Wiki Posts
Search

Chance of sitting together again?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2015, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX AY DL
Chances of sitting together again?

So I just did OLCI for a KA flight on Sunday, and the seat map shows like having only 7-8 seats left and all are separated quite far away I'm traveling as a family of 3 and it matters a bit if we can sit together. Will I have any luck in asking the check in counter on Sunday whether they can rearrange the seats for us? Flying Y.

And no we don't have young children. Or maybe I shouldn't have bought an S class fare in the first place...

Last edited by fishball; Jul 30, 2015 at 6:46 pm Reason: typo
Old Jul 30, 2015, 6:29 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, CX MPC Gold, Hilton Hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by fishball
So I just did OLCI for a KA flight on Sunday, and the seat map shows like having only 7-8 seats left and all are separated quite far away I'm traveling as a family of 3 and it matters a bit if we can sit together. Will I have any luck in asking the check in counter on Sunday whether they can rearrange the seats for us? Flying Y.

And no we don't have young children. Or maybe I shouldn't have bought an S class fare in the first place...
From experience, they have some seats blocked for this reason, but you may want to get to the airport early to ensure that you will get them.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 2:25 am

From my experience, the checkin agent would ask you to seek help from cabin crew to swap the seat with others. If you meet a nice cabin crew, he/ she may help you. But I have a experience that the cabin crew said it is not her job and asked me to swap the seat for myself.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by Iamhappy
From experience, they have some seats blocked for this reason, but you may want to get to the airport early to ensure that you will get them.
+1. Do in-town check-in if possible, you can always give it a second shot at the airport...
Old Jul 31, 2015, 2:36 am

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
There's your answer. I say this not to flame you, but: You don't have young children who would need an adult sitting next to them -- in which case I expect CX/KA would be accommodating. Instead, you have a preference that your party sit together. CX/KA sell fares that include this service or offer it for free to status pax. Having chosen not to pay for this, why then will you ask KA to inconvenience passengers who did by seat-shifting them, or try to inconvenience them yourself by asking them onboard?
Old Jul 31, 2015, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by CrazyJ82
There's your answer. I say this not to flame you, but: You don't have young children who would need an adult sitting next to them -- in which case I expect CX/KA would be accommodating. Instead, you have a preference that your party sit together. CX/KA sell fares that include this service or offer it for free to status pax. Having chosen not to pay for this, why then will you ask KA to inconvenience passengers who did by seat-shifting them, or try to inconvenience them yourself by asking them onboard?
Asking at check-in whether or not there's seats blocked and/or available isn't exactly inconveniencing anyone. Asking others onboard is a no-go in most cases...
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CrazyJ82
I know they have no obligation to fulfil my request..I'm here to ask for anecdotes of successful rearrangement Besides I booked this ticket thru an online TA and had no idea of its fare class before completing payment.

Originally Posted by guidospizza
+1. Do in-town check-in if possible, you can always give it a second shot at the airport...
Originally Posted by guidospizza
Asking at check-in whether or not there's seats blocked and/or available isn't exactly inconveniencing anyone. Asking others onboard is a no-go in most cases...
Sadly from where I live I won't be riding the airport express...better luck next time
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:45 am

Usually people are nice enough to change seats on-board provided they are the same type of seats (aisle to aisle, window to window, etc.) So don't let most of the posters here discouraged you, I have seen it on board numerous times and never seen people say no to family's that just wanted to sit together, again, provided you offer the same type of seat.

But yes, in the future, you should be more careful about it. I know how stressful it can be for parents thinking that there's a remote possibility that you may be split from you little kids.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 3:58 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Usually people are nice enough to change seats on-board provided they are the same type of seats (aisle to aisle, window to window, etc.) So don't let most of the posters here discouraged you, I have seen it on board numerous times and never seen people say no to family's that just wanted to sit together, again, provided you offer the same type of seat.
Yes, many passengers are accommodating in providing same types of seats.

But yes, in the future, you should be more careful about it. I know how stressful it can be for parents thinking that there's a remote possibility that you may be split from you little kids.
Er... no children in this case.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
Yes, many passengers are accommodating in providing same types of seats.

Er... no children in this case.
Oh 3 adults? No problem...
Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Just a quick update - asked nicely at the checkin counter in HKIA and they reassigned us three together on an exit row!
Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Just a quick update - asked nicely at the checkin counter in HKIA and they reassigned us three together on an exit row!
Nice ^
Old Aug 3, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
I'm usually a last minute flyer, so never too picky on my seats. I find a lot of regional CX/KA flyers aren't too picky as well, so asking onboard is always doable. I would switch too.

However on a long haul, I wouldn't switch because I chose a specific seats for a reason...
Old Aug 3, 2015, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
Nice ^
Guess nobody is biting on the $100 extra exit row seat
Old Aug 3, 2015, 8:37 pm

Guess nobody is biting on the $100 extra exit row seat
Wow, they have those on KA? Never came across that...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.