Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Earning CX Status Miles on OW flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2015, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

Hello there,

First of all, just wanted to say thank you for sharing all this valuable information. I am thankful to have found such a great resource.

I am a newbie here so please be gentle if I my question is a bit silly.

I am based in HKG and enrolled in MPC, currently gold since I flew a lot for business last year.

My aim is to retain my gold status but to do so I need to earn around 22000 status miles in the next few months. I have a trip to Sydney planned and a few trips around Asia as well but it's not going to be enough.

I'm hoping to earn more miles by doing the OW pacific circle instead of a direct trip to Sydney as follow:

HKG-SFO-LAX-SYD-HKG or HKG-HND-SFO-SYD-HKG

And I have the following two questions:

1. Can I earn CX Status miles when using OW alliance airlines such as AA, JAL, QF (may sound silly but it's never clear on the T&Cs)

2. If so, does L fare type guarantees full CX status miles for each segment or is it specific to each airlines? In this case, where do I find the information?

I have asked on the OneWorld thread but got redirected here.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Greg
Old May 26, 2015, 11:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by greggaway

1. Can I earn CX Status miles when using OW alliance airlines such as AA, JAL, QF (may sound silly but it's never clear on the T&Cs)

2. If so, does L fare type guarantees full CX status miles for each segment or is it specific to each airlines? In this case, where do I find the information?
http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_H...-benefits.html
Old May 27, 2015, 12:41 am

Just curios to know, what's the difference in price for direct to Sydney and the one world pacific circle?

One point to supplement to the link above by PradoC, it depends on the marketing carrier, not the operating carrier to determine if a fare code is eligible.
Old May 27, 2015, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
I'm hoping to earn more miles by doing the OW pacific circle instead of a direct trip to Sydney as follow:

HKG-SFO-LAX-SYD-HKG or HKG-HND-SFO-SYD-HKG

I have asked on the OneWorld thread but got redirected here.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Greg
To earn full 100% miles, on 1), you need to book HKG-SFO on CX, SFO-LAX on AA, LAX-SYD on AA flight number instead of QF and SYD-HKG on CX. Its because L class on QF earns only 50% of miles whereas if booked on AA its 100%. So for 2), you'll earn only 50% of miles on JL in L class.. and then you need to again book AA flight number between SFO and SYD.

If you are about a month short of your requalifying, you may always ask MPC to give you an extension by a few weeks up to two months.
Old May 27, 2015, 7:35 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club; Asia Miles
Focus on CX or AA/US Airways.... JAL or QF requires you to purchase a higher class airfare which tends to be more expensive. I remember JAL provides only 50% or no MPC miles unless you pay for Y
Old May 27, 2015, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by LchChester
Just curios to know, what's the difference in price for direct to Sydney and the one world pacific circle?

One point to supplement to the link above by PradoC, it depends on the marketing carrier, not the operating carrier to determine if a fare code is eligible.
No kidding. I tried before. The price for flying for SFO - SYD via QF Vs SFO - HKG - SYN via CX is very close, like less than US$100. And yet, QF gives only 50%, stingy as JAL. I didn't regret doing it because I got 100% MPC miles plus I got to stop over HKG twice ^
Old May 27, 2015, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
To earn full 100% miles, on 1), you need to book HKG-SFO on CX, SFO-LAX on AA, LAX-SYD on AA flight number instead of QF and SYD-HKG on CX. Its because L class on QF earns only 50% of miles whereas if booked on AA its 100%. So for 2), you'll earn only 50% of miles on JL in L class.. and then you need to again book AA flight number between SFO and SYD.
This happened to me... I flew on an airfare purchased on AA with a AA fight # from SFO - NRT but operated by JAL. Got 50% of MPC miles only With that class, it is supposed to be 100% MPC Miles on AA
Old May 27, 2015, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for your valuable answers!

Guy Betsy, I'll definitely keep that in mind when booking. Now I just need to find a competent travel agent

Thanks again
Old May 28, 2015, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by JohnGreat
No kidding. I tried before. The price for flying for SFO - SYD via QF Vs SFO - HKG - SYN via CX is very close, like less than US$100. And yet, QF gives only 50%, stingy as JAL. I didn't regret doing it because I got 100% MPC miles plus I got to stop over HKG twice ^

But OP is starting from HKG not SFO
Old May 28, 2015, 9:44 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
This happened to me... I flew on an airfare purchased on AA with a AA fight # from SFO - NRT but operated by JAL. Got 50% of MPC miles only With that class, it is supposed to be 100% MPC Miles on AA
Ain't AA coded flight operated by JL follow AA's line of credit in the chart? Why just 50%?
Old May 28, 2015, 11:12 am

Programs: DL PLT, Hilton Diamond, CX MPC Silver
Originally Posted by sscywong
Ain't AA coded flight operated by JL follow AA's line of credit in the chart? Why just 50%?
I'm curious as well...perhaps it was actually JL coded?
Old May 28, 2015, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by sscywong
Well, maybe they have changed. It was summer of 2009 when this travel took place. I contacted MPC at that time pretending I'm flying AA. They told me they follow who's the operator. Just like when I need to fly to TPE/KHH from SFO. Even with a AA code, operator is Eva Air... nothing for me
Old May 30, 2015, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Thank you all for your valuable answers!

Guy Betsy, I'll definitely keep that in mind when booking. Now I just need to find a competent travel agent

Thanks again
You may book through oneworld website or book through AA in HKG.
Old May 30, 2015, 9:18 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Well, maybe they have changed. It was summer of 2009 when this travel took place. I contacted MPC at that time pretending I'm flying AA. They told me they follow who's the operator. Just like when I need to fly to TPE/KHH from SFO. Even with a AA code, operator is Eva Air... nothing for me
If it's AA-coded and operated by a OW carrier or AS/QX, it should be 100% (unless it's O class or trans-Atlantic Q class). It is possible to buy JL-coded flights on AA.com, though. Also, if you were rebooked by JL for any reason, you may have been rebooked to a JL-prime FLT. AA-coded FLTs operated by BR is a diff story; it is not operated by a OW carrier then.
Old May 31, 2015, 4:33 am

Unless you have a need to go to US, otherwise, it seems doing ex-TPE to SYD twice is cheaper.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.