Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

JFK to HKG which flight to choose please

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2015, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex, AA, BA, Delta, True Blue, Hyatt, Fairmont, Marriott, HH, IHG
Question JFK to HKG which flight to choose please

We are holding seats on the the 0130-0515 non-stop JFK-HKG in J for a vacation trip next May. Is that a good choice of flights for food, experience, arrival time, or are the other flights at 1000-1400, or 1450-1850 maybe a better flying and arrival experience? We have never been there before and are flexible on the departure/arrival time if there is a best choice.

Also, CX shows the plane as 77W. Any guidance please on best choice of seats?
Old Jul 24, 2015, 3:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
All 3 flights are operated by 77H (4 class 777-300ER), check seatguru. Do you like red eye flights?
Old Jul 24, 2015, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the plane info, the seat map looks favorable. ^

I generally don't like red eye flights, but was wondering if maybe for a 16 hour flight it would be a good choice. Usually I would prefer a late morning or afternoon flight. I guess that's what I'm trying to think through; should I should switch to one of the other flights?

Any thoughts on this would be great, especially if you have experienced this long of a flight, which I have not.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 5:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
If you can fall asleep easily on a plane, go for the red eye flight. You'll arrive at HKG rested and full of energy.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Note that CX845 features an abbreviated supper service, which has been the subject of much discussion and controversy in another thread about J meal service. The second meal is a full breakfast prior to landing, at about 3am HK time.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 12:21 am

The 0130 will be the best if you can sleep on planes, otherwise take the 1000. All the NYC flights are killers for jetlag though.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Thank you, I will stay with the 0130. Is there a CX lounge at JFK, or which lounge would I use pre-departure?
Old Jul 25, 2015, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA LifeTime PLT (2.982 MM, But 3MM+ Total), HHonors GOLD, IHG AMB
Originally Posted by bigjimbo99
Thank you, I will stay with the 0130. Is there a CX lounge at JFK, or which lounge would I use pre-departure?
If you are in J, then it's the BA Business Class Lounge which also has an Elemis Spa there. You will like that lounge. A 16 hour flight at 1:30 AM is the one you want to take. This is the one I fly when out of JFK.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 4:07 pm

We are holding seats on the the 0130-0515 non-stop JFK-HKG in J for a vacation trip next May. Is that a good choice of flights for food, experience, arrival time, or are the other flights at 1000-1400, or 1450-1850 maybe a better flying and arrival experience? We have never been there before and are flexible on the departure/arrival time if there is a best choice.

Also, CX shows the plane as 77W. Any guidance please on best choice of seats?
When I was only flying out of JFK I would only fly the 0130 flight. Here are why:

1) Less crowded, easier check-in experience and security experience
2) For some reason, this is the flight that has the highest chance of upgrades (but I guess you wouldn't worry about it)
3) Yes it's abbreviated supper, but by 0130 in the morning you are likely not in the mood for a full dinner anyway.
4) BA J lounge is the better lounge anyway (better than F), but the spa won't be open at that time.
5) You fly into HKG at 0530, perfect to start your day (assuming you can sleep in CX J, which I would suspect you can, it's flat bed and very comfy.
6) The only downside is probably extra night for hotel that you won't use, but then again that's only chump change.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA (PLATINUM), HHonors (DIAMOND)

This flight is the abbreviated "supper" service. I find CX J food abbreviated enough.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Are abbreviated supper and breakfast the only meals available? I just took 811 ex-BOS in F, which leaves at around the same time (0140). There was full dinner service available with the regular full menu (but I went to sleep after takeoff and didn't have the dinner until well after I woke up). Why would food options be different on flights of the same length leaving from the same place (essentially) at the same local time?
Old Jul 26, 2015, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
F is different from J as far as catering goes for these redeye flights. F will get a more substantial dinner menu with caviar etc. IIRC.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
BA lounge
Old Jul 27, 2015, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
When I was only flying out of JFK I would only fly the 0130 flight. Here are why:

1) Less crowded, easier check-in experience and security experience
2) For some reason, this is the flight that has the highest chance of upgrades (but I guess you wouldn't worry about it)
3) Yes it's abbreviated supper, but by 0130 in the morning you are likely not in the mood for a full dinner anyway.
4) BA J lounge is the better lounge anyway (better than F), but the spa won't be open at that time.
5) You fly into HKG at 0530, perfect to start your day (assuming you can sleep in CX J, which I would suspect you can, it's flat bed and very comfy.
6) The only downside is probably extra night for hotel that you won't use, but then again that's only chump change.
All excellent points. However, I still prefer 10a for family travel (OP said "we", maybe that's just a couple?). There's something exciting about getting up, heading to the airport, feeling the buzz in the departure hall, having a couple of drinks in the am...the 0100+ departure (be it BOS/EWR/JFK) to me is just such a buzz kill. Sullen faces on the travelers, deserted airport, tough keeping kids up, etc. Theres just no energy at that hour. And arriving 1400 still allows for a swim, a relaxing evening out, and a full, jetlag-conquering sleep that first night.

FYI - if I fly alone, I take the 0100. But for family, 1000 gets my vote.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 10:08 pm

Programs: QF WP
I must be the weird one choosing the 1450 flight.

Get on board, may be eat the meal and watch sunset #1, crash, then wake up some time during the 2nd half of the flight, watch a movie, watch sunset #2 just before landing, and crash again after landing. I would wake up the next morning refreshed and jetlag free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.