Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel with 27" iMac

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2015, 4:14 am
Original Poster

Travel with 27" iMac

Just booked my first award first class ticket.

The route is
SFO-HND (Japan Airlines first class)
HND-HKG (Cathay Pacific first class)
HKG-TPE (Cathay Pacific business class)

Now I'm hoping to bring a 27" iMac in its original case, in addition to my carry-on (with a laptop inside). Would I be allowed to board with these two pieces?

If this doesn't work, can I bring the iMac and a laptop backpack?
Old Apr 25, 2015, 4:22 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
How big is the case?
Old Apr 25, 2015, 8:36 am

The box for the newest 27-inch iMac is 30 inches wide and 24 inches high (and 11 inches deep)

would think it will be very difficult to get that box on a plane (let alone three planes)
Old Apr 25, 2015, 5:27 pm

Programs: JGC Sapphire
I am unable to speak of ex-SFO.

But if you are on transit, normally the air-side transit security would turn a blind eye unless it is obviously going to cause a problem...so your biggest problem would be at SFO. Will SFO's TSA let you bring such an item?

Just curious though, if you are carrying such a fragile item, why don't you do SFO-HND-TSA all on JL, save time, fewer transits, less likely to go wrong if you have to send it as a check baggage.

My experience with JL is everything gets treated rather gently if it has a fragile tag, depends on the airport, mine was on a cart with all fragile tag items next to the conveyor belt, instead of "on the conveyor belt". If there is only 1 airline for the whole trip, they would not be able to blame the another airline for the damage.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 8:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B142 Safari/8536.25)

I would agree with nshizuoka25...
Old Apr 25, 2015, 8:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B142 Safari/8536.25)

Not to mention cx f has nothing to rave about.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Why wouldn't you just check it? I would hate to carry that thing around...
Old Apr 25, 2015, 8:51 pm

No experience on CX per se. But I've had experience transporting two boxes of Lego which is about the same size on JL from SFO to SIN via TYO. The airline put it in a fairly sturdy looking plastic box and everything came out perfectly at the final destination.

Last edited by carrotjuice; Apr 25, 2015 at 9:08 pm
Old Apr 25, 2015, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
Why wouldn't you just check it? I would hate to carry that thing around...
in case it gets damaged?
Old Apr 26, 2015, 12:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
in case it gets damaged?
In its original packaging that it traversed half the planet via trucks and boats?
Old Apr 26, 2015, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would not check-it in with all the marketing logos on it, as not to tempt anyone enroute to "lose" it: either in a suitcase, or, if it was shipped individually (e.g. Amazon or Apple online), in the plain looking box it traversed it last several hundred kilometers as a package.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 3:15 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
In its original packaging that it traversed half the planet via trucks and boats?
Goods haven't been loose loaded for years. That final retail packaging is not the outer packaging during transit.

At the very least it will be palleted, with a wrap around the outside. Most likely in a solid walled container.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 3:19 am

Programs: MUCCI
Looking at the box of a 'late 2012' 27 inch iMac, I'm not at all confident it would fit through many airport x-ray machines, regardless of orientation. So I'm not confident of it going like that.

That said, I think the 27" iMac itself could be boxed/bagged tightly enough to travel as cabin luggage (doesn't need too much protection, as you will be there to look after it). Send the empty box (suitably disguised on outside) as hold luggage.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 4:02 am

Programs: SK*G, QR*G
I brought a 5K iMac OSL FRA PVG a couple of weeks ago. This was in the original box as I received it, however it came not only with the white box with the iMac pictures, but in a brown box outside this.

I didn't feel scared to check this, and it went fine. I wouldn't hesitate to do this again.

The box is bigger than a suitcase, so no it would never work to carry on in the box.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I don't think there is a realistic chance that you will be allowed that as hand luggage in all three flights.

In fact, having it accepted in SFO would be a poisoned gift as I think that there is zero chance it will be allowed at HND. Japan is a country where people are always extremely nice and polite but where typically, a rule is a rule and deviating from it is frowned upon a lot. Your proposed "carry on" would vastly exceed the allowed size and checking it mid-way through your trip rather than from the start might be more awkward.

Either leave it at home or pack it well and plan to have it as checked luggage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.