Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

FINALLY... Wifi Reportedly Coming Next year (In 2016 to A350)

Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
This thread is to discuss the wi-fi experience on the A350.

Discussion on 777 / A330 retrofit is discussed in this thread:

​​​​​​​https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1877788-wi-fi-777s-a330s-2020-a.html
Print Wikipost

FINALLY... Wifi Reportedly Coming Next year (In 2016 to A350)

Old May 26, 2015, 1:39 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by AtomicLush
But wifi is already available on many other carriers...JAL for instance. If this was an issue, other airlines would have already figured out how to solve it.
JAL have banned inflight telephone calls and VOIP. I don't know if they have actually blocked VOIP sites, but they tell passengers not to make voice calls.
Old May 26, 2015, 4:31 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
I have not tested it myself, but I am told that it is not possible to block Skype (or anything else) if sent through a VPN connection, unless you block VPN entirely. It's the same issue as censorship in PRC. Of course China can block VPN, but will CX block VPN? That is likely to upset their business customers.

I will try VOIP-OVPN on another carrier next month.
Deep packet inspection will most likely solve this issue.
Old May 26, 2015, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
Last time I tried on Delta, I could Instant Message no problem, but could not stream. iMessage on my iPad would work, but Facetime would not. So obviously there is some way they can control this. (Thank goodness, by the way!) :-)
Old May 26, 2015, 9:10 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by Gongzuokuang
Last time I tried on Delta, I could Instant Message no problem, but could not stream. iMessage on my iPad would work, but Facetime would not. So obviously there is some way they can control this. (Thank goodness, by the way!) :-)
That should be do-able based on QoS setting...

But I think VoIP won't be the greatest problem... It would be instant voice message in Whatsapp, WeChat etc... Many of those walkie-talkie users like to broadcast their received voice messages to the entire public and shout at the bottom of their phone loudly.... That will be what truly annoying...
Old May 26, 2015, 11:42 pm
Suspended

Great news! How do other airline's pricing compare on TPAC?
Old Jul 1, 2015, 1:43 pm

Location: California, USA / Tokyo, Japan / Manila, Philippines
Programs: AA / CX MPO AM / Hyatt Discoverist / Marriott Platinum / Shangri-La
Panasonic wins key license to offer connectivity in Chinese airspace

http://www.runwaygirlnetwork.com/201...nese-airspace/
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:02 pm

Programs: Marco Polo
One thing I'd love to see implemented is seat to seat messaging. That way if your not seated together you can still talk without being an idiot and yelling across the cabin or having to get up and meet in the galley. I find that when I'm travelling with somebody in J, we both end up booking window seats and obviously can't talk at times. I think this chat system would be greatly popular amongst frequent flyers. One way to keep from receiving unwanted messages would be that you have to accept the chat before messages can be sent.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:15 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
I definitely would support seat massages…

Also most of the seat message platforms are too bulky and difficult to use (plus both parties need to enable it, so kind of useless).
Old Jul 2, 2015, 7:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Avios
Originally Posted by KrazyTrain18
One thing I'd love to see implemented is seat to seat messaging. That way if your not seated together you can still talk without being an idiot and yelling across the cabin or having to get up and meet in the galley. I find that when I'm travelling with somebody in J, we both end up booking window seats and obviously can't talk at times. I think this chat system would be greatly popular amongst frequent flyers. One way to keep from receiving unwanted messages would be that you have to accept the chat before messages can be sent.
Sorry, but this is a very stupid idea. This comes to mind:

Old Jul 3, 2015, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by Poon

this problem is solved if
CX has a bar/lounge on the plane

am also surprised CX has not thought of introducing showers in business class...
Old Jul 3, 2015, 8:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Originally Posted by Poon

I didn't know anyone prefers non-stop chatting on plane. Heaven that I haven't meet any yet. Giving these people Wifi makes my flight even more comfortable (in my ears)
Old Jul 4, 2015, 5:12 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
how would they control WIFI hotspot by pax? I pay for the service, and enable hotspot to allow 4 other family member to use it?
Old Jul 4, 2015, 6:03 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by fakecd
how would they control WIFI hotspot by pax? I pay for the service, and enable hotspot to allow 4 other family member to use it?
Likely by charging a fortune for the usage similar to SQ.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 9:32 pm

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Originally Posted by chris19992
Likely by charging a fortune for the usage similar to SQ.
If its the same system on United Airlines or EVA, your allowed one device at any single time, which means when you sign on your phone, then it will sign off on the computer, ect.... UNited sign on and payment is nice, its linked to your mileage account, a system I like rather than inputing payment info each time.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:46 am

Plane is really not the time to hold a business meeting, chat it up, or whatever. In such a confined space and most people wants peace and quiet, the best thing to do is to respect that, and do some work/watch AVOD is you can't sleep. WiFi help passes the time, that should be it's only function. Take away any ability for end-to-end voice and text communications, it can be easily done by QoS, and blocking vendor specific ports/protocols.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.