Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Compensation for broken J seat?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2015, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Compensation for broken J seat?

What is a good compensation amount for a broken J seat? My partner award seat lax-hkg was completely broken. Seat wouldn't lie flat and the FA had to manually put it down and once flat wouldn't go back upright. A deadhead had to switch seats with me and during landing she had to take a jumpseat since the seat wouldn't go up. The head purser said she will give a report about the J seat breaking mid flight for be to receive compensation. What is a reasonable amount for compensation?
Old May 23, 2015, 8:21 pm
cxn

Originally Posted by hiima
What is a good compensation amount for a broken J seat? My partner award seat lax-hkg was completely broken. Seat wouldn't lie flat and the FA had to manually put it down and once flat wouldn't go back upright. A deadhead had to switch seats with me and during landing she had to take a jumpseat since the seat wouldn't go up. The head purser said she will give a report about the J seat breaking mid flight for be to receive compensation. What is a reasonable amount for compensation?
I had a broken F seat, same thing as you describe, and CX gave me an upgrade coupon for my next flight.
Old May 23, 2015, 9:15 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
you'll need to be proactive. I wouldn't count on CX to reach out to you./

That said, a non-working J or F class seats is a serious problem IME. You blatantly aren't getting what you pay for - else, why the 4-10x premium over EY for J/F seats?

1.) Did they give you anything on board? Any of those extremely overvalued duty free coupons? That's CX's favorite go-to move. I value those things at about 25% of face value.

2.) I think if you're a frequent flier of CX, an upgrade coupon (in addition to the crap duty free coupons) would be the right compensation.

3.) If you don't fly CX often, it's more complicated (because the upgrade coupon I recommend in #2 won't work). I would demand the difference in miles between the J and Y class be refunded to my account. You say you're a partner redemption, presumably AA or BA? Whatever the difference is, I'd demand it. I'm not one to really argue much with airlines, but the greatest purpose IME of ponying up the higher price for J or F is to get the flat bed. If they don't deliver then they've basically failed to deliver what they promised. If you knew the seat was broken you might as well just pay for Y or PEY instead.
Old May 23, 2015, 11:43 pm

Programs: Marco Polo
If you contact CX you will be compensated probably be an op-up offer for your next flight.
Old May 24, 2015, 2:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by QRC3288
you'll need to be proactive. I wouldn't count on CX to reach out to you./

That said, a non-working J or F class seats is a serious problem IME. You blatantly aren't getting what you pay for - else, why the 4-10x premium over EY for J/F seats?

1.) Did they give you anything on board? Any of those extremely overvalued duty free coupons? That's CX's favorite go-to move. I value those things at about 25% of face value.

2.) I think if you're a frequent flier of CX, an upgrade coupon (in addition to the crap duty free coupons) would be the right compensation.

3.) If you don't fly CX often, it's more complicated (because the upgrade coupon I recommend in #2 won't work). I would demand the difference in miles between the J and Y class be refunded to my account. You say you're a partner redemption, presumably AA or BA? Whatever the difference is, I'd demand it. I'm not one to really argue much with airlines, but the greatest purpose IME of ponying up the higher price for J or F is to get the flat bed. If they don't deliver then they've basically failed to deliver what they promised. If you knew the seat was broken you might as well just pay for Y or PEY instead.
I received a first class sleep suit set on board, with the pye coupon attached, if that makes any difference. I don't fly CX often but very likely will fly CX within the next year, so as long the upgrade coupon has at least a year expiry life, I'll be ok with it. What are the rules with the upgrade coupon? I expect it has to a be a paid flight, no awards, but is it only CX stock or can it be a codeshare with CX metal, with a CX PNR?
Old May 24, 2015, 4:47 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
I'm a bit confused by your post. Are you saying that your seat was broken and they got a deadhead to change with you, so you got a working seat and the deadhead got the broken seat?
Old May 24, 2015, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
I'm a bit confused by your post. Are you saying that your seat was broken and they got a deadhead to change with you, so you got a working seat and the deadhead got the broken seat?
That's my reading too. If you switched to a good seat for the rest of the flight and got a PJ for your troubles, I doubt that you will get much additional compensation.
Old May 24, 2015, 5:42 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by brunos
That's my reading too. If you switched to a good seat for the rest of the flight and got a PJ for your troubles, I doubt that you will get much additional compensation.
I wouldn't really think that any compensation was due at all if my reading is correct, unless CX guarantees your pre-selected seat (which I doubt). The PJ would just be a bonus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.