Wiki Posts
Search

PEK to HKG - 333 or 77W

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2015, 3:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
PEK to HKG - 333 or 77W

We're doing a one way from PEK to HKG on a Tuesday in Business. We were hoping to do a CX flight.

I see the planes on those routes are either a 333 or a 77W. Unfortunately I can't figure out how to display the current seats available when booking a flight.

According to Seat Guru, there are 3 models of the 333, Two 3 Cabins with 1-2-1 (33G and 33K) seats and a Regional with 2-2-2 seating (33Z). The 77W isn't even listed in Seat Guru.

Does anyone know what to expect in J on either of these flights? Which aircraft is recommended for this flight? Better yet, how can I find the seat map for the flight I've chosen on CX's website?
Old Aug 1, 2015, 4:32 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by phkc070408
We're doing a one way from PEK to HKG on a Tuesday in Business. We were hoping to do a CX flight.

I see the planes on those routes are either a 333 or a 77W. Unfortunately I can't figure out how to display the current seats available when booking a flight.

According to Seat Guru, there are 3 models of the 333, Two 3 Cabins with 1-2-1 (33G and 33K) seats and a Regional with 2-2-2 seating (33Z). The 77W isn't even listed in Seat Guru.

Does anyone know what to expect in J on either of these flights? Which aircraft is recommended for this flight? Better yet, how can I find the seat map for the flight I've chosen on CX's website?
mate.... you could always google "cathay pacific 77W seat map"....first link...

fyi, if you insist on Seat Guru ignore the recommendations. But, indeed they have the map - CX has two versions of 77W: "77H" and "77G". Both are on there.

Take a spin around our FAQ and links, there is heaps of information about the seat in there. Overall the preference would be for 77W on the route (which is probably "77H"), but equipment swaps are frequent.

there are also menus posted here, recent discussions about PEK, etc. Best off using the "advance search" feature since the regular search feature sucks for lack of a better word.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 4:46 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A501 Safari/9537.53)

I would say - no difference at all.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 8:27 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Better yet, how can I find the seat map for the flight I've chosen on CX's website?
Login Manage My Booking with your booking reference will do

As QRC3288 said, if it's 77W then very likely it'll be a 77H. But CX had sent 772Z and 773Z to PEK previously

For 333, it's even harder to guess, but likely it's a 33Z

And even you've checked your seatmap, equipment may change last minute anyway
Old Aug 1, 2015, 9:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What time of day do you aspire to fly? Answering this question will help us give you more informed advice. But, in the absence of further info, I dare say that a/c type is the least of your concerns (i.e. unless you fancy spending a very long time hanging around PEK, you will end up switching to a flight that is semi-ready to actually leave Beijing).

Last edited by moondog; Aug 1, 2015 at 9:21 am
Old Aug 3, 2015, 2:10 am
Original Poster

We were looking at either the 10:00am-ish departure or the 3:00pm-ish departure.

We are from the US and normally fly UA because of the hub at EWR that is very convemient for us. I've always wanted to try an Asian carrier and have heard good things about CX.

So regarding the equipment, I see that sometimes CX has a flight with the 1-2-1 in J with the flat bed seats. Since our day is quite flexible, I was hoping to try and catch the flight with 1-2-1 seating, since both flights are the same price.

While we like to fly in J, we aren't frequent flyers and always have to pay for it. Unfortunately anywhere in the US that we can afford to fly in a 1-2-1 enviornment isn't long enough of a flight to offer such equipment.

That said, we are looking for the 1-2-2 as an experience.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 2:29 am

Programs: Marco Polo Diamond, Flying Blue Platinum for Life, GHA Black, IHG Platinum
We were looking at either the 10:00am-ish departure or the 3:00pm-ish departure.

We are from the US and normally fly UA because of the hub at EWR that is very convemient for us. I've always wanted to try an Asian carrier and have heard good things about CX.

So regarding the equipment, I see that sometimes CX has a flight with the 1-2-1 in J with the flat bed seats. Since our day is quite flexible, I was hoping to try and catch the flight with 1-2-1 seating, since both flights are the same price.

While we like to fly in J, we aren't frequent flyers and always have to pay for it. Unfortunately anywhere in the US that we can afford to fly in a 1-2-1 enviornment isn't long enough of a flight to offer such equipment.

That said, we are looking for the 1-2-2 as an experience.
There is no way you can be 100% sure, unfortunately, until you see the aircraft sitting at the gate.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 2:46 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Currently CX390/391 are scheduled on 77H aircraft (1-2-1 business) but this may not hold for any period of time (I echo DernierVirage's comments of having to see the aircraft at the gate before you are confirmed on 1-2-1)
Old Aug 3, 2015, 3:04 am

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Getting a 5 day trial to expertflyer might e the easiest to set your heart at ease but then again, as many has mentioned, your expectations can be pawned on these regional hops as they are susceptible to unscheduled plane changes.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy
Getting a 5 day trial to expertflyer might e the easiest to set your heart at ease but then again, as many has mentioned, your expectations can be pawned on these regional hops as they are susceptible to unscheduled plane changes.
UA is the same way as far as getting international lie-flat seats on Domestic F. They consider it "if you get lucky, you get lucky, but that isn't the promised service." I should have suspected that the same applies here.

Originally Posted by percysmith
Currently CX390/391 are scheduled on 77H aircraft (1-2-1 business) but this may not hold for any period of time (I echo DernierVirage's comments of having to see the aircraft at the gate before you are confirmed on 1-2-1)
I'll check it out, when we get closet to knowing our departure date. I don't know what this is, but it sounds like it's worth checking out.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 2:25 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
right now Mainland China to HKG is a shitshow due to PLA controlling the airspace, most times you show up super early at the airport and get on ANY flight leaving.
People in paid J or Y+ have taken Y just to get to HKG, so aim for EARLY day flights and play by ear.
As an OWE (AA) on a Y+ ticket I was superglad to get a Y- ticket last minute in Y (non aisle or exit row) with just a 2 hour delay, my original flight left some 7-8 hours late...
PLA has made China flights a total mess...
Old Aug 4, 2015, 8:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy
I'm not sure whether the likelihood of an equipment change would be very high on this route. Since they do sell F, there aren't many options in terms of reaccommodation for pax if F is swapped out(I mean they could change pax to KA but I doubt they'll be very happy)
Old Aug 4, 2015, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by jona970318
I'm not sure whether the likelihood of an equipment change would be very high on this route. Since they do sell F, there aren't many options in terms of reaccommodation for pax if F is swapped out(I mean they could change pax to KA but I doubt they'll be very happy)
Are you being serious? They swap equipment or cancel flights several times per week!
Old Aug 6, 2015, 5:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by moondog
Are you being serious? They swap equipment or cancel flights several times per week!
To the only two CX flights per day?! What do they do to the F pax?
Old Aug 6, 2015, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by jona970318
To the only two CX flights per day?! What do they do to the F pax?
I'm not not sure what they do with the f pax, but I'm guessing either downgrade or f on CA/ka (assuming ka actually sells f). In any case, ime any given cx flight is just as likely to get pulled than any given ka flight (though the station manager in Beijing told me that ka908/909 usually flies because it is their highest demand flight).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.