Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

18/4 CX 254 delay - CX pilot arrested with knives in carry on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2015, 5:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM

Captain greeted the passengers and plane was ready to take off. Everyone sitting inside cabin for one hour and suddenly the First Officer made an announcement that the flight was cancelled due to crew problem. Meal served and later transported to Sofitel. Breakfast there and transported back to airport at 11:00. Waiting for departure at 14:30.
Any idea of the crew problem? Captain sick? Or on strike?
CX didn't mention the reason on the letter of delay and only tick at other without filling a reason!
Old Apr 19, 2015, 5:47 pm

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2...ific-hong-kong
Old Apr 19, 2015, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
What's with the tail coloring in that photo? Front one looks dark green; and the rest look dark blue. Please tell me that I'm not the only one who sees that.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM
Glad that No tragic accident happened even we were delayed n staying in Sofitel for one night.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 11:47 pm

Geez, I assume it was probably nothing but I'm glad no-one is taking any chances with that sort of thing at the moment...
Old Apr 20, 2015, 4:09 am

Taking chances? :roll eyes:

Pilots eat with -knives- and forks. I dare say the crow bar sitting next to the pilots could do more damage than a pocket/camping/army/whatever knife should one have a moment.

It's simply the LHR security drones at their finest.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by CXhk
Taking chances? :roll eyes:

Pilots eat with -knives- and forks. I dare say the crow bar sitting next to the pilots could do more damage than a pocket/camping/army/whatever knife should one have a moment.

It's simply the LHR security drones at their finest.
Yep, these security trolls, again and again in their own internal tests, shown they can stop a grandma from taking her nail clippers, but can't stop any real bombs and threats.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 5:42 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
This is utterly absurd given that the pilot would have access to an axe in the cockpit! I hope that some good can come of this and that some of this absurd security theatre can be assigned to history.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 4:33 pm

Well the article doesn't say what kind of knife he had. If it was a pocket knife, then I agree, security overreaction. If it was a Crocodile Dundee machete, then I'm with security...
Old Apr 20, 2015, 4:35 pm
Suspended

Is there any actual detail on this yet?

What I got was "Officers attended and subsequently a member of the flight crew, a man, was arrested on suspicion of possession of an offensive weapon in a public place and possession of a knife blade / sharp pointed article in a public place."

What stupidity is this?

Possession of a knife blade in a public place? Does that mean that everyone in restaurants in England can be rounded up and arrested?

"Sharp pointed article?"

Pencils? Can you be arrested for holding a pencil in a public place in England?

Talk about broad language.

Was this a pen knife in checked baggage or was he sneaking a machete into the cockpit? There is a huge difference. My gut tells me, given that this is England, it's going to be the former.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 4:51 pm
Suspended

Some articles are saying it was in the hand luggage. No description of what the "knives" are but the police spokesman is bragging about how strict Heathrow is saying you can't even have a toothbrush (and toothpaste).

But really... no toothbrush?

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/a...ng-kong-flight
Old Apr 20, 2015, 5:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

A pilot really should know better.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 10:59 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond
Title of the thread is totally misleading to what actually has happened.
It should be "A CX pilot arrested with knife at Heathrow" instead of "18/4 CX 254 delay". This is an incident not a delay.
http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/cathay-pacific-pilot-arrested-for-allegedly-carrying-knives-on-flight/story-fnizu68q-1227313289913
Old Apr 21, 2015, 1:03 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by vinx
It should be "A CX pilot arrested with knife at Heathrow" instead of "18/4 CX 254 delay". This is an incident not a delay.
http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel...-1227313289913
to be fair, there was another thread with that title. it got merged into this one. i think the comments in this thread are questioning what, exactly, the pilot was caught for. the article you link to is rather spartan on details. the SCMP articles have a little more, but still nobody has confirmed what exactly he was caught with.

as mentioned...the pilot has access to an axe near the cockpit. not to mention, he has complete access to the controls of the airplane.... the pilot can do plenty of bad things if they are so inclined without bothering with weapons. my money is on it ends up being pocket knives, kitchen knives, etc by accident.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 3:46 am

Programs: AA lifetime GOLD, but still an AA Baby compare to people here. CX nobody. BR Silver.
Originally Posted by vinx
http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel...-1227313289913
I think at the time of the post, the OP does not know what happened. He just knew 254 was delayed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.