Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

A chilly experience: frozen solid Haagen Dazs!

Old Jun 11, 2015, 11:54 am
Original Poster

I took 8 trips on CX recently in J and noticed that every time they serve Haagen Dazs as dessert, it's absolutely frozen rock solid... making it near impossible to scoop and eat without crushing your jaw... each time my paper container will rip as I attempted to eat it making a rather undignified scene.

Makes the ice-cream eating experience, which is supposed to be a pleasurable one, rather fraught.

So much so that on my last CX flight I just ripped the paper cup and plonked the entire frozen cube into my coffee... and had a make-shift affogato instead!

Why can't CX get the finer things right? By contrast, the ice-cream served on EK and even MH are at the right temperature and perfect texture for consuming.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 1:39 pm

Programs: CX Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Sit at either the very back or the very front such that at dinner service, they will get to you last, granting enough time for your ice cream to warm up.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 2:41 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond+, CA Gold, SQ Silver
Because there was a MPO member who complained the ice cream being too soft, y'know some DYKWIAs likes to niggle at minor stuff, and told the ISM that thawing the ice cream at room temperature for a long period may lead to food poisoning. ISM informed ISD, both CX and KA ISD changed guidelines such that ice cream are served rock hard. It happened ages ago though.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 3:01 pm

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
Yes, when it comes to ice cream, I think MH gets it right. Dunno what they did in the galley but by the time it gets to me, it is in a perfect condition. CX ice cream on the other hand is just like you said.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 3:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
1) They probably keep it on dry ice which is super cold

2) If you look carefully you will see a notice on the plastic part of the lid that says you should open the lid and wait 8-10 minutes before consumption to let it soften up.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 3:32 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by forumpersona999
1) They probably keep it on dry ice which is super cold

2) If you look carefully you will see a notice on the plastic part of the lid that says you should open the lid and wait 8-10 minutes before consumption to let it soften up.
I recall if I ask for it mid-flight, they always tell me it is frozen and would be the best if I wait for about 10 min before eating. I forget if they say anything if served immediately after a meal.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
I took 8 trips on CX recently in J and noticed that every time they serve Haagen Dazs as dessert, it's absolutely frozen rock solid...
This has been the case in business and coach for a long time now (like almost 10 years). You just leave it for 10 minutes. They're not going to take it away from you!
Old Jun 11, 2015, 5:13 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
I took 8 trips on CX recently in J and noticed that every time they serve Haagen Dazs as dessert, it's absolutely frozen rock solid... making it near impossible to scoop and eat without crushing your jaw... each time my paper container will rip as I attempted to eat it making a rather undignified scene.
Yes, when the ice cream arrives it's exactly as you say. I don't even try for a few minutes and that bit of patience goes a long way towards solving the issue
Old Jun 11, 2015, 5:27 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
My experiences on my 897 flights...by the time we reach the international dateline (roughly 7 hours later), the ice cream is just right.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 6:09 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
these complaints are getting to the stage of ridicule reminds me of my wife who just can't stop complaining about anything and everything. The moment it goes soft, she would say it's not hard enough. ** pardon the pun that sounds very funny if taken wrongly

anyways back to the point. I believe galley storage are extremely cold thus it's likely served rock cold... it's ok, let it sit there for 10-15 minutes. if you insist ask for warm water, put it on top of icecream... technology goes a long way.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 7:10 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club; Asia Miles
I am surprised........ During my previous J flight, like 6+ months, they placed in "hot" water and dried it before handling out. I saw them do that. Of course, this doesn't imply to PEY & EY, always rock solid which I always set aside for at least 10 mins.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 7:32 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I was told by a crew member once that they are supposed to take them out at the beginning of service so they are soft by the time dessert is served. But most crew ignore these instructions.

Also, as an aside, ice cream is a cop out dessert.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 9:00 pm

yes, the instruction is when dining service starts they are to take out the ice cream early to let them warm up. But most crews simply ignore the procedures and just wanted to get things done quickly and get it over with. They are more than happy to throw a rock at you. And no they don't defrost after 10 minutes, try 20-30 minutes for a frozen rock hard solid ice cream to melt soft enough to eat.

I personally don't mind it, I like hard ice cream and I just used the silverware spoon to pound into it and eat it hard. But yes, for those that aren't strong enough to do that and likes it soft, you're not going to get it that way.

I have seem J crews put the ice creams in microwaves? to soften them and serve to J pax.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 10:10 pm

Programs: QF WP
May be it's just the way the ice cream is. I once bought one from a vending machine in Japan, and it was also frozen solid. Letting it warm up and soften up made a big difference to the taste too.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 11:22 pm
Suspended

If it's too hard, you have the option of waiting a few minutes for it to soften up.
You can't do the same for vice versa (at least not at the seat).

You just can't please all 300 passengers.

What's next? A thread on water being too warm?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.