self upgrader

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2015, 3:20 am
Formerly known as linzbh
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
self upgrader

Greetings form KLIA.

Just thought I would share, my dismay with a passenger on CX767 this morning, who decided to self upgrade himself from Y to W with no intervention from the cabin crew when they came around to do service.
This guy was sitting in our seats when we arrived, asked him to move, then 10 minutes later another passenger kicked him out of their seat then 2 mins after take off he made a bee line to PE.

Never have considered this myself but has it seems tolerated maybe on my return Y trip in a few weeks I will self upgrade too! :P Just kidding.
Old May 8, 2015, 3:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
wow! crazy
Old May 8, 2015, 4:09 am

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
You should have alerted the cabin crew.

They would not have been able to know who should be sat where in Y/Y+ class.
Old May 8, 2015, 4:15 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Y to PE will be hard to police if busy cabin.
PE to J or J to F will be easier.
Old May 8, 2015, 4:35 am

Programs: CX GO (in hibernation mode), AA EXP, SPG GO, HH DM
good to know...guess i'll have to self upgrade myself in the future!! j/p
Old May 8, 2015, 9:08 am

when there are women repeatedly get pass security onto plane and to the destination with no issues, I guess self upgrader isn't that bad..

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/02/10...-minnesota-to/
Old May 8, 2015, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
Y to PE will be hard to police if busy cabin.
PE to J or J to F will be easier.
The problem is this is becoming an annoying pattern it seems. Y fliers are noticing PEY is regularly empty, and will help themselves. As I've said before I had to kick a person off my seat after meal service. It's ridiculous. There's no way the crew doesn't know this but just decided to ignore it. I've even seem one person jumped to J class and slept there most of the flight and only caught after J crew was giving meal service and asked him to leave. Ridiculous.
Old May 9, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
The problem is this is becoming an annoying pattern it seems. Y fliers are noticing PEY is regularly empty, and will help themselves. As I've said before I had to kick a person off my seat after meal service. It's ridiculous. There's no way the crew doesn't know this but just decided to ignore it. I've even seem one person jumped to J class and slept there most of the flight and only caught after J crew was giving meal service and asked him to leave. Ridiculous.
You should write to Cathay ask them to follow-up on this issue.

A few months ago, I flew ADL - HKG in J and a PY pax helped himself into the nearly empty mini-J cabin. Little did he know that one of the Pursers had seen him and a few minutes later the Inflight Service Manager shouted: "Sir, this is Business Class. Please go back to your ticketed seat, NOW!" The guy then had the nerve to try to steal a pillow but the ISM (who by this point was already very annoyed) told him "That pillow is for our Business Class only."

I admit, I enjoyed every second of it. Business Class is no place for PY and Y pax.
Old May 9, 2015, 3:58 pm

Programs: MPC, OneWorld, 1865 Voyager, Hyatt, Horizon Club
Doesn't help when they leave the curtains opened either.

So glad I don't usually sit at the back of the cabin in PEY or J.
Old May 9, 2015, 7:54 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Should have alerted the cabin crew. Many folks do not know that PY is a separate class of service especially since they don't close the curtains.
Old May 9, 2015, 8:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If OP was dismayed, he should have done something. If he chose to let it go onboard, he should let it go now.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 10:49 pm

China does it right: 3 pax with only Economy tickets going on the empty Premium Economy to Shanghai, FA reported to local police, they came on-board and arrested the 3 of them. CX take note? (It's a local Chinese airline)
Old Jul 4, 2015, 7:09 am

Programs: Meh
China does it right: 3 pax with only Economy tickets going on the empty Premium Economy to Shanghai, FA reported to local police, they came on-board and arrested the 3 of them. CX take note? (It's a local Chinese airline)
Seriously you agree that people jumping into empty seats on a plane is an arrestable offence..... Wow
Old Jul 4, 2015, 7:18 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
Originally Posted by stevie
Seriously you agree that people jumping into empty seats on a plane is an arrestable offence..... Wow
If it's an empty seat in a class higher than what you paid for, then why not? If you've spent any time in the region, you'll no doubt appreciate that a zero tolerance policy is the only thing that will work for nationals of certain markets.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 9:13 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by Too much travel
If it's an empty seat in a class higher than what you paid for, then why not? If you've spent any time in the region, you'll no doubt appreciate that a zero tolerance policy is the only thing that will work for nationals of certain markets.
Because I think using police resources to deal with people chancing their arm trying to get into a better seat, probably out of ignorance, is uncalled for, and way over the top. The crew should deal firmly with it.

Last edited by cxfan1960; Jul 4, 2015 at 1:45 pm Reason: Presumptive statement removed by mod to avoid unnecessary discussion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.