Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Potential August 2015 Flight Attendant strike

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2015, 7:21 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
Original Poster

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member

不滿資方懶理訴求 工會鐵定明早包圍國泰城

http://hk.on.cc/hk/bkn/cnt/news/2015...00822_001.html

Effective? Doubt it, with 200 staff today at best. But keep monitoring...
Old May 20, 2015, 7:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Wirelessly posted (Xperia Z: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 5.0.2; D6503 Build/23.1.A.0.726) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/42.0.2311.111 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Plus it's raining cats and dogs next few days....
Old May 20, 2015, 8:17 am

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
I'll go check it out - starts at 10am.

Worlds best cabin crew in action!
Old May 20, 2015, 7:00 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Manila bound flights got affected yesterday...heard some passengers in Manila are being endorsed to other carriers.
Old May 20, 2015, 7:17 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Hopefully tomorrow they'll just move to an SQ flight. Double dipping time!
Old May 20, 2015, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Apparently the complaints include (heard from radio on mad scramble to work this morn):

1. decreased pay increase when FAs move from being contract staff (which they seem to all be initially) to perm staff

2. introduction of fixed menu at outports and adjusting outport meal allowances to match
Old May 20, 2015, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

SCMP http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/e...deadline-talks

350 FAs today
Planned strike in August <-- I'm not flying that month so gd luck to those who do
Old May 20, 2015, 9:49 pm

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
Originally Posted by percysmith
Apparently the complaints include (heard from radio on mad scramble to work this morn):

1. decreased pay increase when FAs move from being contract staff (which they seem to all be initially) to perm staff

2. introduction of fixed menu at outports and adjusting outport meal allowances to match
The problems are genuinely warranted IMO. What I don't understand is why make such drastic cuts that impact such a large number of the workforce (especially when CX is worlds best crew). It's 1000x easier to simply exploit other areas of the business to generate *more* cash than to agitate 10,000 crew who are already living on the poverty line.

The other issue is housing/living assistance being cut by nearly 40%. For a cabin crew this makes living in Hong Kong unaffordable. The only rationale I can think of for this move is to 'try it on for size' to see if it sticks as a cost saving measure - OR - a way to keep crew for only (8 ? number may be off) years.

Just like governments fail because they focus on taxation - CX could benefit from realising they're a marketing company that happens to own an airline. There's significant high revenue opportunities in other areas of the biz - focus on those and let it pay for the airline. That instantly drives out competition in the airline space as nobody can compete. Win win.
Old May 21, 2015, 12:16 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A501 Safari/9537.53)

Most junior staff is hk based so they are just like many local kids who cannot afford housing. And heh, i hv the impression that cc hv more meals paid for than an average worker in hk.
Old May 21, 2015, 12:28 am
Original Poster

(JQHK dig warning) Govt issuing a liberal interpretation of PPB will help the FAs here...

More employers for FAs means more competition for the HK FA labour pool, even if JQHK can't match CX pay (is it that hard?).
Old May 21, 2015, 6:47 am

Any idea if the strike threat in August would affect Cathay Pacific flights only or also Dragon Air flights?
Old May 21, 2015, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: QFF SG, VA SL, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
CX will cave in pretty quick as they always do - just waiting to see which way public sentiment swings but as usual most HK people will be unimpressed with their attempts to cut pay to their already underpaid front line staff.
Old May 22, 2015, 10:51 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A501 Safari/9537.53)

Are they underpaid? I dont hv a job that pays me to eat a meal that i dont hv to pay (or even hv change to take home)
Old May 22, 2015, 11:28 am

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
To be fair, some of the demands from the FAU are pretty ridiculous... outport lunch allowance in MEL they want it raised from A$35 to A$60? Where are they eating? You can easily get a good lunch for under A$25... They also want everyone to get paid the same amount regardless of how long the staff has worked for the company.. so someone who just joined the airline for 3 year would get paid the same amount per hour as someone who's been working with the airline for 8 years... does not seem to make any sense to me at all... What happened to seniority and loyalty to the company?
Old May 22, 2015, 7:54 pm
Suspended

Oh no! I was planning to fly in August. What are the chances it will drag on for 3 months??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.