Sep 2, 2015, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by Carrie So

Rimowa isn't the first to make a hard case amenity kit, there are multiple hard case styles out there.

TG, TK, and MH are currently using a hard case amenity kit by Porshe Design, NH had switched from Rimowa to Samsonite hard case this year, one of the new DL Tumi kit is a hard case too, KL had used a hard case kit in the past as well, people seem to like it as much.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 1:28 am

What if they give you a hard case.. TK Y / United style.... a pencil case

Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:01 am

Programs: BA- GGL, Hyatt-GLB, Marriott- AMB
The current business amenity bags are supplied by Formia, located down the road from CX in Lai Chi Kok. They are also suppliers to many airlines like Thai, EVA, ANA, JAL etc

http://www.formia.com

The current bag version, IMO, is slightly better than the bag from BA Club World. At least the material is thicker.

By using the same supplier, CX has the option to go with Rimowa, Porsche Design, or Samsonite, but obviously wants to distinguish themselves with more creative choices!?

At least they hear us and are soliciting the opinions of members.

Let's hope we see something better in the refresh!

BTW, the new Porsche Design for Malaysian Air looks nice! Also supplied by Formia.

Old Sep 3, 2015, 10:35 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
The S style reminds me of UA J kits. I use mine all the time, it's so functional .
Old Sep 3, 2015, 12:42 pm

BA kit bags come in very handy to reuse them as shoe bags when travelling
Old Sep 4, 2015, 12:39 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by Mafai
BTW, the new Porsche Design for Malaysian Air looks nice! Also supplied by Formia.
MH had a nice Tumi one before this one as well.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 1:16 am

According to an email from Cathay insight, there will be changes to the amenity kits, as follows:

- 現時以一條帶子來關上套裝袋的設計,將會被更安全的拉鍊方式取代
- 套裝袋將會以防水材料製造
- 乘客很著重套裝袋的大小和實用性,因此我們會推出輕巧的方盒形手提包設計

Translation:

1. The "rope" will be replaced by a safer zipper
2. The new kit will be made with water-proof material
3. The new design will be in cuboid shape

In my view, basically it means the previous agnes b style ^

Last edited by LchChester; Nov 5, 2015 at 8:05 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.