Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX to end I class fares ex-Japan to NA/EU

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2015, 12:25 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan
Original Poster

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE

According to a Japanese notice sent out to travel agents, CX is changing the rules and fare structure for its fares ex-Japan to North America and Europe as of May 21, 2015. The biggest change is the ending of the very reasonably-priced I class fares (both D and I for North America) and the end of HKG stopovers on the outbound portion of the itinerary (inbound stopovers are still allowed).

A real shame -- these were very good value. This could be a sign of things to come for the ex-Taiwan I fares...
Old May 18, 2015, 2:48 am

Programs: CX GO, AC Altitude, Radisson Gold
Even though they may be ending this fare in a couple of days time, I trust CX will still honor all I class fare/tickets that have already been issued. In fact, just tried a dummy booking and this fare is still available for December (to NA).
Old May 18, 2015, 3:18 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
FWIW, I don't think CX's ex-TPE I fares to NA have been all that attractive for a while. Sure, they still may be significantly cheaper than ex-HKG, but I think there are better value ways to get to NA these days.

If one is willing to forego oneworld, BR and CI offer good products nowadays. And staying in oneworld, JL X fares ex-TPE are significantly cheaper than CX, and even AA's fares are over US$1K cheaper than CX, with AA offering virtually the same hard product.

I know many would think it sacrilege to fly AA, but I hardly think the slop that CX serves in J and the uneven service standards are worth that much of a premium. Of course, YMMV.
Old May 18, 2015, 6:34 am

Programs: CX Gold
Sad news... But I would have thought they would just jack up those I prices instead of removing the whole fare class? I don't see they getting rid of 'Business save' entirely...
Old May 18, 2015, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I fares exTPE to many destinations also got the stopover removed some time ago (say a year).
Old May 18, 2015, 11:46 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
As an E fare buyer I find ex-PVG/PEK TPAC prices much more attractive nowadays
Old May 27, 2015, 2:14 am
RDP

Programs: MPC Silver, and other baseline accounts.
This really impacts my travel plans. I switched to CX for the only reason that the I fare existed. Yes, I am based in Tokyo.

If YYZ (Toronto) is my destination what are the other alternatives for travel without breaking the bank?

What is this JL x fare? I guess I need to do some searching.

Earlier it was noted that the BR and CI product is good, but what about prices?

On CX D Fares still exist but are on average USD $1k more than the old I fare.

bummer!

thanks,
RDP
Old Jun 4, 2015, 4:42 am
RDP

I am bumping this out of the hope that someone might have some alternative recommendations. I have found out what JAL X fares are, but so far have not discovered the best method to track them down.

thank so much,
RDP
Old Jun 23, 2015, 12:55 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
I've heard the reason why the I fares ex JPN have been eliminated is because quite a few 強國人 (strong country people)," would get tickets issued from CTS, KIX, HND, etc and would skip the last portion of the ticket.

Last edited by 77W_12A; Jun 23, 2015 at 1:01 pm
Old Jun 23, 2015, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by gemini573
I've heard the reason why the I fares ex JPN have been eliminated is because quite a few 強國人 (strong country people)," would get tickets issued from CTS, KIX, HND, etc and would skip the last portion of the ticket.
This seems silly though considering that due to the inbound free stopover at HKG, they would use the last segment to begin the next ticket should they know when their next travel dates would be.
(also, I somehow doubt it's only mainlanders doing this...)
Old Jun 23, 2015, 6:35 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
This seems silly though considering that due to the inbound free stopover at HKG, they would use the last segment to begin the next ticket should they know when their next travel dates would be.
(also, I somehow doubt it's only mainlanders doing this...)
Exactly, if that is the reason, that will be a poor excuse.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by gemini573
You must believe fuel dumping was invented by the Chinese, lol
Old Jun 23, 2015, 7:37 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan
Original Poster

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
I speculate that it's more related to currency issues -- the 20-25% fall in the JPY relative to the USD/HKG over the past year or so probably made the fares unprofitable for CX.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by armagebedar
I speculate that it's more related to currency issues -- the 20-25% fall in the JPY relative to the USD/HKG over the past year or so probably made the fares unprofitable for CX.
But then they could certainly increase the price denominated in JPY, which might not be a problem for ex-Japan business travelers working for companies based in the U.S. (or with USD as the reporting currency)
Old Jun 24, 2015, 2:03 am
RDP

Put a proof of residency restriction on the ticket and then if the fare is truly marketed for the Japanese market then they get those people, except for the truly inventive types out there, they will always/usually find a way to circumvent the rules. I would be happy to provide proof of address (utility bill, etc.) to obtain the fare.

Of course, the argument for the strong change in the currency is convincing as well....

No matter, I still have no idea how to travel to YYZ reasonably in J now that this ticket is gone. My checking into JAL X fares out of TPE really hasn't shown me anything of value yet.

RDP

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.