self upgrader

Old Jul 4, 2015, 9:19 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
the problem is easily preventable by closing a curtain betweeb Y and PEY but i almost never see them do it.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 1:43 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by fakecd
the problem is easily preventable by closing a curtain betweeb Y and PEY but i almost never see them do it.
Do you mean CX? The curtains were always closed on all my CX flights when I was in Y or PEY.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by stevie
Because I think using police resources to deal with people chancing their arm trying to get into a better seat, probably out of ignorance, is uncalled for, and way over the top. The crew should deal firmly with it.
Without hearing the whole story, it is difficult to say what actually happened - did the crew already instruct them to return to their cabin and they did not comply?

If these passengers did not do anything else, they might not be charged or placed in administrative detention. They might just be taken away to be warned or put on the no-fly list.

CX does report ill-behaved passengers or those not following crew's orders to police. A few years ago, a rich Hong Kong woman in J was taken by police because she refused to follow crew's instruction to stow away her handbag (?) when landing.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 3:53 pm

Programs: NZ, QF
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
Do you mean CX? The curtains were always closed on all my CX flights when I was in Y or PEY.
Not consistent with my experience when flying in PEY on HKG-AKL (in A340). Most of the time, the crew left the curtains between PEY and Y open, probably owing to PEY/Y lavatories located at the back of the aircraft.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 4:43 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
yes cx but i am talking short haul.

for long haul, my recent memory is entirely on 33g which were mostly left open even lousy attempt to close them. must be lavoratory issue
Old Jul 4, 2015, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Because I think using police resources to deal with people chancing their arm trying to get into a better seat, probably out of ignorance, is uncalled for, and way over the top. The crew should deal firmly with it.
Please. They thought that even though their assigned seats were rear cabin, they had no idea that they couldn't just go up front and sit in a seat which was twice as large as long as it was empty? Sorry, I think not.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 8:36 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
According to the fruit daily online, after that 3 people moved forward others follow suits and crew used lots of time to ask people to get back to the rear due to unbalanced flight, but this 3 people refused... So... Maybe they can charge them for threatening flight safety...

Nevertheless ignorance is not a valid legal excuse... And they have been warned...
Old Jul 5, 2015, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by sscywong
According to the fruit daily online, after that 3 people moved forward others follow suits and crew used lots of time to ask people to get back to the rear due to unbalanced flight, but this 3 people refused... So... Maybe they can charge them for threatening flight safety...

Nevertheless ignorance is not a valid legal excuse... And they have been warned...
That is more than ignoring crew's instruction. It is an offense enough for getting administrative detention and on the no-fly list.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 11:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
That is more than ignoring crew's instruction. It is an offense enough for getting administrative detention and on the no-fly list.
In many jurisdictions, it would be theft of service.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
What is "administrative detention"? Sounds like a time-out you give children.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
What is "administrative detention"? Sounds like a time-out you give children.
It is quite similar to time-out given to children. In this case, police plays the role of the parents and the suspects play the role of children, and the maximum time-out for China is, IIRC, 15 days.

This seems like an appropriate "punishment" for self-upgraders (and ill-behaved passengers).
Old Jul 6, 2015, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

self upgrader

If CX could enable on-board paid upgrades (via handheld CC machine), this "problem" could easily go away. You just say "Mr. Smith/Chen - I see you are enjoying our larger PE seats, we're happy to let you stay there for the rest of the fight for $500, otherwise you'll have to return back to your assigned seat." Sure, CX would have to get over their only-pay-the-fare-difference policy, but maybe they'd make a few bucks too.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
If CX could enable on-board paid upgrades (via handheld CC machine), this "problem" could easily go away. You just say "Mr. Smith/Chen - I see you are enjoying our larger PE seats, we're happy to let you stay there for the rest of the fight for $500, otherwise you'll have to return back to your assigned seat." Sure, CX would have to get over their only-pay-the-fare-difference policy, but maybe they'd make a few bucks too.
CX can probably do onboard upgrades, but that won't stop some passengers to grab available seats - as they are empty anyway, why pay?
Old Jul 6, 2015, 2:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
A very simple solution to this will be to use weight sensors like cars (the sensors car use to determine if there is a front seat passenger and turn on airbag). If those are installed on 15k usd cars they cant be expensive either.

Using these with some software to alert the crew if more than expected seats are in use in any cabin >=PE.

Another potential approach is to make a record of passengers who are self upgrading (BPs have seat numbers which have enough information to track them). Something like warning for the first 2 times and then put them on Nofly list for the airline until they have paid the difference between the cabins.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 7:06 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Any idea if SQ pey faces the same issue as CX? It seems this thread emphasizes how easy it is for one to jump between Y and PEY....curious what SQs approach is. aren't they rolling out PEY too?

For CX, PEY seems to be a thing they sell as a separate class to travelers, but internally they're less concerned about the distinction provided enough of us pay for it. For example, regionally the curtain is often left open and there appears to be zero service differentiation.

Anyway, curious if SQ pey has this self upgrading phenomenon.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.