Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2015, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: maortega15
This is a thread to discuss rumours / potential new routes for Cathay Pacific to fly to.

Current speculation:
Print Wikipost

New route speculation for Cathay

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2015, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by IncyWincy
Is Swire part of Cathay or vice versa?
Found out this: Cathay's owner, Swire Group, has it's Swire Properties headquartered in Miami.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Kachjc
EWR is a UA fortress, CX does fine
same with SFO

so ATL and Houston are not out

CX can outdo any Asian Carrier, CX is now the largest asian Trans Pacific carrier...

finally by your logic, AA should not fly to HK cause HK is CX's territory

with respect to AA

CX has Asia in it's backyard, AA has South America...
CX has way more potential to succeed to DFW, connecting it to SIN,China,Indonesia and India...
Um, HKG-ATL and HKG-IAH is nothing like HKG-SFO and HKG-NYC in terms of O&D, which is perhaps the key factor.
SFO and NYC are also much bigger points for Asian traffic in general than ATL and IAH.
The lack of non-hub-alliance carriers at ATL and IAH is telling. I know, KE at IAH stands out. The business traffic from either does not align well with HKG (autos, manufacturing, oil).

As for the assertion that CX can outdo any Asian carrier, I'm proud of CX as anyone, but CX had to downgauge SFO, ORD, and YYZ. KE would also have something to say about being the biggest Asian TransPac, since CX still cannot match its breadth of places it goes. HKG is simply too far south to make places like ATL, LAS, HNL, DEN, work in terms of getting enough through-traffic from China and Japan like Japan/Korea can.

BOS to daily (350 then 77W), SEA (350, 4x to daily), and maybe, maybe MIA or IAD are the most likely for NA. (I think CX will also want to up SFO, LAX, and perhaps ORD if it can.)

As for Europe, SK is starting ARN so I think CX will steer clear of Scandinavia until the dust settles. CPH-HKG has higher O&D than ARN-HKG, but I think SK picked ARN to get intra-SK-hub flows. CX will want more LHR slots if it can get them. 6x daily, anyone? LHR-HKG is so busy that load factors are crazy high and a fair number go through ME3. MAN-HKG (up it to daily) will take some of the load off LHR. Or it could do a dual LGW/LHR strategy like it does with JFK/EWR. (Please don't start a fight over this analogy, I know it's not perfect.)
Old Jul 19, 2015, 6:35 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, United MileagePlus, TrueBlue, Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan (starting 2016)
Originally Posted by dcahkg
FWIW, SCMP: CX revenue manager Hwang said Zurich and Boston are faring beyond expectations.
I'm a little confused about your wording.

Is this positively going beyond expectations or falling short of those expectations?
Old Jul 19, 2015, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by adambisi
I'm a little confused about your wording.

Is this positively going beyond expectations or falling short of those expectations?
Excuse me, the source was The Standard, not SCMP. The wording was the reporter's paraphrasing, so I took that to mean ZRH and BOS were doing better than CX had thought they would.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 7:53 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by dcahkg
Excuse me, the source was The Standard, not SCMP. The wording was the reporter's paraphrasing, so I took that to mean ZRH and BOS were doing better than CX had thought they would.
http://www.thestandard.com.hk/news_d...d_str=20150715
http://www.thestandard.com.hk/news_d...304&con_type=1
Old Jul 20, 2015, 9:16 am

Programs: LAN COMODORO
I would love if they put the 350 for the LAX to HKG or HKG to PEK next year... i have never fly on a 350 and April and Octuber next year i am flying those routes.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 7:41 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I have moved the posts relating to no F class on the A350 to a separate thread as it probably deserves its own discussion.

sxc
Cathay Pacific Moderator
Old Jul 21, 2015, 7:30 pm

Programs: LAN COMODORO
i was reading that they will start flying the A350 in March with national routes, read it on a Australian web sites, anyone has info on that
Old Jul 22, 2015, 12:48 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
BOS - I heard BOS has same issue with ORD, great premium traffic, poor Y traffic (funny how "great" premium load can't carry a route to expansion the same way great Y loads can)

ATL - might be good to explore, SE USA seems to be underserved

MIA - might be stretching it a bit, I just don't see the market.

PHL - Might be good to try it out

DFW - definitely in my opinion should of been done years ago.

SEA - also a decent route that is worthy of a try.
Miami is the biggest local market from Hong Kong in the Southeast by a wide margin - bigger than Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, etc.

It's too far for a non-stop, but the market size is good and the yields are awesome because it leans very premium.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by CX828
I am surprised CX are not interested in flying to MAD over BCN with the opportunity to fly into Iberia's OW hub and the European, West African, and S. American connections that could be offered there.
I have been wondering about that for a long time. MAD would offer such superior transfer experience to South America compared with the alternatives via the U.S., which requires a visa and often terminal change (JFK). MAD probably offers as many S.A. connections as DFW, which is currently the best option for OW passengers going from HKG to S.A. (using AA).
Old Jul 30, 2015, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy

MIA - might be stretching it a bit, I just don't see the market.
It's all about HKG-South America! I'm guessing if they do operate this route (with restricted loads) it will be 60-70% South America-bound, leveraging AA's unrivaled network there (crappy terminal notwithstanding).
Old Jul 30, 2015, 2:03 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by NYC212
It's all about HKG-South America! I'm guessing if they do operate this route (with restricted loads) it will be 60-70% South America-bound, leveraging AA's unrivaled network there (crappy terminal notwithstanding).
HKG-South America connects just fine via DFW and SYD. It's not about HKG-South America at all.

And if you think that AA's brand new MIA terminal sucks, curious what you think of other airports considering MIA is by far one of the nicest in the U.S.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 2:09 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by NYC212
why is a 1-stop at YVR that bad if MIA bound...
Old Jul 30, 2015, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
DFW Terminal D beats MIA in every possible way.

If MIA was that important or that premium in the eyes of any Asian carrier (or AA's Asian route planners) - some of them - ANY of them, would have had N/S or one stop service - the fact that it doesn't tells you something.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Hollinger Clarke
DFW Terminal D beats MIA in every possible way.
Terminal D at DFW beats MIA in total? Lol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.