Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2015, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: maortega15
This is a thread to discuss rumours / potential new routes for Cathay Pacific to fly to.

Current speculation:
Print Wikipost

New route speculation for Cathay

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2015, 5:40 pm
formerly gemini573
Original Poster

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
New route speculation for Cathay

Without starting a new thread and since we've talked about Seattle being a possible destination.... A friend of mine sent me a pic of what CX posted on their IG page but was quickly deleted. The pic was s ski slope and it was titled #flysomewherenew and underneath the #tag was Seattle. Did anyone see this?
Old Mar 6, 2015, 5:56 pm

Haha CX is so bad at keeping things on the low...
I even remember when most people knew what seat CX was launching in 2010 a year before the launch...
Old Mar 6, 2015, 6:46 pm

[QUOTE=gemini573;24467690] A friend of mine sent me a pic of what CX posted on their IG page but was quickly deleted. /QUOTE]

What is "IG page"?
Old Mar 6, 2015, 6:53 pm
formerly gemini573
Original Poster

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
[QUOTE=GE90-115B;24467906]
Originally Posted by gemini573
A friend of mine sent me a pic of what CX posted on their IG page but was quickly deleted. /QUOTE]

What is "IG page"?
Instagram.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 7:52 pm

Airliners.net link: http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/6335606/

SEA is one of the new routes being looked at. Then again, I was expecting them to start it with the A350 if anything.

Speaking of new routes, I've heard CPH is being looked at.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 8:08 pm
formerly gemini573
Original Poster

I think someone in their marketing department a mistake with that post. If you are on IG and search for #flysomewherenew, you'll see Boston as their new destination.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by maortega15

SEA is one of the new routes being looked at.
SEA, MIA, DFW are currently being looked at.

All could work well with the A350-1000.

But if SEA were to start now, A330 or 77W would do the trick.

MIA could be happen via Canadian city.

DFW can be flown direct, but with AA already doing DFW-HKG. Hard to see CX jump in.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by Patriots
SEA, MIA, DFW are currently being looked at.

All could work well with the A350-1000.

But if SEA were to start now, A330 or 77W would do the trick.

MIA could be happen via Canadian city.

DFW can be flown direct, but with AA already doing DFW-HKG. Hard to see CX jump in.
CX would not be able to do it with the A330. Remember, they have the A330-300 not -200.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I wonder if anyone knows how a new city is opened. I'm from Cambridge, just outside of Boston. I have an F award on the inaugural flight BOS-HKG. Does anyone here know:
  1. When they start a new destination, do they fly it once in advance just to try it out?
  2. For things like supplies, office furniture, etc., do they fly everything over in a freighter? Buy it locally? Ship it?
  3. Are ground staff transferred in? Hired locally? What are the odds that airport ops will be subcontracted to BA (as the JL checkin desks are manned by BA employees)?
Thanks!!
Old Mar 7, 2015, 8:24 am

Programs: AA (PLATINUM), HHonors (DIAMOND)
Zurich [confirmed], Boston [confirmed], Manchester [confirmed]!!!

MIA would be amazing. QR has been doing doing really well with MIA-DOH.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 8:43 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I wonder if anyone knows how a new city is opened. I'm from Cambridge, just outside of Boston. I have an F award on the inaugural flight BOS-HKG. Does anyone here know:
  1. When they start a new destination, do they fly it once in advance just to try it out?
  2. For things like supplies, office furniture, etc., do they fly everything over in a freighter? Buy it locally? Ship it?
  3. Are ground staff transferred in? Hired locally? What are the odds that airport ops will be subcontracted to BA (as the JL checkin desks are manned by BA employees)?
Thanks!!
The short answer is: a lot of research, number crunching, and business models.

They dont ever fly it just to "try it out". That would be a huge waste of money flying an empty plane. Essentially, CX sees a demand for BOS-Asia business and believe that their network of flights will add value for pax not just flying to HKG, but beyond their hub on other CX flights.

As for supplies, I'm not sure what you are referring to. They won't have an office in Boston, just ground staff to handle airport operations. The may hire outside sales/account managers to interact with travel agents and tour operators in New England, but they will be home based, and they won't have a brick and mortar office.

Airport ops will 99% be outsourced to a 3rd party contractor - it could be BA staff as you suggest, or any of the many other ground staff companies that do work for the other airlines.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 4:41 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
http://news.mingpao.com/pns/國泰考慮直航廣島.../1430331709919

Looks like CX is now considering Hiroshima as well as Spain and South America.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak
http://news.mingpao.com/pns/國泰考慮直航廣島.../1430331709919

Looks like CX is now considering Hiroshima as well as Spain and South America.
If Hiroshima launches, it'll probably be Dragonair who launches it.

But like I've said before, Spain and South America are being looked at.

Just to add aside from I've said above, CX is looking to launch HNL with the A350. We'll see if and when that happens. Fingers crossed.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by maortega15
But like I've said before, Spain and South America are being looked at.
The problem I see with South America for CX would be where would they route it through? I could honestly see BOS-GRU working; it isn't served nonstop currently, GRU is home to a significant hub for JJ which could carry passengers to EZE/Rio/SCL and other destinations, and BOS is home to a very significant community of immigrants from Brazil. So, there would be HKG-GRU and HKG-GRU-XXX traffic, and BOS-GRU traffic. That said, there are already quite a few travelers to/from South America flying the AA DFW-HKG and return flight, including in premium classes.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
The problem I see with South America for CX would be where would they route it through? I could honestly see BOS-GRU working; it isn't served nonstop currently, GRU is home to a significant hub for JJ which could carry passengers to EZE/Rio/SCL and other destinations, and BOS is home to a very significant community of immigrants from Brazil. So, there would be HKG-GRU and HKG-GRU-XXX traffic, and BOS-GRU traffic. That said, there are already quite a few travelers to/from South America flying the AA DFW-HKG and return flight, including in premium classes.
That's what I have mentioned in the past is where they would route it. Ideally, CX would want to route South America that has a based crew. And last time I remember, they were specifically looking at Santiago to link with LA's network. I'm not sure if they are still looking at Santiago now that TAM is in oneworld.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.