Cathay water contamination 24 June

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2015, 9:57 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
Original Poster

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Cathay water contamination 24 June

http://hkm.appledaily.com/detail.php...&guid=19197499

CX finally distributing a bottle per person on those planes, QF has been doing this on their long-haul Y long ago...
Old Jun 24, 2015, 10:02 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Here's one in English:

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/e...-after-samples
Old Jun 24, 2015, 11:19 pm

Huh. My MEL-HKG flight on 23 July (A330) was evidently one of those affected, as it was announced no coffee or cup noodles would be available due to a problem with the water tanks. Shame as I had a lot of work to do and desperately needed caffeine. I had to survive on Coke Zeroes.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 11:51 pm

Programs: CX MPC
Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Huh. My MEL-HKG flight on 23 July (A330) was evidently one of those affected, as it was announced no coffee or cup noodles would be available due to a problem with the water tanks. Shame as I had a lot of work to do and desperately needed caffeine. I had to survive on Coke Zeroes.
Your experience contradicts Cathay's claim in the SCMP article linked above that hot drinks and cup noodles will still be served, using bottled water instead. Sounds like that's just the line for PR consumption, rather than what's really happening.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 12:52 am

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by dgittings
Your experience contradicts Cathay's claim in the SCMP article linked above that hot drinks and cup noodles will still be served, using bottled water instead. Sounds like that's just the line for PR consumption, rather than what's really happening.
Poor showing by CX Did they think nobody would notice?
Old Jun 25, 2015, 1:29 am
Original Poster

Not enough 1.5L bottles for making coffee:

據悉,國泰高層日前已用內部電郵發出新指引,提醒員工為審慎預防,部份客機食水缸的水暫不能飲用,故這14 架航機出發時,會額外獲提供60至80支1.5公升裝的樽裝水,確保乘客有足夠乾淨水飲用。電郵又請機組人 員以廣播婉轉提醒乘客,勿飲用機艙洗手間水喉水刷牙。

國泰空中服務員工會主席黎玉嬋希望公司盡快查明污染原因,並指前線員工擔心未能提供足夠食水沖咖啡等熱飲給 客人,她解釋一程14小時波音777長途機,60支1.5公升樽裝水要分給216名經濟客位乘客,平均每人 只分到兩杯半水,明顯不夠用,她已去信向管理層反映員工憂慮。
Old Jun 25, 2015, 1:33 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Water boils at a lower temperature inflight. Is it hot enough to kill bacteria?
Old Jun 25, 2015, 3:50 am

Programs: MPC, OneWorld, 1865 Voyager, Hyatt, Horizon Club
Originally Posted by sxc
Water boils at a lower temperature inflight. Is it hot enough to kill bacteria?
I believe so.

B777s usually maintain a cabin altitude of approximately 8,000ft (with B744s being highest at around 9000ft). Boiling temperature of water at these altitudes are at 90-92C, which is still high enough to kill bacteria (cooking recommended at 70C in the centre for 2 min).

Source: http://www.eufic.org/page/en/page/FA...void-bacteria/
Old Jun 25, 2015, 7:14 am
Original Poster

CX water has E. Coli contamination

國泰機水樣本驗出大腸菌群

http://hk.on.cc/hk/bkn/cnt/news/2015...00822_001.html
Old Jun 25, 2015, 9:25 am

Programs: KrisFlyer, AA, Qantas, SPG, Marriott
I had to survive on Coke Zeroes.
You have an addiction my friend.. an Apple is better than coke zero if they had it (no joke!)
Old Jun 25, 2015, 10:32 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by jubbing
You have an addiction my friend.. an Apple is better than coke zero if they had it (no joke!)
An apple doesn't have caffeine.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 1:05 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer, AA, Qantas, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by hiima
An apple doesn't have caffeine.
Duh - never said it did. Apple's have natural glucose and natural sugar called fructose. This gives you a steady boost of energy over caffeine which makes you crash after an instant boost.

Also healthier. Try it.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 6:08 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ, BA, TG, Sheba, VN, MPO since 1980
They need to identify the common supply source in whatever country
It means other airlines will be affected also but they have all clammed up, so far
http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/h...ure-come-clean
Cathay Pacific was facing criticism yesterday for not being forthcoming with details of a tainted water problem, as it declined to disclose which aircraft and passengers were affected.
Water samples collected from the tanks of 14 Cathay aircraft between June 10 and 18 were found to be unsatisfactory.
Coliform bacteria, a commonly used indicator of hygiene, was detected at a level from less than 10 to 90 units per 100 millilitres of water.
An aviation expert said that as the source of contamination remained unknown, aircraft of other airlines could also be at risk.
The Health Department said all 14 affected aircraft would be disinfected after returning to Hong Kong by today.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
There was a hand written note in all the lavatories on my cathay flight today warning not to drink or use the water for teeth brushing.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 7:39 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
I had a different experience, I kinda wonder if you were facing a different issue? I wonder if the problem is a bit more complex than they explained?

I was on B-KPA (77H) yesterday and it clearly was one of the affected ones....a) very public announcement upon departure saying all consumed water in all classes would be from a bottled source due to tank problems, b) signs in every bathroom saying do not use the water for oral use, including teeth brushing, and c) another announcement saying all boiled water from the tank was unaffected, and could be consumed for noodles and hot drinks.

Perhaps you were on a flight soon after the issue was discovered and they hadn't sorted out protocol yet...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.