Wiki Posts
Search

Penalty for involuntary downgrade?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2015, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: CXAM BAEC
Penalty for involuntary downgrade?

I redeemed a round trip PY HKG/NRT ticket and have already used the outbound sector. Few days ago, CX informed me that the due to equipment change, they have rebooked my return flight in Y and will refund the mileage differences. I reluctantly accepted as my work schedue was fixed. Now there is a last minute change of my work schedule that I can travel on a different date so I called CX to change my reservation. Still, there is no PY available for my desire flight so I decided to go ahead with booking Y. Surprisingly, I was told that in such case, my ticket would need to re-issue and there will be deduction of another 10000 points or USD100

Am I being double penalty? Involuntary downgrade + extra cost of reissue ticket
Old May 27, 2015, 11:19 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
I don't think you're being charged a penalty for a downgrade, but rather because regardless to if you've been downgraded or not, you're being charged to change the ticket.

Anyways the AM option is always terrible.
Old May 27, 2015, 11:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - You are entitled to a refund of the fare difference, e.g. miles for the DG. You are then being charged for a change which has nothing to do with the DG.
Old May 27, 2015, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CXAM BAEC
Originally Posted by Often1
OP - You are entitled to a refund of the fare difference, e.g. miles for the DG. You are then being charged for a change which has nothing to do with the DG.
I agree the charge for changing the date which is 1K miles/USD25 but CX is charging 10K miles or USD100 for reissue ticket which I was forced to pay due to no PY available on my requested flight. Anyway, if you look at the redemption avilability chart of HKG/TYO, quite often they offer PY only on higher demand dates. But not all HKG/TYO flights operate with PY, or I should say many regional flights do no operate with PY. Unless you have fixed the travel date, otherwise, do consider to redeem J to avoid the problem I experienced.
Old May 27, 2015, 5:05 pm

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
The two HND flights are using 77H and 74K - both of which have PEY cabin so you should have requested for a switch to one of the two. Well too late now I guess....
Old May 27, 2015, 7:58 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Yes I agree with Often1. Two matters:

Original equipment swap - action initiated by CX - refund of mile difference. But in CX's record you're still originally in Y.

Change of dates - action initiated by you. If no PE on that flight then reissue is proper.

I'm potentially doing something similar on a weekend trip to TYO. Hemmed in by both my and the missus' work schedules. Since the CX and KA flights are available on Avios I chose to use Avios - the max you can be charged is the YQ.
Old May 27, 2015, 10:47 pm

I am holding another view.

Under normal circumstances, after you have used the outbound, you cannot even change the booking class of subsequent segment(s), so the agent is wrong in citing you 10K miles or USD100 and I doubt if they actually can process that.

Since they have downgraded you to Y, I think (but not sure) that they have re-issue your ticket, thus you are now actually ticketed in Y. If that is the case, I don't think it will be an issue for you to change date and/or time with 1000AM.

On the other hand, since they have refunded you the miles, if you subsequently able to rebook to another date with PEY, then you get miles for free??

Actually, I thingk that you should have asked for HND

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.